Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Come take a tour of the garden with me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHtkyTSrbCA
With the spirit of rebooting this forum as a more well rounded outdoor place, we should have a place for gardening. Plants grow outdoors, and some of them even produce stuff you can eat. Gardening is also heavily recommended to add chill to your life. This is something we can all use.
I'm no master gardener, nor much of a poster, but I dabble in both.
Post your questions, advice, photos, videos, whatever for any of your outdoor growing activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's a good beginner resource for somebody who has touched more computers than plants and doesn't know jack poo poo about gardening?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Stuntman posted:

what's a good beginner resource for somebody who has touched more computers than plants and doesn't know jack poo poo about gardening?
If you're in the US your state almost certainly has a master gardener program. The master gardener program almost certainly has a master gardening handbook. The master gardening handbook will basically be an encyclopaedia of gardening knowledge specifically calibrated for your local environment.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Ok but seriously most of my flower garden gets eaten by rabbits, help.

I’m on year 2.5 of make the crummy front garden of my somewhat urban plot into a lowish maintenance cottage-style pollinator garden without breaking the bank in any one season. It would be further along if it weren’t for rabbits.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Fencing, caging, etc for rabbits. They dig too, so bury that hardware cloth or chicken wire.

For beginner resources, what I have done with some success is pick out a plant I like to eat, and know is grown in my area, and search for "how to grow x" or "x care". Then I watch whatever videos come up, and give whatever a try.

I also pester goons for tips .

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I moved back home to the family farm so I actually have a place to garden again but I didn't do poo poo to prep the area I put my garden in and now it's overrun with grass :negative:

It was kind of a lovely area between the lawn and a soybean field that was just unhealthy crabgrass and weeds and all I did was till it once and plant my stuff. Now the crabgrass is back for revenge and I don't have the time or energy to weed it by hand. Also apparently the soil is really bad because my sweet corn looks extremely nitrogen deficient. I stole some fertilizer out of the big boy planter and dribbled it out near the base of the plants so hopefully it's not too late to save it.

Next year I'm gonna nuke the gently caress out of the area with glyphosate and till in a bunch of fertilizer a couple weeks before I want to plant.

Plan ahead!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

BadSamaritan posted:

I’m on year 2.5 of make the crummy front garden of my somewhat urban plot into a lowish maintenance cottage-style pollinator garden without breaking the bank in any one season. It would be further along if it weren’t for rabbits.

How urban are we talking? If you're not morally opposed to it and your neighbors wouldn't freak out you can kill em pretty easy with a pellet gun.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

BadSamaritan posted:

Have you planted stinky perimeter plants like marigolds, mint, lavender, or sage? Do you apply red pepper and other taste deterrents? How about animal or human hair? Dried blood is also an option

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
So the start of the gardening year, my green bean plants grow an inch, wrap themselves, grow leaves....the leaves die, fall off, and the plant grows another inch. The cycle repeated itself a few times.

What's the user error here? The are done buns now, but for next time. They a great place for sun and were watered regularly.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Stuntman posted:

In order to not get catch all bullshit advice youve gotta define what gardening means for your situation and goals. Planters or yard? Veggies or ornamentals? Growing for yield, fun, or pure aesthetics? Describe what youre trying to do and youll get good advice bc plants and gardening are all about placement, viability, and intent

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Athanatos posted:

So the start of the gardening year, my green bean plants grow an inch, wrap themselves, grow leaves....the leaves die, fall off, and the plant grows another inch. The cycle repeated itself a few times.

What's the user error here? The are done buns now, but for next time. They a great place for sun and were watered regularly.

What kind of soil are you working with? Did you amend the soil or fertilize? Did you put compost on them? The lack of growth and consistent early curling could indicate a nutrient deficiency (or a shitload of other things), need to contextualize the problem

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’ve got a sweet porch garden of peppers right now. Just got my first Chile de arbol in. Also have some tasty basil growing in a pot.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Neato, a gardening thread. I got it in me to pick up some herbs at Home Depot last summer since I hate paying four bucks for a bunch of tarragon I’m using once and never again, going into year 2 and the parsley is the sole survivor and is currently making a jillion seeds and nothing else

Even though I live in San Diego where stuff should grow pretty easily, I still managed to exterminate some Mexican tarragon, lemon thyme, and even basil (eaten by bugs), so this ones a bookmark for me. Please tell me how not to kill everything I touch.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rob Rockley posted:

Neato, a gardening thread. I got it in me to pick up some herbs at Home Depot last summer since I hate paying four bucks for a bunch of tarragon I’m using once and never again, going into year 2 and the parsley is the sole survivor and is currently making a jillion seeds and nothing else
The parsley thing is normal. Parsley's biennial, so the first year it grows like crazy, and if you're growing it for the leaves that's when you'll get them. Then the second year it'll immediately get woody and go to seed. If you're not saving the seeds or hoping for it to self-sow, you can dig up the plant for the edible (and pretty tasty) taproot.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Oil of Paris posted:

What kind of soil are you working with? Did you amend the soil or fertilize? Did you put compost on them? The lack of growth and consistent early curling could indicate a nutrient deficiency (or a shitload of other things), need to contextualize the problem

It makes total sense a deficiency from the soil. It was just transplanted soil from my garden area so I assumed it would be fine, but clearly that didn't work out. Next season I'll put more emphasis on the soil.

It's funny, we have a place we camp near a river here that green beans grow crazy, don't even know how they started there. I have plenty from there, but the home ones just didn't take.

Appreciate you!

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
I just made a farming thread here, hope I'm not moving in on your turf (eh? Eh?) but I want to see if there are any other farm workers on here. Also by the way y'all, gardening is tricky :o: I'm used to everything being in tidy rows in the field and now I'm trying to learn to garden and geeze but ornamentals are so particular compared to crops! I started a bunch of seeds back in March and I still have bells of Ireland germinating in the flats (and yes I did stratify them but apparently not well). I harvested some for a bouguet today that came up in may and even though they're all crooked and only 10" tall im so proud of them lol
I have a 4b partial shade/shade garden, y'all got any nifty plants I should try? This is my first year in it and so I have astilbe, classic and fern leaf bleeding heart, hosta, penstemon hirsutus, annise hyssop, foxglove, creeping thyme, mint, horehound, bee balm, Jacobs ladder plant, lily of the valley doing well. I have phlox, a wisteria, snap dragons, a clematis, a very dead rose, various Campanula, sedums+sempervivums, bedraggled bells of ireland, that are suffering/probably never blooming but I covet them so I keep trying.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

SubG posted:

The parsley thing is normal. Parsley's biennial, so the first year it grows like crazy, and if you're growing it for the leaves that's when you'll get them. Then the second year it'll immediately get woody and go to seed. If you're not saving the seeds or hoping for it to self-sow, you can dig up the plant for the edible (and pretty tasty) taproot.

Oh yeah I figured out about the lifecycle, just waiting for it to finish and then I think I'll plant some seeds later this month and save the rest for next year so I always have one good parsley plant. And yes, the moment I've harvested most of the seeds I'm digging up that root, never cooked parsley root before.

SubG posted:

If you're in the US your state almost certainly has a master gardener program. The master gardener program almost certainly has a master gardening handbook. The master gardening handbook will basically be an encyclopaedia of gardening knowledge specifically calibrated for your local environment.

How did I not know this was a thing. Guess I know what I'm doing next year.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my kinda ape posted:

I moved back home to the family farm so I actually have a place to garden again but I didn't do poo poo to prep the area I put my garden in and now it's overrun with grass :negative:

It was kind of a lovely area between the lawn and a soybean field that was just unhealthy crabgrass and weeds and all I did was till it once and plant my stuff. Now the crabgrass is back for revenge and I don't have the time or energy to weed it by hand. Also apparently the soil is really bad because my sweet corn looks extremely nitrogen deficient. I stole some fertilizer out of the big boy planter and dribbled it out near the base of the plants so hopefully it's not too late to save it.

Next year I'm gonna nuke the gently caress out of the area with glyphosate and till in a bunch of fertilizer a couple weeks before I want to plant.

Plan ahead!

fish emulsion. spray it at the base of the corn then give it a good soaking.

poo poo gets usable nitrogen into the soil overnight.

Puppy Doll
Dec 20, 2011

Hey everybody!
I'm trying to grow chamomile in pots in my apartment. The first flower came in last week!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The Voice of Labor posted:

fish emulsion. spray it at the base of the corn then give it a good soaking.

poo poo gets usable nitrogen into the soil overnight.

Hmmmm, I will have to see if I can find some, thanks!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I picked up some komatsuna seeds after seeing someone in this thread talk about them being rather hearty to heat.
It looks like the first of them are starting to peak out of their peat pellets.
I hope komatsuna tastes good, because it turns out the pack I ordered has like 1500 seeds in it.

Related: When deciding whether to buy seeds in small quantities or bulk, find out if people use those seeds for microgreens, because those terms might not mean what you think they mean.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

While I've no issue with this thread in general, there's already a couple of well established gardening threads over in DIY that I'm sure would love to see new faces.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

We did wonder whether these threads would be appropriate to move out to TGO but I personally considered them too home-based, but I could ask them?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I think they make more sense here personally but ask what they prefer.

At the very least the general plants thread would be more appropriate here, veggie and herb gardening could go either way I suppose, and landscaping is probably more appropriate in DIY.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 18, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rob Rockley posted:

How did I not know this was a thing. Guess I know what I'm doing next year.
Yeah. And the handbook is a good reference even if you're not planning on entering the Master Gardener program. And the California Master Gardener Handbook is an especially good one, as a general reference. Since California is so big and covers so much territory, it's a pretty good reference for anyone living in the western US.

poeticoddity posted:

I picked up some komatsuna seeds after seeing someone in this thread talk about them being rather hearty to heat.
It looks like the first of them are starting to peak out of their peat pellets.
I hope komatsuna tastes good, because it turns out the pack I ordered has like 1500 seeds in it.

Related: When deciding whether to buy seeds in small quantities or bulk, find out if people use those seeds for microgreens, because those terms might not mean what you think they mean.
Komatsuna is great, I had really good luck with it this year.

You mention starting them in peat. Where are they going to end up? Container, raised bed, or what? Reason I'm asking is that for something like greens, unless you're trying to get an early start in someplace with a cold spring season, I'd just direct sow them. Either by poking a hole in the soil and sprinkling in a few seeds, or just casting the seeds on the patch of ground you want to grow them in. Most greens are more than happy to grow that way assuming you're even remotely in the right zone for them, and it avoids shocking the plants when they're transplanted.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SubG posted:

this looks dope, thank you!

Oil of Paris posted:

In order to not get catch all bullshit advice youve gotta define what gardening means for your situation and goals. Planters or yard? Veggies or ornamentals? Growing for yield, fun, or pure aesthetics? Describe what youre trying to do and youll get good advice bc plants and gardening are all about placement, viability, and intent
veggies for yield def, i do have a yard to grow things in (assuming the master tenant is ok with me using it and given the state of the plants in the space that shouldn't be a problem) but wanted to start just doing easier poo poo in like pots on the windowsill before i go whole hog on this

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Ooh yay I have another thread to occasionally post in.
I have a raised garden bed with some basil, oregano, tomatoes, jalapeños, habenero, and I can’t remember what if anything else survived. We had a late frost that took out the far half of my garden so all that’s growing there are the weeds I can’t reach. We had to put a little fence around the garden to keep the dog out, but the fence is juuuuust long enough to prevent me from doing good weeding so my garden looks disastrous. The front of the house has flowers, some hostas, and bushes. I had a nice phlox growing to a decent size then the neighborhood cat decided to take a nap in it and now it’s just squished :(
I wanted a garden along the back fence but the dog likes trotting the perimeter and has effectively destroyed that entire area into just dirt paths. (He’s a 90 lb brut so he destroys everything)
I’m not a great gardener, things die or just don’t grow pretty often but some gladiolus I planted last year grew with a vengeance this year and I’m super excited. Now if I could get my peonies to do the same we’d be in business.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Stuntman posted:

this looks dope, thank you!

veggies for yield def, i do have a yard to grow things in (assuming the master tenant is ok with me using it and given the state of the plants in the space that shouldn't be a problem) but wanted to start just doing easier poo poo in like pots on the windowsill before i go whole hog on this

For pots start off with herbs imho, basil, oregano, thyme are all easy to grow in pots and will give you good bang for your buck since you will be able to taste them in your food for relatively little effort. Then you can move on to growing some salads, lettuce, rocket, salad spinach will all grow quickly and well in pots and give you a high satisfaction return hopefully.

Once you go outside start out with basic stuff that's easy to grow like potatoes and courgettes. This will boost your morale and give you the strength to tackle the harder stuff. What is actually easy to grow will of course vary greatly depending on what climate you live in.

The key that I keep repeating here is make sure you are growing something that will baring disasters return a good yield for your effort. If you jump straight into harder stuff and it all dies after you put a ton of work in and you get nothing you will be put off for a long time probably, which would be a shame. Growing your own food is awesome.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a word on roquette:

don't listen to the yuppies. if you harvest it before it's started to seed, or at least flower, it won't be spicy. the spiciness is good, pick it young and it just tastes like overly grassy greens.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Got a cute pic of a bee on my oregano yesterday :3:

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

The Voice of Labor posted:

a word on roquette:

don't listen to the yuppies. if you harvest it before it's started to seed, or at least flower, it won't be spicy. the spiciness is good, pick it young and it just tastes like overly grassy greens.

We used to sell big bunches of the flowers for salads. They pop off easily and are sweet and just the tiny bit spicy, they really top off a fancy salad exquisitely

Jaded Burnout posted:

While I've no issue with this thread in general, there's already a couple of well established gardening threads over in DIY that I'm sure would love to see new faces.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

We did wonder whether these threads would be appropriate to move out to TGO but I personally considered them too home-based, but I could ask them?

Yeah, those are good threads but I'm still going to keep posting in this one for now to show my spirit for TGO and to boost its posts. What if we were a little more rugged in here, maybe wearing hiking shoes and carabineers while we garden

Sprue fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 18, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I’ve always wanted to try making a kind of railway system for a Galen. I hate bending down and sometimes I daydream about something like a massage table on wheels running on rails across the patch.

It would need a very flat garden and a lot of setup but you could just lie there in comfort pulling yourself forward as you wanted, plus you could fit sun shades, umbrellas, mosquito nets etc to it, all of which suck the fun out of gardening for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

After some thought I'm going to close this thread and redirect some of this posting juice.

I've moved the general plant thread out of DIY and into TGO. This is a good place for talking about plants in general and outdoors.

The gardening thread over in DIY is the right place for gardening discussion, please go on over there for that, regardless of ruggedness, though I do appreciate the team spirit.

There's also landscaping and hydroponics available over there.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 18, 2020