Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

It's an extremely attractive offer for people who were considering dropping multiple thousands on a utility vehicle. Namely, people with considerable means already.
It's a net good for the planet, but don't overlook how many people cannot benefit from this when they might be able to benefit from $1500 toward other things. Like just a normal bike.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLKm5Q-lk_o/

It should be attractive for people who were not already thinking about purchasing an ebike as well. In the podcast segment he talks about how it's a refundable tax credit, which means people at lower income levels should be able to receive the full credit. If those people have access to financing they can likely get a loan term that is longer than would be needed to get their refund check and apply it to the loan balance. For a certain segment of people it could be a legitimate alternative to a car and those people could consider selling their car, if they have one.

The instagram post is talking about people who cannot access financing and cannot pay up front. I tend to agree that this bill does not help those people access an ebike.

I'm having trouble imagining replacing my car with an ebike. I regularly transport passengers and travel longer distances, both of which would be impractical on bikes. However, I have replaced some local trips with bike trips. I'm sure smarter people than me have stuff to say about this but a huge obstacle for bicycles and ally for cars is suburbs. They are built to make sense for cars. They space everything out and their roads are designed to dead end to prevent outsiders from wandering in. If density went up bikes would make much more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

I remember the nerd graph from r/ebikes showed if you keep your battery within 30-70%, it will have even longer lifespan than 20-80%.

Anyway, I personally don't worry about staying in the 20-80% range that much anymore, cause so far the batteries in my eboard and ebike last longer than other components, after 3+ years of ownership. The batteries still have about 80% of the original juice.

Get a timer power socket. Either one control by smart speaker or a simple mechanical one.

Batteries cost like $650-$850, it’s worth it to prolong their life even if other components fail and need to be replaced first.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have been ogling ebikes for a bit because I realized that a class 3 bike at 28 mph could probably do my commute as fast as or faster than a car due to being able to ride around traffic. The class system is really bumming me out though. Bike trails and my local singletrack are limited to class 1 so I’d be forced to choose between commuting and recreation. These rules really suck. People blast down the MUPs on regular bikes all the time, even on the MUPs with a 15 mph limit people are doing 25+. It’s not an issue of the machine being capable it’s an issue of responsibility. Anyway I’m just venting cuz I got all excited only to find out the laws create a difficult choice.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I was looking at a specialized and the shop that sells those around here is owned by the guy who maintains the trails and rides them all the time so if I buy from him he's gonna def know what I'm up to. If I go this route I'll probably have a convo with him first to see if this is a really strict rule or more of a "don't be an rear end in a top hat and we don't have a problem" rule.