Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

YggiDee posted:

All songbirds have the same amount of bastard in them so the smaller they are the more concentrated it is. It's also why wrens are so loud.

absolute terrors of the garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

never forget they're dinosaurs
there's a tiny part of that thing's brain that still remembers being a terror of the jungle

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

YggiDee posted:

All songbirds have the same amount of bastard in them so the smaller they are the more concentrated it is. It's also why wrens are so loud.

A few days ago I watched two crows harass a pair of Bald Eagles out of a tree, and then out of the area entirely. Bird anger is inversely proportional to size.

Except cassowaries, they’re just movie velociraptors.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
My friend's dog got harassed by an eastern kingbird last week

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Haha that expression!!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The Cooper's hawks were out and about today! There is a nest at the park we've been watching all season and today they were over on another tree where they like to hang out eating. Potato pictures while trying to prevent the children from leaping from precipices and other "character building" things. We think it's 3 fledglings and 1 parent we saw today.

1 eating, parent watching

Fledgling supervising

2 bird loafs, it was hot out.

The whole family! Two of the fledglings were sharing something.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I went for a walk outside today and photographed a couple birbs. I am not a birbologist. Looking up "The 25 most common birds in Pennsylvania", I believe the first is an American Robin. The second doesn't exactly match any of the pictures I saw. Some kind of sparrow?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
House Sparrow (formerly called English Sparrow), it’s an introduced birb that’s actually in the weaver family and not closely related to our North American sparrows.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Finally got around to getting a proper hummingbird feeder and stuck birbcam on it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The great crested flycatchers have babies!

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

We've been adding new bird feeders to attempt to increase diversity in our yard. Previously we just had a nijer seed feeder for the gold finches. Now we seemingly have more and more elaborate ways of feeding gold finches.

I had a similar experience but with blackbirds and woodpigeons. I was chasing the woodpigeons off, there only seems to be one that's still persisting and at this point with the acrobatics its doing to get at the food I'm inclined to just let it have its way.

Picture tax: went to an owl sanctuary, owls are intense.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Owlkill posted:

I had a similar experience but with blackbirds and woodpigeons. I was chasing the woodpigeons off, there only seems to be one that's still persisting and at this point with the acrobatics its doing to get at the food I'm inclined to just let it have its way.

Picture tax: went to an owl sanctuary, owls are intense.

Username /post combo :black101:

We just find it funny. A scrub Jay has been coming by daily in the morning for a treat off "hoot" the seed ball owl, and we just added meal worms to see if that help. The house finches have found it, and we even saw a American Goldfinch! Seeing them side by side with the lesser's really makes it obvious how different they are, we had always wondered how easy it would be to tell them apart and now we know. They're like super fat lesser's and the yellow bands around their back where the lesser's start having black.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

This fella was hanging out on the lake shore behind a rock ledge trying to fish out of the wind. It was not going well for him.

dupersaurus posted:

Finally got around to getting a proper hummingbird feeder and stuck birbcam on it

Oh that's awesome. Watching various breeds fight for the feeder is fun. The Rufous sure are jerks.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Do rough-winged swallows form big colonies? I was out in a savannah/grassland area and there were at least 30 swallows hanging out on a few trees near a lake. I didn't notice any of them having the blue coloration that I've seen tree swallows having. We (my wife and I) ran into another bird watcher and he seemed to think they were tree swallows which makes me think maybe it was just a big group of juveniles or something.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:(: today we found two baby bird corpses in the yard. Pretty sure they're mockingbirds. Also ugh I had to clean them up because it was right where the kids play. :barf:

The other day a hooded oriole tossed a hatchling (eyes closed) from the nest literally right in front of my 9? year old niece. We saw the parent bring a bug back to the nest a few days later and pretty sure we heard chirping so hopefully there is another one in there. She was needless to say hysterical, they did the whole "bring it to the rescue" dog and pony show. I assume they walked it right through the building and out to the trash, but what do I know.

In happy news we're up to two American goldfinches at our feeders. :3:

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

The other day a hooded oriole tossed a hatchling (eyes closed) from the nest literally right in front of my 9? year old niece. We saw the parent bring a bug back to the nest a few days later and pretty sure we heard chirping so hopefully there is another one in there. She was needless to say hysterical, they did the whole "bring it to the rescue" dog and pony show. I assume they walked it right through the building and out to the trash, but what do I know.

Aw, that sucks :( But they did the right thing taking it to a rescue. Even if it had no chance of recovery, euthanasia is a better, painless death compared to exposure or being eaten by a cat. If it was already dead, the rescue can easily handle it, it wouldn't be the first dead animal brought in for sure.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Eeyo posted:

Do rough-winged swallows form big colonies? I was out in a savannah/grassland area and there were at least 30 swallows hanging out on a few trees near a lake. I didn't notice any of them having the blue coloration that I've seen tree swallows having. We (my wife and I) ran into another bird watcher and he seemed to think they were tree swallows which makes me think maybe it was just a big group of juveniles or something.

Juvenile seems like a reasonable guess - it's prime season for big gangs of them to just be loitering around

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I haven't been able to get a picture because they're very skittish but the blackbirds in my garden have almost given up on flying. They just run around on the ground with a proper two legged gait, not even hopping. Pretty chubby looking two, can't imagine it's many generations until they are fully flightless

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sitting out by a lake in my neighborhood, got to watch two green herons having a tussle for about half an hour

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I think nuthatches are my favorite feeder birds because they just don't give a gently caress

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Some lake birds hanging out

(white ibis and a muscovy duck)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ahhhh, trashbirds.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

El Burbo posted:

Sitting out by a lake in my neighborhood, got to watch two green herons having a tussle for about half an hour

That's clearly a muppet.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Was visiting my aunt who lives on the gulf coast and doing a sundown swim. A pelican dive bombed to a fish maybe only 10 feet from me. They give no fucks.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Do hummingbirds re-visit flowers throughout the day? I've got a big morning glory vine, a cypress vine, and some blue porterweed on my balcony and it seems like I get a hummingbird visit like 3 or more times during the day. I'm not sure if its one hummingbird and I'm in their territory or if I'm just getting a couple from the neighborhood stopping by.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

Do hummingbirds re-visit flowers throughout the day? I've got a big morning glory vine, a cypress vine, and some blue porterweed on my balcony and it seems like I get a hummingbird visit like 3 or more times during the day. I'm not sure if its one hummingbird and I'm in their territory or if I'm just getting a couple from the neighborhood stopping by.

You could have multiple hummers but they will revisit flowers too. I can’t remember the exact studies but they are pretty good at remembering where flowers are and their value with respect to nectar quality, volume, refill time, etc.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Here's a tern I saw on the beach. I think there is something on it's leg but I'm not sure what it is.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That's a band/ring, it'll have some sort of ID on it and is used to study birds, both individually (how does this birds health change over time) and as a group (do they have stable groups, how many are there?)

Nice photo!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I believe that where it’s possible to sex the bird prior to banding, males are banded on the right leg, and females on the left. More complex studies might have multiple bands on multiple legs, with colors to indicate different things.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

MrYenko posted:

I believe that where it’s possible to sex the bird prior to banding, males are banded on the right leg, and females on the left. More complex studies might have multiple bands on multiple legs, with colors to indicate different things.

Now there's even experiments with the colors of bands themselves. There's debate that certain colors of band on certain species of birds can change bird behavior. For example, putting red bands on finches has been shown to improve their mating capacity. Females cannot get enough of a sharp dressed man.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

That's a band/ring, it'll have some sort of ID on it and is used to study birds, both individually (how does this birds health change over time) and as a group (do they have stable groups, how many are there?)

Nice photo!

Ah, that’s neat!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The bands have a many-digit # on them. If you have a dead/injured bird in hand, or a very cooperative live bird that you can photograph well enough to get the entire number, site for band reporting in North America is here . It should cover species except for upland game birds, racing pigeons, and zoo escapees.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Osprey at Crandon Park, Key Biscayne

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The National Audobon Society has decided it is high time to address an important question in avian taxonomy:

When Is a Bird a ‘Birb’? An Extremely Important Guide

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

There’s a pair of sandhill cranes at my workplace, I’ve seen them over the past few months. Always around the same place and just the two of them. I wonder if they have a nest, it’s on the southern edge of their breeding territory (Chicagoland). They’re very chill, don’t seem to mind people at all kind of like geese.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's a bit late for them to be nesting, I would think?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I misunderstood the range map, I guess Chicagoland is an “important staging area”. I guess they’ve been staging for a month or two now!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eeyo posted:

There’s a pair of sandhill cranes at my workplace, I’ve seen them over the past few months. Always around the same place and just the two of them. I wonder if they have a nest, it’s on the southern edge of their breeding territory (Chicagoland). They’re very chill, don’t seem to mind people at all kind of like geese.

Hate those fuckers. They scream loudly, like a drunk dude yelling "Woo!". The pileated woodpeckers make a racket too. Like over-sized chickens.

I've got bobwhite quail at my new house. I hear them calling to each other but haven't seen them yet. I need to get a game camera and put out some corn.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Quite unusually (for my garden) there was a single goldfinch hanging around all day, and it even let me get close enough for a photo. Hoping there's nothing wrong with it, as they're usually too skittish for humans to walk up to them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Any good recommendations for a reasonably affordable heated bird bath?