Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I shot a squirrel today at the nearest state hunting area. Pretty Fox Squirrel, if I'm not mistaken. She was the first non-fish game I've taken since I was a kid.

Her tail is in the freezer until I decide how to handle it; I hope to use it for tying flies. I hope to do a better job at saving more of the fur, next time.

She's stewing right now, and smells delightful.

I've gotta plan out how to cook the next ones, and plan how to preserve the furs. This one took a 12ga #6 and a 20 foot fall, then another shell to kill. I was also not great at cleaning so that also worked against me. I also will wait to clean the squirrel until I get home next time unless it's gut shot. I spent as much time picking dirt and leave bits off it as I did skinning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Tias posted:

I would love to try squirrel ragout one day, that looks amazing

I kind of almost followed this recipe https://hispanickitchen.com/2012/02/24/modelo-beef-stew/, and it turned out great. I should have used a touch more stock, and I should have shredded the meat then added it back in. Many lessons learned yesterday, every step of the process. Another kind goon linked me this Jamaican jerk recipe, which may be my next undertaking.
https://www.realtree.com/timber-2-table-wild-game-recipes/jamaican-jerk-squirrel-recipe

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Thank you! I'm dying to get back out there but want to be better prepared for skinning and making that jerk season recipe. I also need to check my shotgun patterns with #6 shot, and confirm zero on my .22's.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm really curious about entry level small game trapping, and would love to hear some trapper info.

I told my buddy yesterday about my plan to get a squirrel or two this week and make jamaican jerk squirrel. He wants in on it, so I'm gonna go for four squirrel between now and thursday. What is the best practice for stockpiling a few over a couple of days? I figured I would skin ,clean, butcher, then just freeze in a freezer bag. Maybe set them out early the morning we are gonna eat?

Edit: I suppose just going that morning and hoping i get enough for two is an idea, but eh, i'd prefer to up my chances.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 28, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Thanks to Meateater, my wife is as amped for me killing stuff as I am. Rules.

If you can get your hands on a .22 or a shotgun consider hunting some squirrels, it's like a woodsmanship training montage, and they taste good too.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Nice! That's gonna be some good eating. I'm really curious to try duck hunting eventually, but it seems like I'll need a lot of decoys and other kit to have a good whack at it. I'm assuming bare minimum: a blind, a call, and decoys? Finding a spot would be the big challenge, I'm guessing.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Awesome! Please post the meals those become!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

tesilential posted:

Awesome thread!

My girls family are all major deer hunters, they hunt their locals woods (withalacoochee) and also have a lease and camp in Georgia.

I’m dying to get out there and join the fun. I’m a fisherman and know my way around a knife but pretty inexperienced with guns.

Anyways I’d love to read about more hunts (even old stories) or more advice about getting started.

Go after small game, it helps you get sneaking and spotting practice that you won't regret having when you go after deer or whatever with the fam. Do you currently own any firearms?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Man, i might have to consider involving my bike on my state park hunts next year.

That dinner looks fantastic!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

tesilential posted:

Good advice but I don’t know how they’d like me shooting at squirrels when they’re trying to get deer. I doubt I’ll get an opportunity to hunt prior to getting out with them. I just have a carry pistol for my gf.

Her dad and brother in laws have plenty of rifles and shot guns, but I’m a gear nerd and would love to get suggestions if you’re so inclined. I’ll make a log of it but likely won’t buy my own until I’ve given it a run with them. In Georgia they exclusively hunt stands. In Florida they walk the woods (with much less success), sometimes with dogs.

Oh yeah don't be blasting little critters on a deer hunt!
Even if you can't go hunting prior, just go out to the woods and practice walking quietly and slowly and keep your eyes and ears open. Shoot them with a camera instead or just observe, but every bit of woodcraft practiced will pay off when it counts. Start making a habit of minding wind direction and its changes. Start learning to spot animal feces and tracks.

As for a first gun, its hard to beat a pump action 12 gauge that will let you swap barrels and chokes. That will work for hunting drat near anything that isn't out on the open plains. Remington 870, mossberg 500, etc.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 4, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Try to move smoothly and avoid jerky movements that catch the eye easier. None of us are dead silent, but spacing out the noise so that it isn't a clear pattern of footsteps seems to be helpful. Luck and the temperament of individual animals will of course always be factors.

If you want a huge comprehensive infodump, Steven Rinella's Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game are real nice. I bought the small game volume to start off, but my library has them also, if you want to put that money towards a gun or some kit instead.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I want to get a Spring gobbler. I have a slate call and have been practicing with it and feel pretty good about basic calling with it. I have a diaphragm call that I can kind of use. My uncle is going to loan me a decoy. I plan on picking up a full choke and was looking at the HEVI-shot one and there are options for different constrictions. For example, midwayusa has in stock the .664", .667", and .676" constriction models; Are the effects of these highly variable or is it a negligible difference?

I figure if I get a choke and manage to find some turkey shells, the last hurdle is getting onto some gobbler turf and not dicking it up if I find one. Would love to be as prepared as possible and welcome any and all advice. I'm studying the turkey section in the meateater guidebook and watching youtube videos from callers; any other resources I should consider? I plan to start scouting next week.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

HamAdams posted:

There's a ton of good youtube channels for turkey hunting that are starting to ramp up again as spring turkey approaches. The hunting public is the big one, catman outdoors, shane simpson, and the pinhoti project are all good ones too.

I don't have much advice for chokes, but just be sure to pattern your gun before going out. You might find that your combination of choke and shell don't work well together.

I'll check those, thanks. Definitely plan on buying extra shells for patterning, assuming I can find some. I was considering grabbing these calls: Calling all turkeys.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Squirrel season is nigh. Rejoice!

With the baby I wasn't able to chase turkey or scout for my first whitetail, but I will definitely find a few hours to go stalk my favorite little tree ninjas.

Its tempting to carry something that could field a shell for both squirrel and deer. That way I could grab a deer tag and if luck shines on me, I can load a sabot or whatever. My 870 only has the smooth barrel. I have a single shot 20ga and a bow that are potentially useful in the same way, but frankly have not been able to practice archery enough this year to honestly employ the bow. Gun season is short here anyway, and pretty limited. Deer may need to wait until next year, unless I can start finding time to hit the archery range nearly daily.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
50 yards is more than enough, hell yeah. I'm very rarely in terrain that isn't pretty dense.

I was really into the idea of my first deer season being a long drawn out bow affair, but this year I might have to just join the hordes of gun hunters who have like a 2 week season. I'm pretty sure opening day will be like a Vietnam jungle patrol, then after that they'll all know to gently caress off to private or non huntable land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

alnilam posted:

Double check your regulations, I know in some states they suspend all other game hunting during the short rifle deer season. Otherwise it sounds like a plan.

They didn't restrict it last year, but I will be sure and double check.