Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Hello, I have European Robins nesting in the garden this spring :3:

(zoom for discreet spying bird)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Quite unusually (for my garden) there was a single goldfinch hanging around all day, and it even let me get close enough for a photo. Hoping there's nothing wrong with it, as they're usually too skittish for humans to walk up to them...

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Enfys posted:

that's worrying :( keep an eye on him and for any other finches acting off - it could be that nasty virus in which case you should take down your feeders for a couple weeks and disinfect them

I never saw him again after that :(

On the other hand I'm seeing more goldfinches than ever around here, so hopefully it was just an unlucky one

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

My blue tits hatched today :3:

Hoping they'll stick around in my garden like last year so I get to see them before they're off

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

:rip: Harvey the blackbird memorial post :coolbird:

I had a distinctively leucistic blackbird take on my garden as his territory this spring, which is obviously cool and awesome. Who doesn't like a bird you can actually tell apart from the others?

He could cling to feeders, which is an unusual talent for blackbirds

He likes a bath, like all other blackbirds

He was unfortunately also delicious, like all other blackbirds :sigh:
https://i.imgur.com/jKRs6JR.mp4
A 100% deserved meal for the sparrow hawk - if you slow it down a little, you can see how well it manoeuvers its approach in the span of about 3-4 frames. I don't know if it comes on automatically when I embed a video, but the clip has audio.

e: vv Thanks! VV

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 30, 2023