Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Nessus posted:

Interesting. Do you have suggestions that are north of my price band here but not drastically so, say up to $2500 US? It is interesting to know these details because I have mostly been shopping on EBR and random bike reviews elsewhere, which brought other manufacturers (like KBO and VanMoof) to my attention. However, everyone's reviews seem to be the same basic thing: Bike goes zoom, what fun, don't drive it in the rain maybe.

VanMoof looks great but does edge out of my planned budget, and I am also somewhat leery of their automatic transmission thing. https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US/s3?color=dark

Biktrix has a several models that can accommodate more than the usual 275 lbs.

My biggest issue with VanMoofs is they have integrated non-removable batteries. Might not be an problem though if you have a bike-friendly outlet to charge at home or outside. If you like the aesthetic of the VanMoof but wary of its price, check the Ride1up Roadster V2. Similar style, but half the price.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

School of How posted:

I just want the best bike money can buy. It seems that the highest end Allant is better than the best Vado. I ride every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, so it makes sense for me to get the best bike I can get.

If you got even more money to burn the Riese & Muller Homage ticks everything I want.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

A lot of the bike companies are either increasing prices or already did this year. I just got an email from my bike maker that they are increasing their prices by an additional $200 starting in August. Tariffs and disrupted supply chains are a bitch.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Charles posted:

And I see discussion of Rad Power Bikes here on this page, how are they able to be so much cheaper than other brands but they say Panasonic or Samsung cells? Just everything else cheaper components + volume? They're pretty popular around here.

They're the mattress-in-the-box equivalent of ebikes and do have some QA issues like the kickstand someone brought up earlier. That being said, they're decent for its price range and are popular enough that your LBS shouldn't have issues doing maintenance on them.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Pedego's are a reliable brand and they have a 5 year warranty. I always recommend getting a bike you can see and try in person versus buying online unseen too.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Want to order a pair of electric bikes for my wife and I

Would be neat if they were matching set: horizontal top tube (me) and step through (her) with a nice paint job, and/or classically styled (interpret this how you want) basically not the super ugly ones with black plastic ebike warts growing out from every which way

Budget $1000-3200 ea

Purpose: bike path 7 miles from house to beach, 95% bike path, plus kid either on back of bike or in a trailer

Nice to have: Bosch/Shimano gear

Requirements: my wife has to not hate biking to the beach, she's average athletic ability. I think this means she needs at least a three speed bike. It's pretty flat where we live, less than 60 foot elevation change across 7 miles if I did my math right. 20mph or whatever the standard limit is, is plenty

I think the van moof S3 looks like a pretty good option at $2400? And then there's this random Chinese thing for $800 which is a much easier to swallow price

https://kbobike.com/products/road-electric-bike?variant=37170888966306

But not seeing any mixte style bikes for my wife, maybe she can just get used to a top tube, but she has a history of crashing her bike on flat ground so I want something she can dismount without twisting her ankle

Seems like there's a huge price range difference, I think this is an area where you get what you pay for? I don't think we need anything too fancy but don't want a pile of poo poo that I'm gonna be wrenching on every month to keep running

Edit: mixte like this, but not $5000, yes I realize what price range/quality that lemond commands, just an example

https://lemond.com/dutch

Edit 2: I think I want a mid-drive unit, if it fits in our budget?

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/models/gazelle-medeo
Has Bosch/Shimano and can select different frame styles as well.

Academician Nomad posted:

It's also a great bike otherwise though. Everything has trade-offs. I love the Gates Carbon drive belt, Enviolo hub, Class 3 option, and battery size. There's no perfect bike that also is cheap.

The motor is really the only question mark. Looking around it's a brand from China called Truckrun.

That being said, I had to pay a thousand dollars more for a bike with similar specs to that. I think that's the cheapest bike I know that has a Enviolo hub and a belt drive.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 2, 2022

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

What's your budget? If money is no object, some of the R&M bikes have full suspension, can carry two batteries, and lets you use your phone as a display.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Agree with above and just avoid a design like Sur Ron (which straight up looks like a dirtbike) and you should be fine.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Depends on how sturdy your walls are and if you're willing to lift 60+ lbs of unwieldy metal every day. Any reason you can't leave it on the floor aside from maybe space? I just use a bike rack like this in my apartment and had no issues.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah ebikes are not really regulated in the US unless you have one that looks like a straight up dirtbike like the Sur Rons. I heard they're more strict in national parks, but I never tried since I use mine mainly for commuting.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

G-III posted:

I'm curious though if there are any other mid-drive + carbon belt bikes I should try out before settling in this one. I looked into evelo because they seemingly have all the same qualities but you can also get them with a throttle all at a cheaper price. However looking at reviews it seems they have a notoriously bad service record. 😞

Any thoughts of what else I should look into?

Specialized Turbos (though I think only the Como and Vado have the belt drive)

halokiller fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 29, 2022

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

my evelo bike is running into some problems mainly with the electrical components, so instead of trying to have it repaired, i might just get a new ebike instead now that I have an idea of what to look for:
-has to be under 50 lbs/23kg without battery so I can bring it when I travel on the train
-has a belt drive and torque sensor
-more a traditional design (ie not a step-thru) so I could use a u-lock instead of a chain and could carry it easier up stairs

I would prefer to have a throttle as well but it's not a dealbreaker. my budget is up to $10k so any good suggestions? my main goal is to get something lightweight but not folding because dealing with a 70+ lb bike can be exhausting

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Tigren posted:

Is there a database/spreadsheet/aggregator of ebikes I can filter through? I want to see all sorts of bikes that are like this https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2023-raleigh-modum/. Compact, 20" wheels, Bosch motor, etc

https://99spokes.com/

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

acidx posted:

Am I misunderstanding your point here, because mid-drives can definitely have throttles too.

The big companies like Bosch, Brose, Shimano, etc don't allow throttles on their motors.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I have regular bike experience but I don’t know anything about e-bikes. Can I get a reasonably decent, reliable e-bike exclusively for urban riding and commuting for under a grand?

Not really. Only one I'd say you could get reliable support is REI's Co-op line and only because their cheapest ebike is currently on sale (at just over a grand)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Gangringo posted:

I really wish a company like Lectric or Aventon would take a crack at a cheap mass produced front loader bike. I don't think my dog being on the back of a longtail would be a problem though. She weighs less than a lot of kids I see being hauled around (55-60lbs) she is just long and lanky and can't fit in a small front basket

Could be because it's a niche design. I don't think I've ever seen a reliable front loader ebike that's below 5 grand.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can someone rec me an electric bike for a combo of commuter + funbike? Mainly riding it as a commuter about 10 miles (each way) along a paved beach path (not a road, like a concrete path bisecting sand). While I don't intend on going raw through actual sand, it might happen and there will def be sand strewn along the path (so probably those fatter smallish tires?). Looking for an ebike because I might be tired/lazy/whatever and want some throttle. Would be nice to have some butt cargo capacity and the capability to carry an adult passenger, but I don't need a full-on cargo bike.

Something like a RadRunner though doesn't have to be exactly that.

I like this one because it's a beach cruiser with a belt drive (less cleaning to do especially with sand/grit), but not sure what the weight limit is on the rear rack.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Veskit posted:

I tried the specialized Vado 5.0 and the gazelle ultimate c380 and liked them both equally for different reasons. If there’s a toss up between the two is there a reason to go with one over the other?

check which one your LBS can easily get parts and do maintenance on

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Hackers film 1995 posted:

seattle is one of the few places that is actually easy to get service from rad lol. at least currently. in the future? who knows

rad also still has their store/service center in ballard and I still see a bunch of rads in seattle, but I also see a bunch of vanmoofs as well (which is even more of a bike elon would design)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/08/10/shared-micromobility-firm-veo-launches-retail-seated-scooter/

Why are all of the scooters with a seat universally complete dogshit? I feel like they should be taking the pedals off an ebike, which doesn't seem that hard, but instead we get this garbage:

Drums? Drums!?! And for $3,500!

they're just trying to re-sell their scooter/ebike hybrid abomination and hate that seattle approved it so now we get this littering everywhere instead of an actually good ebike share setup with docking stations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

that throttle is a generic design that most ebikes brands use so you can easily get one from a different company or aliexpress