Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
E-bike thread!! Came in here to post that if we hadn't put a Bafang conversion kit on our Orbea Katu I would find it extremely hard to go out and about with a toddler.

We completely forgot to charge it after the last outing though, so I found myself on Saturday morning trying to make it up a 6% grade long hill on the last flickers of the battery. Thankfully it lasted but it was a close one.

I made my husband swap bikes with me on return leg because I had absolutely no hope without the electric assist. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Safety Dance posted:

Share a photo of your bike!

OK! Here's an old pic from new bike day in the bike commuting thread:

My husband hadn't installed the e-conversion kit yet, but just imagine a large battery bolted to where the water bottle usually goes.

Safety Dance posted:

I did the same thing a few weeks ago -- went out with less than half charge and got my range display confused with the tripodometer. Finally figured it out after 13 miles, 7 miles from home, and my range said 6 miles. I wound up muscling the bike crosstown with the motor off, and using eco mode to get me up some of the worse hills on the ride back only.

That sounds horrific!!! One of my fears about taking an e-bike out is getting stuck somewhere without power and no bike friendly public transport options to short cut the trip home.

To be fair, it's ok without the electric assist so long as the terrain is pretty flat. But I find extended climbs even if the grade is pretty minor is just kinda hell because I am not fit enough to power a heavy bike plus load on my own. Changing back to my own bike felt like a breeze!!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Safety Dance posted:

I wound up muscling the bike crosstown with the motor off, and using eco mode to get me up some of the worse hills on the ride back only.

Safety Dance posted:

It wasn't awful, just a lot of work. In the worst case I could have locked up the bike, removed the battery, taken a taxi home, charged it, and then gone to retrieve the bike.

Safety Dance posted:

I'm in Kips Bay

I used to live in NYC (Upper West Side) so I still think the trip back crosstown sounds horrific, what with dodging pedestrians, piles of trash, aggressive bike delivery riders and cab drivers (for those reasons I was way too scared to go cycling when I lived there).

Where did you get stuck, when your battery went flat? I assume you were somewhere past Harlem? Liberty State Park?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Any thoughts on the bafang conversion kits? Thinking of putting one on my commuter bike for round town stuff.

Late to this, but my husband put a Bafang conversion kit on our Orbea Katu and it's working well for us. There's no way I'd be able to get anywhere with a toddler on the back and picnic gear in front without it:

Also taking this rug back home with my toddler on the back during rush hour at what ought to have been a 5 min ride from one end of our suburb to the other was probably the most terrifying 40 mins of my cycling life and I do not think I would have been able to attempt it without an ebike:

In my head the rug was not that wide rolled up and since the child seat is on the back there was nowhere else to carry it. At least this gave me plenty of excuses to take the lane and not let cars bully/crowd me to one side. :v: