Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Somebody else did mention the chargers are not too bad. Beyond this, most batteries are easily removed. There are a few brands trying to make the bikes look less like obvious electric bikes that are making this complicated. They will build it into the frame. I only ever saw road/commuter bikes pulling that stunt but you'd want to verify with a mountain bike. If it looks like a black chunk hanging off the frame then I've never seen one that can't readily be popped off. So you can take that over to wherever to charge it up, and you can bring more than one. Those are a lot chunkier than the chargers. I got two batteries when I ordered mine, but I can't really deal with transporting the second one yet until I get my panniers. I guess this gets harder if you're really hauling on some rough terrain and don't want to deal with a rack.

I saw two different people gloating about solar charging, but they were both living off the grid and were million-year-old graybeard flower children. Hats off to them, but you're probably wanting to be riding in a forest during the day.

Final thing here is to make sure the places you want to take the bike are okay with you using it there. I haven't been following this closely because it isn't my jam, but I heard something about US National Parks opening up for electric bikes recently. State and lower parks are a crap shoot. I've wondered about this even cutting through a neighborhood to ride around. You'll see a sign about no motor vehicles and wonder if you're going to get poo poo about it. There's a common set of laws they're trying to get passed around the country that would exempt electric bikes of the typical classes in the OP from this, but some hardass can still hardass.

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you don't get the fancy Bosch middrive, and look for Chinese solution , most of their batteries can be brought for $400-600 separately. So just get a 2nd battery for the road trip. Also what you describe doesn't require a full suspension eMTB.

Frankly, most of the non MTB need can be met by Radbike's lineup, and their batteries are all interchangeable.

I don't want to dismiss you guys but the types of bikes n8r (I assume) and other mountain bikes are talking about are something like this: https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/heckler

Most of us are dropping $4-7K on our regular mountain bike. $7-12K is kind of the price range for a real FS mountain e-bike. Just look at what the Levo SL costs...

There is also a sort of turf war going on with non ebike and ebike riders. There is a lot of concern around mountain bikes with motors leading to land managers closing areas to bikes all together. Thankfully we have generally only seen ebikes banned and not mountain bikes all together. You see the mountain bikers who fought for 30 years to make us not motor bikes as that was originally where we were lumped in and they get really worried.Personally I have no issues other then giving an eye roll with secret jealously on brutal long climbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Safety Dance posted:

There are cheaper entry level mountain bikes. A Diamondback Sync'r 24 is less than $900. I'd guess that n8r secretly wants a hardtail gravel/touring bike with knobbies and a front suspension rather than a full sus trail bike for going off jumps and such.

That is a bike for kids dude....... and not an e-mtb.

All I can tell you is I see a lot of e-mountain bikes on the trails in Colorado and they are pretty much all Spec or SC or something similar. It is fine to have no idea about the e-mtb world.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Safety Dance posted:

I know, I'm talking about the $4-7k figure you quoted for regular mountain bikes. I'm pointing out that you can get a solid hardtail for a lot less than that. If not a Sync'r, then a Mason 1 or an Overdrive 29. Truth be told though, I know nothing about mountain bikes except for what I see on Seth's Bike Hacks, and the dude's like 5' nothing so he could probably rock a Sync'r 24.

You can't even get an adult mountain bike in a 26" wheel, come on man. Diamondback is an entry level brand, which is fine but it is what it is. If you want a hardtail regular bike then yes they start about $1000 (I will stop talking about regular bikes though, not the point of this thread). Trek's e-mtb hardtails (designed for actual mountain biking) start at about $3500. I am sure there are cheaper options out there though although a quick look around doesn't seem to find anything I would feel comfortable riding on mountain bike trails.

E-mtb question are probably best for the mountain biking thread.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 28, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't know if they're actually any good but frey.bike seems to make nicely priced mountain bikes but to get one you're ordering from China. From my research buying named major brands gets you less in the way of hardware but support would be better.

Anyway I'm waiting for my Ride1up lmt'd I opted to go cheapish as I wasn't sure I'd use it. Too hilly to go for the cheapest options. If I like it/actually use it I'll probably get something nicer.

Components look OK and looks like somewhere between $2500-3500 for one depending on the model. Plus another $200-300 on a dropper seat post. I don't really want to drop that much money on a bike I have never been on but people do it (there are a lot of direct to consumer bikes that do that to cut costs). I am not sure I would want to ride the Frey bike but it could work out. I am not sure how they are able to price it so low honestly, I assume they buy everything at a discount in China. You have $1100 worth of shocks (sure that is consumer prices but even so how low is Rockshox going to go). $160 in tires... When you start to price things up I just have to wonder how they can produce the bike with out some shady poo poo going on. If I am really honest though...it has a spot for a kickstand and comes with one....on a mountain bike. Like I said I am sure there are many other options out there. I am reading a pretty detailed unboxing and it was $800 to ship it to the US, Ouch. The motor size/control would also be an issue on a number of trails that do allow ebikes. I might just keep editing this as it is fun...68 lbs though, the SC Heckler is 47 lbs.

I will stop making GBS threads up the thread though. It anyone has a frey bike and is in colorado I would love to see it go down longhorn and see how it does.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 28, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Love new bike day.

I can't get over the top tube not meeting the top arms of the rear triangle though

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Safety Dance posted:

My pedals, on the other hand, have these traction studs on them that have absolutely torn up my legs.

Were you just falling off the pedals riding around town?

All things equal pedals with good studs keep your feet on them and are much safer than cheap pedals.

Really good pedals
Pretty good pedals (this is what Kimbo is basically suggesting)
Really cheap pedals

Sounds like you want the last version but they will provide the least amount of grip, especially when wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Safety Dance posted:

I'm going to pull the studs out and see how they feel, but I think I'll wind up just getting the Race Faces you posted.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. You should get pretty good grip without the stabbing of pins on those Race Face ones.