Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was riding around on my ebike and a peddle just came completely off, stripped the thread and everything.

Are you gonna have to replace the crank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anybody complain about Shimano. Hmm, that's actually a hell of a reputation to have.

About their ebike components? There's a few issues they have with their last generation groupset, one of which is just sort of accepted as a wear item.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Barely concealed ad for Rad ebikes:
https://earther.gizmodo.com/riding-an-e-bike-has-changed-my-entire-perspective-on-h-1844575886
They get called out in the comment for not disclosing that Rad loaned them the bike.

Also

quote:

While it’s true they can be a bit pricey (a decent entry-level bike clocks in at around $1,000)
:hmmno:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Crosswinds do matter. It's heavy. Never felt a gust quite like that on a bike before.

Everything else equal, a heavier bike will be more stable in a crosswind. It might be the particular geometry that makes it more sensitive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's a minimum component quality level for a device that serves as daily transport, and cheap ebikes don't pass the bar yet. While big players continue to push bikes that defeat themselves for continued use, there's gonna be an adoption issue. You can push the price down to $500, but it won't last any longer, perputating the attitude that it's just a gimmick.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

What qualifies as decent? I don't know if bicycles, much less ebikes, are ever going be the kind of mindless-daily-transport that a small car is today.
Plenty of people do it already. Much of the world is simply deeply entrenched into driving.

quote:

The drivetrain is exposed, the parts are smaller and necessarily lighter, and maintenance intervals are smaller.
And it’s easier to work on at home than a car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Did it have a bad drain or did it underreport range?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

My pedals, on the other hand, have these traction studs on them that have absolutely torn up my legs.

Then this morning I went to REI to get new pedals (they didn't have any without the studs)

Sometimes the pins are removable. If you get plastic pedals with molded pins, you could also file them down some.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Good advice:
https://twitter.com/SimonCowell/status/1292629837790601216

Loose QR? stem?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can you post a sample stretch of the road? Essentially you'll be in a lane of car traffic? What's the normal driving speed of the road?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Helmets are not designed to have things mounted to them that could crack the foam before it should break.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When you sat you can’t see your gear, which parts are you talking about?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I decided to mess with carrying multiple batteries. Started on my 400Wh and ran that down until the range said 10 miles.

How many miles did it start at?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

1) My wife would like to use a bicycle to commute to work, she already has a regular hybrid and her work aint that far.

Can you be specific? Are you saying she might possibly do the commute on a normal bike?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How many cables are at the front, and what are they for?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I vaguely recall somewhere that you have to particularly pay attention while inflating a fat bike tire because their size really lend themselves to crimping up. It all looked okay so I'm not sure what else to do. All I can think of is to inflate a little, dribble the tire around a little, and then inflate some more, then repeat a few times.

You don’t want to trap the tube between the bead of the tire and the rim. I think that’s relatively easy to avoid on fat tires. If you wanna avoid having the tube fold in on itself, you can try putting extra talcum powder on the tube before putting it in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

However, I think it's too high up. The fat tires particularly don't help there.

Any decently designed bike accounts for its default tire size when setting the height of the bottom bracket (and thus pedals) off the ground.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

It's winter and it's a work bike. Not enough time to pretty it up when you use it every day for 5 hours

Wouldn’t that warrant even more frequent maintenance?

Is that chainring a special part, with that offset?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

marmot25 posted:

Radpower seems to be incompetent or tone deaf with their customer service so I might cancel my wagon order in favor of something like a tern gsd?

If you can swing the difference, you absolutely should.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

aldantefax posted:

R&M Charger 3, which is here in Austin at the bike shop...but it got damage on the front suspension so they have to do a warranty replacement already on it before I even get to ride it!

For higher up trims, e-bikes should really do better than Suntour. Too bad you can’t spec a rigid fork.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Apparently her inseam is somewhere between 24"-26.5". She says she has a pair of comfortable pants that are 26.5" and that goes to her ankle.

If the physical measure on her pant is actually 26.5, then her cycling inseam would be longer, since the seam isn't butting up as hard under the pubic bone, and since there's unmeasured distance from ankle to the floor.

quote:

When we were messing around with seat height for her on our trike, she came in around 28".
28" as in the distance from the crank spindle to the saddle? Or from the saddle to the ground? Only the former measure is useful on its own for estimating her inseam.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 1, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Looking at the frame geometries here:

I'm positive the limiting factor for small riders on the 26" and 24" frames is the reach to the bars, not the ability to adjust the seat down, nor obviously standover.
The reach on the 26" is only 444mm. For comparison, my 5'2" friend was able to ride a 48cm reach bike, with drop bars, so much further forward than those cruiser bars.
And -- the 20" frame reach is 4 mm shorter, which is hilariously bad planning on their part. That's right, the small frame has more reach than the medium frame.
But it's sounding like your mom isn't merely pretty short, but very short?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

She's short but the bigger problem is she has little stubby legs and no flexibility. Where this is a problem is straddling the bike at a stop since apparently both feet have to be on the ground around here.

We didn't really think about that with the trike when we sat her on it and played around on the driveway and road in front of our house. Since it's a trike, she could just sit there at a dead stop.

In normal bikes, you're not supposed to be be able to sit on the saddle and plant your feet flat on the ground. Sure, the Trek cruisers have that geometry, but only with extremely slack effective seat tube angles. You're supposed to scooch off the saddle.

Iirc, your mom has cycling experience? Coming to a stop should go like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNevNqA8sIs&t=9s
When you slow and lean the bike to your planting foot side before/as you come off the saddle.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You'd think then that most step-through bikes should just be fine by default, but apparently they're not (?). I guess the angle of the frame could be so steep that the front of your crotch would still wind up riding on it.

Depends on how thick a person is, but a step through frame is usually lowest ahead of the saddle, which is where you’d generally move off the seat into.
I suppose a very large step through frame still might have too much standover for a very short person.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What requirements are there if any for torque arms? How do hub motors run their wiring?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

You may need a torque arm when you install a front wheel drive kit yourself on a normal bike. FWD is really easy to DIY in an afternoon compare to RWD or middrive kit.
What about RWD, is there any standard for mounting a torque arm? Is it just a glorified P-clamp?

quote:

The hub drive wire is basically an extra power cable goes into the middle of the hub. So if you need to change the tire on a hub motor wheel, you unplug that cable first, and the rest is just like a normal front or rear wheel removal.
Does the hub come with a hollow axle? What path do the wires take such that they're not twisting with the motion of the hub?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was the original ring narrow-wide?

Given the vibrations, you might want to sleeve/cover the wiring from the zipties a bit.

As insurance, you could use a taller bolt head or something in that vein on the bolt behind the crank arm, to act as a chain-drop pin.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If $900 is your budget, you might honestly consider just getting a nice used $500 bike.
The fact that it's half of a bike (Radpower) that's already consider very cheaply built means you're gonna wear stuff out fast, with the prospect of having to pay retail to replace with better parts, when such aftermarket compatibility exists.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A pretty nice used hardtail MTB should let you ride on pretty gnarly stuff if you want to, and still not be woefully inefficient on the road.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Get a name brand with a proven warranty
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-levo/p/184430?color=293256-184430&searchText=95221-7002

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...Code=grey_black

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How quickly does it charge, and how often will you be at camping sites with electrical?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mca797JvwaA

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

: I relied on having my feet flat on the ground for getting out of jams a lot and don't really have good dismounting down, or tight cornering. One thing that compounded that I found starting on a hill is basically impossible.
All the technique stuff should come to you with more practice. Just don't use the electric assist as a crutch for proper technique and balance.

quote:

But then at the top of that driveway and the start of the next one in a slightly more flatter but still very much uphill gradient, a car came the other way, and I had to break, and then I realised I was basically hosed and had to scary dismount via my tiptoes and balls.
On modern hybrids like the Allant+, in a size that fits you, you should have clearance standing astride the bike, flatfooted. Are you really short in the leg?

quote:

Comfort wise it's pretty great, I think it will take some getting used to though. I opted for upgrading the seat to a huge Bioaktive one that did alright but still might need to get used to it. The handlebars also can feel a little more distant than I'm used to.
Pay attention to how much your junk is getting squeezed by all that foam. Numbness can happen quickly. With time, the right saddle might be a narrower, less padded one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

I can definitely stand flat footed if I am off the saddle, like in front of it, which this video points out is the thing to do which i am just finding out about now:

Yeah, when coming to a complete stop for any extended period of time, you'll want to be off your saddle. For the obvious reason that it's more comfortable and lets you plant a wider base.

Coming to a relaxed stop, you can get down to 0.5mph before hopping off.
But in an emergency stop, you'll want to be getting off the saddle sooner as the bike rapidly comes to a halt, giving you more leeway between when your body is and where the bike ends up. Going by what you said, you braked all the way to a stop and stayed in the saddle? If so, probably wouldn't have been as dicy feeling if you'd come off the bike and planted feet sooner.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is that the factory stem?

E: whoop, missed a few posts.

You might try to get a +30 stem and a huge riser bar to get a more secure fit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are those the stock bars they ship? Not bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kaptkobe posted:

No those are the add on a-bars they are really nice

Oh I see. House brand and not actual Jones bars. Though priced the same as the SG Loop.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's an extremely attractive offer for people who were considering dropping multiple thousands on a utility vehicle. Namely, people with considerable means already.
It's a net good for the planet, but don't overlook how many people cannot benefit from this when they might be able to benefit from $1500 toward other things. Like just a normal bike.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLKm5Q-lk_o/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Here's a decent discount for a skinny tire ebike:
https://www.theproscloset.com/products/cannondale-quick-neo-sl-2-fitness-e-bike-2021-medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is that the stock saddle?