Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
I recently crossed the “200 miles ridden” milestone of my R&M Load and it’s been a godsend for giving me and the little dude something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
Specialized has a pretty broad selection under their Turbo label, including several mixte frames. It’s at the the upper end of your range, but they’re solid bikes, and mid drives too.

Hadlock posted:

But not seeing any mixte style bikes for my wife, maybe she can just get used to a top tube, but she has a history of crashing her bike on flat ground so I want something she can dismount without twisting her ankle

Edit 2: I think I want a mid-drive unit, if it fits in our budget?

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

El Mero Mero posted:

I'm in the market for an ebike with kid carriers. I keep going back and forth between the wheelbarrow/front bucket style and this back-rack style. Is there a clear advantage for one over the other for kid+ stuff hauling?

Main downsides of the wheelbarrow style are price, and being more cumbersome to store/lock up. For certain parking rack designs, only the end positions work. Can be tricky to transport with an automobile due to length although some longtails share this difficulty.

It’s easier to keep an eye on/talk to your kid with them ahead of you, the low center of gravity for the cargo box is better for stability (less tippy), and I really appreciate the ease of fitting a weather/wind protection tarp for the cargo area due to living in an area where those are common. The Tern Storm Shield is a similar weather protection product for the mid/longtail style, but I’d hate to be riding in a strong crosswind with one of those mounted.