Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks to both for the replies, I'll be in Southern Ontario. Norfolk county. Temperatures are still decent (i'm that jerk off that still wears shorts till November) but by the time I actually go it might be a bit colder. I'm pretty sure there won't be dogs involved. I don't know how much hunting pressure the land gets, its not *that* far from large cities so it might be fairly pressured. I've read there aren't too many places left in Ontario with wild pheasant around these days. Mostly its game farms etc.. I'll try to pick up some shells with #6 in them.

Hopefully I'll get one or two and I can join the ranks rather than living vicariously through the rest of you.

You guys are super lucky. It's like -15 out in Alberta this week. Cold, windy, snowy as hell.

I didn't even bother getting my birds license this year, been too drat busy, kinda glad I didn't because the weather turned poor after the first half of October. Next year, I hope.

This year I'm gunning for mule doe/buck, a whitetail on general, and my buddy pulled his cow moose tag so we are in line for a ton of meat if we can close the deal successfully. Glad we both pulled the right tags, didn't have to waste time trying to use archery on deer in the prairies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I was pretty excited for this hunting season. Buddy pulled a moose tag, we both got mule buck tags for a WMU just by my house, got our usual mule doe tags for the same WMU as the moose, and a general whitetag tag each.

So we had plenty of ~potential~ animals to harvest, all in rifle season.

I start out concentrating on the local hunt, since that's pretty easy for me. Drive to neighbour's farm, find deer, take deer home.

On my second day hunting, I got this big bastard. Pretty sure he was one of the ones tormenting me and my hunting buddy last year.

His horns aren't all that impressive, though they are big, but I don't give a gently caress, I just want to eat him.

These are the prime cuts making the shelves bend in the garage fridge (we age the prime cuts for a couple weeks before freezing them).

And I got 5-6 gallons of stuff to grind up.

I pulled a square meter of caul fat out of his gut cavity, his fat was 2-3cm thick all over the normal fat collecting spots, it was amazing.

He was an absolute unit of a deer. Unfortunately, I got the chronic wasting disease test back, and he was positive, so all that meat is just a waste. I'll have to burn it :smith: Last thing I want to do is give 2020 a chance to also bring on the Prion Apocalypse in addition to all the other poo poo it's done.

I saved and tanned the hide, I just got an industrial sewing machine so I'm hoping to make something out of that at some point, so at least I'll get some benefit out of his life, poor thing.

My buddy got this one, likely a brother or relative, from the same herd a couple days after mine. Not as big, but a little older and more mature. No test results on that one yet, but chances are not good given that we shot him about half a kilometer away from where I shot mine.

Up north, we tried to do some moose hunting, didn't get any good chances on a cow. Saw lots of bulls though, like this guy.

This little magpie was harassing the poo poo out of him, pecking at his ears.

I think I watched them for 15 minutes. The magpie eventually goaded him into standing back up, and he LUNGED at the bird on a tree branch a couple of times.

They held a starring contest, which I guess the moose lost because he was the one that slinked off into the bush. Magpie, victorious. Moose, shameful.

On our trip we saw 9+ moose, of which maybe 3 were cows, and none we could make an effective play on. But at least we're better at spotting them now.

We managed to harvest two little mule fawns, I think they were siblings (sorry mom :smith: ) because the second one was sticking close to her brother as we were looking for his corpse in the bush. Close enough to make it an easier decision. Plus we were spending most of our time on looking for a moose so the mules were plentiful, but the opportunities were not. We took those two and had them gutted and skinned within 90 minutes of spotting them.

If my buddy's buck turns out to also be infected with CWD, we are going to be hurting for venison this year. Which is a drat shame given the potential the year had.

Kind of a good analogy for 2020 itself, really.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Chaosfeather posted:

Dammit, that's a couple of bucks I would have been pretty happy to shove in a freezer. How long is the turnaround period for the CWD tests? Although I've been told the prions only affect the nerves and similar tissues (like brains) I think you're making a good call on not eating that meat. Prions scare the piss outta me. Unfortunately I think it's a great demonstration of the fact that you cannot tell if a deer is infected simply by looking at it. A big hefty guy like that would take a while to waste away, and you wouldn't know it until the final stages of the disease. Even if the meat is wasted at least you are taking it out of the population. Small, but still helpful in the long run (I hope).

Do you have a recommended way for curing the hide? It's the part of the process I'm still getting used to and didn't know if you had a favored solution for it.

I love that the Magpie was harassing that moose. Great pics!

At least you took both of the siblings. They are reunited in death (and in your freezer).

I've only tanned one hide so far, and it still needs to be stretched and softened. I just used a "tanning kit in a box" that I got from Cabela's or bass pro ages ago. I'll let you know once I get it completely finished if it turned ok or not.

I'm thinking next time I'll just salt the gently caress out of it and then use egg yolks. Then smoke it to waterproof. The kit had me salt it anyway so maybe I'll just skip the noxious chemical bit.

We'll see, maybe I'll give up and just farm it out in the future, it takes a long time and makes a huge mess. I really want to make fur bags and clothes though :/

E: oh and the testing time is a week or so, plus however long the backlog is given the massive pile of heads they get later in November.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 3, 2020