Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Birding is harder than it looks! I finally took my camera out to the local nature preserve after a few weeks of practice on my back porch. It's so much harder to find and track birds in the middle of a forest than watching them fly up to my birdfeeder.

Anyway can I get help on an ID? I saw several new species but this one is tough, I think it's a juvenile male Indigo Bunting? I'm on the IL/WI border and I can't think of anything else with a matching range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah or maybe female

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Magpies are such great birds, I love them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This is Stumpy, who turned up one day and started living with one of the local groups.

His missing foot made him awkward on the ground and he had a bit of wear on his wingtips and tail from using them to balance himself but by god could he ever fly.

Unfortunately after a few months he disappeared as suddenly as he arrived, poor little guy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They’re really fast and really tiny so I can’t get a decent pic to save my life, but we’ve got a killdeer brood with 2-3 chicks running around somewhere near my house :kimchi:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've just moved to a place with actual nature around and it has been really cool to see the frequent visitors and their habits. I've been seeing this little sedge of Sandhill Cranes pop by to snack in the mornings and, lacking a zoom lens, verryyy slowly shuffled over at an angle for photos.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sandhill cranes are amazing creatures

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
here are some boring birds i see

https://i.imgur.com/U1CSmhU.mp4
Blue jay dancing after I saw her again after being away for a couple weeks

A crow, underexposed and blinking

Another blue jay, shy

European starling. Beautiful but I think they're quite stupid

😜

Dany DeVito chicken here

The chickadees appreciate good decorations

Almost went for it!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

tuyop posted:

boring birds
No birds are boring!

My local (Australian) magpie has been sitting on her nest for a week now, only two more weeks until magpie chicks!
If it's not raining she still comes around for breakfast, otherwise her mate collects it and takes it to her :3:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

No birds are boring!

My local (Australian) magpie has been sitting on her nest for a week now, only two more weeks until magpie chicks!
If it's not raining she still comes around for breakfast, otherwise her mate collects it and takes it to her :3:

I miss the magpies from Alberta

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Love those colors!

TypeOneWombat
Jun 9, 2023
I'm glad I found this thread, Love all the birds posted.
I shot these two Galahs when I was at my In-Laws last weekend. I think they're my favourite birds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

:rip: Harvey the blackbird memorial post :coolbird:

I had a distinctively leucistic blackbird take on my garden as his territory this spring, which is obviously cool and awesome. Who doesn't like a bird you can actually tell apart from the others?

He could cling to feeders, which is an unusual talent for blackbirds

He likes a bath, like all other blackbirds

He was unfortunately also delicious, like all other blackbirds :sigh:
https://i.imgur.com/jKRs6JR.mp4
A 100% deserved meal for the sparrow hawk - if you slow it down a little, you can see how well it manoeuvers its approach in the span of about 3-4 frames. I don't know if it comes on automatically when I embed a video, but the clip has audio.

e: vv Thanks! VV

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 30, 2023

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

[url] tags for embedded video, not [timg]

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

:rip: Harvey the blackbird memorial post :coolbird:

He was unfortunately also delicious, like all other blackbirds :sigh:
https://i.imgur.com/jKRs6JR.mp4
A 100% deserved meal for the sparrow hawk - if you slow it down a little, you can see how well it manoeuvers its approach in the span of about 3-4 frames. I don't know if it comes on automatically when I embed a video, but the clip has audio.

:rip:

Sick video! I love it and am jealous you got to see it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The hummingbirds finally found my feeder so I stuck my GoPro on it and surprisingly they weren’t bothered by it. It’s been a hoot watching them.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
^^ Nice!

Just a public service announcement to get out there and check out fall migration. With that and the hurricane season birds are really moving around right now. I haven't gotten many photos yet this season but I did see a scarlet tanager and chestnut-sided warbler last month which are pretty unusual for the Bay Area. Not that rare, but there were a couple of phalaropes in a nearby park too.

Miller-knox red necked phalaropes-8224 on Flickr

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
My camera sucks, but I saw a Pileated Woodpecker while hiking, and managed to get a blurry shot with my monocular!

It was exciting!

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

My camera sucks, but I saw a Pileated Woodpecker while hiking, and managed to get a blurry shot with my monocular!

It was exciting!

The first time I saw one I was shocked at how big they are. If you're used to the more urban-suburban-common downy or hairy woodpeckers or flickers, you're really not prepared for a woodpecker the size of a crow.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They are so huge and charismatic. Wonderful birds.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Awesome find. I hope to find one sometime.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

For those of you who want to ruthlessly stalk the birds in your backyard without setting up an RPi running BirdNet-Pi, there is a solution:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scribelabs/birdweather-puc?ref=3v6fke

$200 for waterproof goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I'm building 2 of those this weekend. One raspberry pi, one orange Pi.

I'm trying to use a Orange Pi instead of Raspberry, because RasPis are really hard to find and have become reasonably expensive. Orange Pi can be less than $20. Combine it with a cheap USB mic and you can build one for less than $30 and an hour of your time.

I'll let you know how it goes. I've seen a couple reports of success with the Orange.

Once/if I've got them working I'm going to make some fake birdhouses to house them and my wife is going to paint said enclosures.