Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

showbiz_liz posted:

All of the ones on the railing are herbs, and I'm gonna harvest rather than overwinter those. But actually last year I had maybe 20 plants total, the year before that I had 5. This year I have what you see on the balcony there plus this:

So yeah I am gonna try to overwinter some of the larger herbs and maybe hot peppers from the roof, but I don't know how many I can keep alive inside! Only so many windows.

Get some grow lights. I've got a couple of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Dimm...5091723&sr=8-83

Like, they're not good. They cost $12. They're actually pretty poo poo. You're not going to see crazy growth like it's summer all year long.

But they'll keep plants alive away from a window for a winter and will let sprouts do their thing if you want to start some seeds in december or something so you've got more than a seedling come the spring.

And they're cheap and you can plug them in all over the place because of that little clamp thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

So we have a balcony that we are currently getting redone. The old rail was poo poo, and water just ran over the side and was rotting the fascia away. So we are doing a poly-carbonate roof and half wall around the whole thing. This is in Seattle, so I wanted something to handle the rain. We aren't sure what kind of seating we will put up there. The deck is 13' x 10' so we have quite a bit of space.

Bonus picture of my little antenna for talking to satellites.

Oh, and just below that balcony is another 10' x 10' deck getting the same treatment. We also have a large covered front porch too.

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!
I moved back into my childhood home years ago and it has an amazing front porch. It's screened-in and big enough to have a table and chairs and a couch. I can either sit in the chairs and watch the neighborhood or lay on the couch and read and no one can see that I'm there. When I was a kid my dad trained ivy to cover the front of the house and it was pretty magical out there with a curtain of green. The ivy's gone now, but it's still the best place to hang out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont have a porch i have a balcony and i get up and sit out there with weed and coffee every morning. listen to birds for a bit and then catch up on music. since covid ive spent most of every day out there

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Our front porch is okay, but we don't have any chairs there at the moment. The deck has some space, but lately the table and chairs my wife has had for years have been set up at the walk out basement and it's the perfect intersection of convenient and picturesque. Also I didn't bother to find a Glencairn, that's a Sierra Nevada Beer Camp tasting glass with Scotch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ayin posted:

Ooh, I dig your couch thing. How much was it? Do you have issues with bugs/spiders colonizing the cushions?

I've got a nice big deck too (and my computer/etc room opens onto it :3:), I've been hanging out there reading when it's not too hot (or wet)
I also have a small (side) porch but I haven't used it much yet :(

Looks like a good place to plant your stoloniferous plants that you don't want escaping!

I think it was like $800 from Walmart?
Yup, just found it:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-Gardens-Brookbury-5-Piece-Patio-Wicker-Sectional-Set/179352099

No bugs or spiders so far. All the spiders live in the garage :argh:
The only downside is that it only came with a cover for half the sectional and the table, not the other half of the sectional which is dumb.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for bird feeders? They need to be as squirrel proof as possible.

Personally I like Niger seed, it attracts gold finches and they have delightful songs. They hang in socks ( very cheap) or long feeders. As far as I have observed, squirrels don't like the the seed

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Peeches posted:

Personally I like Niger seed, it attracts gold finches and they have delightful songs. They hang in socks ( very cheap) or long feeders. As far as I have observed, squirrels don't like the the seed

I’ve got a thistle sock feeder hanging off my fence and this weekend I finally saw a goldfinch feeding instead of house sparrows. Earlier in the spring I’d occasionally see them hanging off dandelions eating the heads but they had no interest in my feeder.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

We're slowly working on surrounding our bare slab of a porch with raised beds and plant walls, and it's slowly turning into a nice place to be. Very envious of the many great porches itt

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Back deck crew checking in.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is the precursor thread to the Geriatrigoons subforum that's coming within 10 years.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ReindeerF posted:

This is the precursor thread to the Geriatrigoons subforum that's coming within 10 years.

I'm 28 and I like sitting on my porch because it's a (usually) comfy place to read and I can watch my dog explore the yard. You don't have to be old to appreciate comfort and a good view.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm 28 and I like sitting on my porch because it's a (usually) comfy place to read and I can watch my dog explore the yard. You don't have to be old to appreciate comfort and a good view.

But it helps!!

Actually my parents recently moved from a house with a yard to a condo, and basically their ONLY requirement for the condo was that it have a little porch or balcony. They found a place with a recessed porch that looks out onto a greenway and even before lockdown they hung out there almost every day :3:

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I like watching birds from my porch. I saw a titmouse hang upsidedown from a railing to look for spiders, it ruled.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

animals i have seen while sitting on my porch:
-squirrel
-rabbit
-chipmunk
-cardinal

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Have an apartment sans porch or balcony. I do use my truck's tailgate as my alley-porch and I can see the mountains through a gap in the townhouses across said alley. Also I grill on it

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Current rainy view from my back porch.

Also, we put our old tv out there when we upgraded and now it's pretty great to watch movies out there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Back porch companions

Marxist Voodoo
Mar 17, 2012

Six billion ants
Crawling on a plate
Urban balcony crew checking in, sitting out here chain smoking and drinking beer is the only reason lockdown hasn't killed me

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Not a porch but a cement slab, I'm out here most mornings and evenings with my cat.

Peeches fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 20, 2020

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

drinking sake on the balc

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

I love sitting out on my porch and reading, although right now there's a wasp nest out there so I've been avoiding it. My best friend decorated the whole thing for me and found chairs and a table, a rug, some art, and my favorite piece, a tall partition attached to the fence that is especially great for making it less awkward to sit and chill 4 feet from the parking lot. I enjoy it so much (when I'm not under attack by wasps).

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

are back porch sitters allowed to post here

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

are back porch sitters allowed to post here

As long as it's a porch or porch-adjacent!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Behold! My favorite picture of the view from my porch in the morning, with bonus ducks

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Numbuh 212 posted:

I love sitting out on my porch and reading, although right now there's a wasp nest out there so I've been avoiding it. My best friend decorated the whole thing for me and found chairs and a table, a rug, some art, and my favorite piece, a tall partition attached to the fence that is especially great for making it less awkward to sit and chill 4 feet from the parking lot. I enjoy it so much (when I'm not under attack by wasps).

Nice of your friend to decorate the wasps' new porch

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
That’s a good hammock.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My wife and I moved into our current rental house three years ago and I love it for several reasons but the back porch and yard mostly. The house is less than desirable but it's a single family house in Seattle with a huge yard so I can't complain. I've been working on my laptop from the deck almost every day. He'll lay on his dog bed in the sun, eat his own rear end in the yard, chase and point squirrels and birds, and try to eat butterflies.

It's been a godsend during covid especially with a dog. The yard is a double lot so his dog buddies come over all the time and go nuts. We recently picked up a patio set for free on our local buy nothing group which has significantly added to the usefulness of our patio.

Stanley is the solid brown goober vizsla.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think it was like $800 from Walmart?
Yup, just found it:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-Gardens-Brookbury-5-Piece-Patio-Wicker-Sectional-Set/179352099

No bugs or spiders so far. All the spiders live in the garage :argh:
The only downside is that it only came with a cover for half the sectional and the table, not the other half of the sectional which is dumb.
Thanks! :)

I should walk around my neighborhood and get some pics, there are some nifty porches and balconies around here because it's all built on a steep hill.

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

Enfys posted:

Nice of your friend to decorate the wasps' new porch

Yeah, I really miss it . . .

I need to spray them, but I'm a big wuss and I'm too scared (although I am also allergic, so I feel somewhat justified in my cowardice).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've had pretty good luck with Ortho home defense spray. Douse the area literally and walk away. I had a nest in the eaves of my house and sprayed it with a garden sprayer on a cool night. Let it sit. They'll likely all be dead the next day. You can also get more wasp focused things but that worked well for me.

Marxist Voodoo
Mar 17, 2012

Six billion ants
Crawling on a plate

Pantomime Horse posted:

That’s a good hammock.

Absolutely. Been reading Three Body problem and I'm looking forward to finishing it out there when it's not so loving hot

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I’ve lived in North Carolina the last few years. My porch collects insects in a big way, and I think bugs are neat so I mostly let them do their own thing. Mostly.

Notable exceptions: wasps known by reputation to be assholes, and cockroaches of any size. These we hunt for sport with a spring-powered plastic shotgun* loaded with table salt.

* https://www.bugasalt.com/ the web site’s a trip. Lawn & Garden is the confirmed roach-killer.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I bought my dad one of those a few years back and he loves it, they work pretty well and are fun. Great porch tool

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

Pantomime Horse posted:

I’ve lived in North Carolina the last few years. My porch collects insects in a big way, and I think bugs are neat so I mostly let them do their own thing. Mostly.

Notable exceptions: wasps known by reputation to be assholes, and cockroaches of any size. These we hunt for sport with a spring-powered plastic shotgun* loaded with table salt.

* https://www.bugasalt.com/ the web site’s a trip. Lawn & Garden is the confirmed roach-killer.

I really wanted to be chill and ~coexist~ with them, but then after a few days one of them landed on my shoulder and I bailed immediately. Gonna try spraying tonight after dinner and see if I can reclaim my territory.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I have a small back deck which is like a porch abd I like to BBQ and each on it sometimes but mostly smoke weed and look at the stars for a bit.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

We just finished expanding our floating deck, so now I spend my mornings drinking coffee on the patio and looking at it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's a rainy morning and the view from the porch is really nice and green:

Dad's eventual to-do list:

- remove the cover on the pool, turn it into a fancy pond
- replace the steps
- clean up both porches so they're nicer

either way it's super super chill to sit on the porch and watch my dog frolic and read

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

Man that view is beautiful! I love a rainy morning so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for bird feeders? They need to be as squirrel proof as possible.

SquirrelBusters!

https://bromebirdcare.com/busterproducts/

These things have worked great in our yard. The squirrels completely gave up and just sniff around below for what the birbs drop these days