Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

pro tip: always find and address the source of the flat before replacing the tube. Be mindful of the alignment of the tire (and maybe mark it with a sharpie) when taking it off so you can line up the puncture with the corresponding spot on the tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this is the route (please do not doxx my farm we have nothing of value)

https://tinyurl.com/yy4kye53

my options are basically taking US 130 (the major road) for like 20 pct of the trip or 80 pct. there's a pretty good sized shoulder, but according to that heatmap it looks like no one really rides the stretch i was worried about (i would have to merge across two lanes of non-yielding traffic)

I'm a pretty experienced and confident commuter but drat your options look super lovely. That sucks.

The only option I see that would get you able to totally avoid US 130 puts you on a bunch of back roads with literally no shoulder, which are likely super unsafe at commute hours, especially in the dark in the winter.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I revisited the electric trailer project I was working on earlier. Before I was having a problem getty smooth power output, but I have found a solution by using an old suspension fork with no spring (but still damping) actuate a throttle on the pull bar. One half of the travel increases assist power and the other half of the travel actuates proportional braking.

Despite how janky the front end is attached, I decided to take it out on my routes yesterday and it worked fantastic! Up to a load of about 200lbs it was like not even pulling anything. I ended up loading it up over 350lbs without too much effort, but my poor little 16" tires could not handle much more weight. I'm quite upset about 16" big apples and hook worms being discontinued.

I plan on getting a less janky platform built now that I feel more confident with the e-assist. Also gotta add some safety cutoff, maybe like a jet ski kill switch.

Comes with a good kickstand now?

Legend

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Tell em you want the orangest of orange seal, none of that stan's tire milk.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Dang Ebikes are hella fun, I rented a pair to go riding around with the other day with my partner. Too bad they are banned on a bunch of trails otherwise I’d totally “invest” in one for MTB. :argh:

Edit: are these bans actually enforced or is it cool if I am not an rear end or are there lycra clad patrols roaming the single tracks of the western states? (Colorado in particular)

Don't ride trails where they're banned unless you actually need it for ADA reasons.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I rode an e-bike.
I didn't go farther or faster than normal, but it sure was easy.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dren posted:

I was looking at a specialized and the shop that sells those around here is owned by the guy who maintains the trails and rides them all the time so if I buy from him he's gonna def know what I'm up to. If I go this route I'll probably have a convo with him first to see if this is a really strict rule or more of a "don't be an rear end in a top hat and we don't have a problem" rule.

Figuring out the lay of the land is key.
For context, this is an issue that is very dependent on the ownership of the trails you want to use and the relationship of the local community with that land ownership/management. In many places, just getting Class 1s approved took huge fights, and pushing the limits could remove that entirely. For some folks that would be a bit of a bummer, for folks who need adaptive use options it could mean they just don't get to enjoy the trails at all.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Would I be an rear end in a top hat if I bought a class 3 bike and used it on the MUP? The Benno is only in stock in the speed version at bike shop (2023 wait time for Class 1, or I can get a step-through now). I'm in Santa Clara county where class 3 is prohibited on the path but I don't see how anyone would know unless I'm exceeding speed limits or cause an accident.

I firmly believe that one can be an rear end in a top hat, or not, on any kind of bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Power over time is the important number.

Are you talking about a minute, an hour, ten hours?

Olympic level male cyclists can produce over 1000w for a minute, well over 400w for an hour, and I'm confident could manage well over 250w for ten hours.

None of that is particularly useful information for how a particular ebike is going to perform, because as you've rightly observed, the requirements are quite a bit different.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

evil_bunnY posted:

Given their financial situation I wouldn't get a Rad at any price.

Especially given how many proprietary parts they have.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Just go to G&O or Montlake and buy what they sell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

T Zero posted:

This weekend I'm going to check out a used first-gen FLX Babymaker (cringe) pro for $500: https://flx.bike/products/babymaker-standard-and-pro-eu

Anything caveats I should be aware of? Never owned an e-bike, but commute on a gravel bike on a route with some hills.

Pretty sure that bike was not just panned but dangerously assembled for at least one review model. Like, used the wrong kind of cables for the brakes which could fail catastrophically.