Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
In NJ, where I live, it’s unlimited doe and you can take 2/day for the whole 6 month season. NJ is a pretty great place to bow hunt to fill your freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
If you are looking to purchase an ONX membership:

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/49

I’ve bought from this company before (never an issue) and this will save you 40% off of a 50 state 1yr subscription.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Suspect Bucket posted:

I want to get into hunting, been wanting to for years, but the cost of entry and the fact that I dont know anyone else who hunts is fairly prohibitive. I was hoping to do a guided hunt this fall (NJ area), but with Corona, I'm concerned. I enjoy butchery and working with meat, I'm also a fairly decent target shooter. It's just never really come together into an actual hunt, beyond shooting squirrels in a friend's yard. It's really just depressing.

Edit: was kinda in a really bummed out headspace when I wrote that, sorry.

PM me and I’ll be happy to share any info that may be helpful regarding NJ/PA

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

bloody ghost titty posted:

Does NJ allow shotgun hunting? I’m fixing to get my grandad’s 12 gauges sent up at the end of summer and do some eastern PA/central NJ if possible.

In certain areas, yes.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/hunting.htm

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Outrail posted:

drat, how are there any deer left? I'm in barely populated mountain country and they're shortening the doe season to 10 days, 2 deer max and one antlerless.

Huge deer population is a result of very few hunters mostly. Another thing is no rifle hunting which limits the number of hunters further by taking away the most popular method of take. The amount of hunting licenses has been steadily declining every single year as well.

Fun fact: we have the densest concentration of black bears in the lower 48. With the bear hunt now being limited to private land (thanks Gov. Murphy), those numbers, and human-bear interactions are just going to go up.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve had a bullet whiz over my head before because someone in our hunting party tried hunting hung over.

It’s best to pick your hunting partners wisely.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
There is one in TFR but I’ve never found it very informative unless you are shooting just target recurve.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
FWIW I spent a lot of time and (partially recovered money) loving around with different releases including the silverback, nock2it etc.

I didn’t really notice much improvement with anything until I sold all the releases and snagged a used wise guy off of eBay for 65$ once I started shooting with it I noticed more of an improvement in group size past 30y which I think can be attributed to how good the trigger on the wise guy is and how little pressure you need to make it take off vs a non-sear type caliper release which is what I used for a few years before that.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Train with what you plan on taking game/competing with.

To a point a slightly different outer diameter or weight won’t make a huge difference but for the sake of consistency it’s best to use the same setup for arrows.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
WRT scent control at least from my limited east coast hunting experience:

My strategy is always been to clean my base layers every few (3 or so) hunts if I have been hunting cold weather or more frequently if it’s been warmer. I only really wash my outer garments after killing an animal or if I notice a smell/get a lot of mud on the bibs/pants. I do, however, take a hot shower with no scent soap and dry completely before every outing if it’s possible. I also use no scent antiperspirant.

At the beginning and end of every season I also wash everything and store everything in plastic storage bins.

With a majority of my hunting being archery I get to see deer up close and I rarely see them raise their noses and stop in their tracks. Usually I’m impatient from sitting in the tree all day, I shift my weight around and they see me and that’s what gets their hackles up.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

wesleywillis posted:

What about the America bird? :911:

The turkey is pretty awesome.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Fwiw I’ve seen more bucks after/during a light rain than any other time except 15min before last light.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Yuns posted:

One thing that's an issue here in NJ deer season is that we have limited public lands and many people like stands, quite a few like to drive deer and a few of us like me prefer still hunting/stalking (the lowest percentage but most rewarding in my opinion). All those are pretty incompatible with each other when people are hunting the same area. We've had some luckily not too serious conflicts when people drive in areas or into areas where someone else has set up in a stand.

There are also local ordinances that don’t allow for ground hunting (such as the town I hunt). 6’ of elevation for your stand or more due to population/dwelling density.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Plans in place:
PA for turkey and trout in May
Archery whitetail in NJ

Hopes/dreams: first out west hunt for either antelope or mule deer.

I’ll be super happy if the first two work out but everything seems to be falling into place so far.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

If anyone is looking for a deal on men's hunting pants, Sierra has a smoking deal on FirstLite's Guide Light pants. $50 for these is pretty wild. Usually the selection of sizes at Sierra is pretty limited but this time around they have the pants in just about every common men's size. https://www.sierra.com/first-lite-guide-lite-camo-pants-for-men~p~33vhd/?filterString=promostyles~214154%2F

Yoink

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Thanks for reminding me to mark my calendar for pref point only day (starts July 1)

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have a Butt load of pronghorn points. That’s probably going to be my first out west trip.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
If it’s a used vortex anything and it’s messed up you can get it replaced for free.

I’ve used the warranty and when I dropped my old talon HD (which I got second hand) they replaced them with the viper HD and it only took two weeks or so. No questions asked.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
A doe will fit into a 2013 Hyundai Elantra trunk no problem.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Both statements are accurate

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have three tags for pa rifle starting Saturday. The goal is to fill at least one of them with my revolver. I have 5 days to do it so we’ll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Likewise. I’ll be in 2A same spot I’ve been hunting for 16 years or so.