Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cross-posting for boot advice:

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am starting to look at getting new boots for hunting, my 9 year old Vasque Men's Taku GTX boots need to be replaced for a variety of reasons (didn't take great care of them, sole worn down, need better waterproofness for PNW).

Thoughts on criteria:
- Hunting in the PNW climate, which mainly means I want something that can be rained on for 8 hours without letting the water get to my feet, probably means goretex stuff?
- High ankle support, my ankles are poo poo.
- I'll be about a size 11 and my feet are pretty normal shape with a somewhat flat arch so likely any normal boot shape will work.
- REI purchasable would be nice but not required.

What say you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Outrail posted:

What's your budget for boots? How cold are you looking to go?

Well it looks like boots are in the $100-350 range but if for some reason the perfect boot is more let me know. I doubt I'll be hunting colder than 32 with these boots and I size/pair my boots with injiji toe socks and smartwool outer socks. For reference my old boots with this setup I was pretty warm in them in the 30-40 temp range even with sitting waiting around for deer.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

Help me hunt squirrels. How do I find them? I am going into hardwood forests around 10AM, and slowly walking. Don’t see any squirrels at all. Should I get a squirrel call whistle? There are acorns all over the ground, where the hell are they

In TN I would get out at sunrise or a bit before and sit in a good looking spot for 10-20 minutes. See squirrels and shoot, or don't but hear them "oh I think 100 yards west" and I'd walk over that way and sit again for 20 min or more, now the squirrels come out because you're being quiet and you shoot them in the head with your scoped 22 (in my case).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

drat that is all awesome!