Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Last July my wife and I bought a camper trailer and we have been camping at state parks once a month. These are all lake state parks for fishing. A few of the parks have their camp grounds about a mile from the lake so we just take the truck with our stuff there and back after dehitching. We are eyeballing e-bikes for this task instead, plus maybe get some extra exercise there and at home.

My requirements would be to be to have at least a rear wheel rack for a beer cooler and mounting fishing pole holders. Front racks are welcome also for more storage. I have done a bunch of looking around online and as much review and comparison as I can find and am suffering from choice paralysis.

I can't afford a pair of >$2,000 bikes, but I'm also afraid that if I cheap out and go with an $800 Ancheer from Amazon, It will fall apart by looking at it wrong. They would maybe get used once every couple weeks at home around the neighborhoods and when we go on our 3 night camping/fishing trips each month. It's hard to spend a bunch of cash on something used that sporadically. The RadWagon and RadCity are pretty cool looking with good accessory options but they are pushing my budget, especially the wagon.

I welcome any comments or suggestions to help me make up my mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Hdip posted:

https://lectricebikes.com/

That's what all the surfer guys use to get down to the beach and back. They haven't failed them in the first year yet. Lots of reviews on youtube for them.

Thanks for that! I'll look in to these, they look a lot easier to haul around also than a standard size bike.

To answer Voodoofly, we don't currently have any bikes at all. We have only had cheap rear end ones over the years that were worthless. We never really got into bike riding since we have horses and ride those hah!

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I decided to order a RadRunner 1 to use at the state parks to get from my campsite to the lakes to fish. I'm going to build my own rear basket since their large basket has no ETA to ever be back in stock according to their forums. I'll install fishing pole holders on the sides and make sure it fits my cooler on the back. I ordered a front basket from them that will hold my fishing tackle bag. Pretty excited!

However... My wife and I almost always go camping together so I'm thinking of getting a less expensive electric scooter for the other person not riding the bike. I don't see a thread for e-scooters unless I'm not going far enough back. I have to start my research over in scooters now!

Having two RadRunners or just two e-bikes in general would be great, but I am trying not to fill the bed of my truck up with bikes taking up room for other gear. The scooter can get tossed inside the camper trailer, but the bike I'll probably want to make a mount inside of the bed of the truck to secure it better.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Good point, but our lake camping trips are always at state parks around Arizona so almost always well paved roads so I thought a much less expensive scooter would work okay.

I'll wait to do anything until the RadRunner gets here and we mess with it for a few weeks. It may wow us and we just decide to get another one of those or perhaps their folding model.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I received my RadRunner upgraded LCD controller and front basket. I'm itching for the bike to ship!

A couple of days after I ordered mine online, I saw one come up on Craigslist for $1,000 but it was a 2019 model so I didn't want to take the risk of a worn out battery ($549).

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Here is my new Radrunner getting ready for its first lake trip! The front basket holds my giant rear end tackle bag fine. The rear basket is never in stock and who knows when it will be so I made a wooden crate from Home Depot work for now. I mounted fishing pole holders on either side for up to 6 poles. The rear crate is big enough for my beer cooler and another small bag. The stock Radrunner seat sucked rear end so I got a cheap suspension seatpost and a Cloud 9 seat. Much better!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Invalido posted:

I have a bunch of these: https://www.amazon.com/Acogedor-Monitoring-Over-Voltage-Under-Voltage-Protection/dp/B07R8ZV65J/
They're easy enough to install on an existing normal charger to limit the charge to a pre-set voltage. It's such an important function for the life of the pack that it should be mandatory that all LiPo chargers should have the necessary circuitry built in, preferably with a simpler U.I. than those relays I use.

Interesting device. Looking at it, it will open the charging circuit if the voltage either gets to a maximum voltage to prevent overcharge OR a minimum voltage to prevent deep draining?

I have a finicky solar charger that will for some reason randomly discharge a deep cycle battery over night. I'd like to prevent that from happening...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I'm super loving my Radrunner converted for fishing/camping trips at state parks. I got so many compliments on it last weekend. It holds my tackle bag and up to 6 fishing poles on the back and my beer cooler bag in the front rack.

I installed a bike rack that goes above the trailer's tongue jack and holds the bike above the propane tanks. It's rated for 100lbs so I can only hang one bike on there and since the Radrunner is pretty big anyway, I wouldn't trust two of them on that rack. Having said that, I don't have room to travel with two e-bikes to have one for my wife and one for myself. We bought a larger wheel Razor scooter for the other person to use to help get to the lakes from the camping sites. It works fine but now I want to look to replace it with a folding e-scooter to help with the uphills. Is there a thread around here for e-scooters? I'm just looking at Amazon for now to see what's popular.

Only registered members can see post attachments!