Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Chaosfeather posted:

I do wish to buy more elk points...

We should consider a pronghorn hunt. There were tons of them. I wanted to go scout Thunder Basin but in the finest of goon hunting traditions I used my truck to take a mulie. With only one working headlight just going straight home seemed like the safest option. Doubly so since a snow storm was brewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

I have a Butt load of pronghorn points. Thatís probably going to be my first out west trip.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I have a pronghorn point or two for WY as well. I'd be happy to take a doe or a buck, so hell yeah let's do it.

Edit: Somehow I completely missed that you hit a deer with the truck. RIP, hope you can limp home okay. Wrong time of year for antlers, did you get to keep a charm to ward off the others?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 4, 2021

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

We should consider a pronghorn hunt. There were tons of them. I wanted to go scout Thunder Basin but in the finest of goon hunting traditions I used my truck to take a mulie. With only one working headlight just going straight home seemed like the safest option. Doubly so since a snow storm was brewing.

riparooni

Pronghorn are tons of fun and Flatland and I can provide lots of knowledge and experience on the subject.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Iím in the midst of picking units for a WY muley/antelope hunt, I donít know how anybody makes sense of this stuff without something like gohunt.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

For black bear it was much simpler because the state has around 30 units for bear. The mulie/pronghorn units on the other hands are absolutely insane. Were there over 100? It seemed like it. Every time I accidentally loaded that overlay in OnX just looking at it made my eyes cross.

This is one of the many reasons bear hunting caught my interest.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

HamAdams posted:

Iím in the midst of picking units for a WY muley/antelope hunt, I donít know how anybody makes sense of this stuff without something like gohunt.

Learn to love Excel and researching draw odds.

Are you a resident or non-resident and do you have any preference points?

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

charliebravo77 posted:

Learn to love Excel and researching draw odds.

Are you a resident or non-resident and do you have any preference points?

Non-resident, 1 point for deer, none for antelope. I'm thinking we'll end up around the Bighorn National Forest area based on what I've seen on gohunt.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I saw a spike mule buck growing his antlers the other day on my way to work. A coworker saw it too and insists that he saw a whitetail because "mule deer are huge-rear end deer". Mule deer is the only species in this region, also the buck had satellite dishes for ears and the correct pattern. He then tried to convince me that blacktail deer are around here (which they are not, this is Southern California). We have coastal sage scrub, not coastal forests.

Sorry bro, really arid climates and hot hot summer temps mean your local deer are a bit smaller. It's not their fault, there just isn't as much food as up north. The buck was super cute though.

Edit: In WY chat, I think I'm going to put points in for antelope and elk in WY one more year before applying for antelope. Unless we want to try to do a goon antelope hunt this year? But if that's the case lemme know ASAP so I can start planning.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 10, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Gooncamp with guns sounds like a fantastic idea.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Outrail posted:

Gooncamp with guns sounds like a fantastic idea.

Once the plague is done with and international travel is allowed again, we're doing goon hunting trip to New Zealand for Himalayan Tahr.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Once the plague is done with and international travel is allowed again, we're doing goon hunting trip to New Zealand for Himalayan Tahr.

That honestly sounds really cool.

On black bear. I can get a tag and my area is crawling with them so conservation wise I'm okay shooting one. Has anyone here taken them? The internet seems to think they're pretty hard to spot and stalk, are they hard to hunt if you don't want to use bait?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Anyone have experience with Kowa optics? I've been looking for some inexpensive 6x30 binos for woods use. Kowa makes a porro prism set that is at a good price and seems popular with birders. Supposedly they are an older version of some Leupold glass and come with a lifetime warranty. Considering the $100 price tag that seems to good to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Anyone have experience with Kowa optics? I've been looking for some inexpensive 6x30 binos for woods use. Kowa makes a porro prism set that is at a good price and seems popular with birders. Supposedly they are an older version of some Leupold glass and come with a lifetime warranty. Considering the $100 price tag that seems to good to be true.

Not personally, but Kowa spotters are pretty well regarded. If you're looking for inexpensive small low mag binos the Maven C.2 7x28s might be of interest too. Maven glass is very, very good for the money from what I have seen and heard. My RF.1 rangefinder is very good optically.

https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/binoculars/products/c-2-7x28-10x28