Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Love birding. Have had a feeder in the backyard for a few years now wherever I lived. In the city it was all euro house sparrows and maybe some goldfinches in the summer and chickadees in the winter. Moved to a very rural very small town for work and it’s a whole new birdy world.

I like grackles too, - smart and wily - but I really grow to resent them whenever a gang of 40 young males drive out everyone else and take over your bird feeder. If it wasn’t them, it would be the European House sparrows who I of course also have a soft spot for because birb but they are aggressive little bastards too, driving away smaller, native birds. This made me switch from sunflower to nyjer/thistle seed and it’s been wild how much it has changed - now I have all sorts of finches and wrens and native sparrows and it is a good feeder. I still chuck sunflowers out sometimes further back in my very rural backyard but that just means I only get grackles/house sparrows for a couple days.

Saw a turkey vulture for the first time the other day. Apparently their populations are rebounding because the habitat they lost to farmland has been replaced by abandoned farm houses which they have taken to nesting in. Which I think is nifty. It’s like poetry. It rhymes.

We just got a 10x set of binocs for free and are really looking forward to checking out the bird sanctuaries in my area. My region is a huge stopping point for all sorts of migratory birds so while there’s maybe a smaller set that live here year round you get to see all sorts of cool little duders as they pop by for a visit on their way to somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU