Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Any thoughts on the bafang conversion kits? Thinking of putting one on my commuter bike for round town stuff.

Protaper and diety make 3" riser bars, not sure of any bigger than that and both make good poo poo.

Rear probably needs more/new sealant, they'll go flat if they sit too long and it looks but that's like a couple weeks and sounds like you just rode it.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
So the main difference between cheap kit and nice bike is power sensing and smoothness of the boost? Are there any better conversion kits or drivetrains available ala carte? Haven't really loved the geo or design of most of the current ebikes, I'd like to put something on the crit frame I've been riding for loving ages and know really well, it's been my city bike for a decade.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If you want the most powerful most range get an e-moto not an 92lb eeb. A double crown bike that looks like a old V10 is gonna suck rear end to pedal even before it's 92lbs, and tbh it's probably gonna suck even with a throttle. It's not really a mtb in any sense of the word, it might do a lovely job of slowly cruising gravel roads but uhhhhhh there's a lot of better things to spend that money on. You could get a nice eeb and a nice moto, or two eebs, or two motos.

Also that thing is dumb as hell regardless of function.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

School of How posted:

No, where I live, all the cool places to visit are only accessible via dirt/gravel road which get massively "washboarded": https://blog.midwestind.com/how-gravel-roads-get-washboarding/

I tried going along one of these washboarded dirt roads and it just really really sucks. It might also suck with a mountain bike with front and back suspension, but it should suck much less. Also, more speed also helps with the washboarding, too

IMO washboard type roads always suck on a bicycle no matter the suspension travel, they aren't really sprung right nor have the right sprung/unsprung mass ratios to handle high frequency chatter like that without a lot of feedback to the rider.

School of How posted:

I've looked into the Sur Ron, but it seems to be made for thrashing and going fast, rather than long distance endurance. Also, I think it's too big to fit onto my bike rack. The Optibike will probably fit. Also, don't dirtbikes require a special kind of license to operate on roads? With an eMTB, I never have to worry about that kind of thing.

The Sur Ron is only like 10lbs heavier than the optibike and similar wheelbase, it'll probably fit in your bike rack. Technically the optibike with its throttle and power and max speed is a e-moto, not an eeb. By the letter of the law, you'd need a motorcycle endorsement to ride the optibike on any road, paved or gravel. Youre more likely to get away without having a license on the optibike than the Sur Ron due to pedals, but I think both are classified the same.

School of How posted:

Ugh, I hate bikes like this. It looks like they started development by asking a designer to make a drawling of cool looking bike, and then gave that drawing to some engineers and then they were told to make it a reality. I think that's a terrible way to design anything. The optibike seems like it was designed for performance first, and then design last, which is how it should be.

Thats actually how good products are developed, you start with a design brief which includes users and user experience etc, lay out the overall concept design and constraints, and then move to engineering and development against that concept. Engineer lead products loving suck for end users the vast majority of the time and you can certainly go too far on the design lead side, but something starting with design is usually a good thing. I say this as an engineer working in development of consumer goods and participated in both approaches.

The optibike looks like someone took a old santacruz v10 mold from the back of a truck in china and strapped some batteries to it, it looks terribly designed and engineered tbh. External dropper routing, weird battery positions, no cable integration whatsoever, really weird part specs, etc. You're spending 2x top of the line dirtbike and 1.5x silly spec normal eemtb on what looks like a china alibaba special even though its made in the USA. At the very least get a test ride on it before putting your money down. I'm also super suspect of the 300 miles/30k feet vert claims with absolutely nothing backing them up, wouldn't count on that kind of range.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
That is impressive, i half watched that video but with the support car I couldn't tell if he charged halfway through the ride or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I know your whole thing is being dumb as poo poo but lmao at 'why is a lovely version of something cheaper than a nice version of something else'