Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Chaosfeather posted:

I don't know a taxidermist!
I'm still a bit new on this but believe it or not there's plenty of things you can do yourself! European mounts, aka just the skull are easy enough to cook/boil yourself if you have some good soap and money to use on trashing a crock pot. Last year I learned how to properly flesh out a skin, but you can also tan the hide yourself with some practice. Those flesh-eating bugs are for rent in some places, too.

Thanks for making this thread Charlie.

Chaos: Do you mind posting what method you used for tanning your deerskin? And a picture of the leather side if you did it all yourself? I've had an easy time learning squirrel pelts just by knife cleaning, salting, clearing salt 24 hours later, re-salting, then cleaning and using "the orange bottle". I left out the dawn soap and brief warm saltwater bath parts, but you probably know the method

My first deer was a real bitch however, made some mistakes that didn't scale well. The fat froze on the hide, really froze and then I was scraping it by the pound in 10 degree weather, the leather is just so much thicker that the whole process done with one person and a knife ended up being dozens of hours, and still not near as clean a finish as my small game. Beyond the obvious part of immediately cleaning and then salting the pelt, I'm looking for ideas on how to get a cleaner blanket this Fall.

Beautiful pelt by the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

alnilam posted:

Of deer, a biologist once told me you could kill bucks all day and you wouldn't impact population trajectory much at all, you'd just end up with one extremely happy buck.

This has been the exact result of every study NY state ever funded at Cornell and otherwise, and naturally they decided to put something like 20 million dollars in it and ultimately not use any of the data to guide the policies on deer hunting

Tax money directly pays for morons to chemically castrate bucks and be surprised again yearly when the (any remaining amount of potent bucks) impregnate every single loving doe in the state

In the end the purpose of government is to spend enough money that could feed thousands of people to learn something they should have already known, and then to still not give out enough loving doe tags while people are living in poverty and meat prices rise