Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Hello all, I'm new to birding. I have a cheap pair of binoculars that is good enough for now, and some feeders in my yard. I've got Merlin and eBird, and am learning lots. I'm mostly in it to observe and grow closer to the neighborhood corvids. The crows are awesome but I also have at least 5 jays that are regulars to my feeders. This is exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I'm out birding every day so far for the bird count, I wish I could better identify birds by song. I realize that online guides have playable bird songs, but does anybody know of something like an ID game?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Thank you! I'll give that a try, I already have an eBird account.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
It's a little wonky but I don't think I'm getting hurt by learning more birds anyway.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
That's awesome! At this time of year I suspect I'd have to travel a bit to see so many new species.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
On my commute home as soon as I pulled into my neighborhood a red tail hawk came down and landed nearby with a prey item. Some sort of small bird I couldn't identify it, but hawk! That was so cool, I wish I could have gotten photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
That's my experience as well, I only thought there was a couple kind of birds local to me.