Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what bullshit recommendations are you seeing when you open youtube?

youtube keeps recommending me medieval song remixes for some god drat reason.

i never clicked any of them and they just keep showing up. gently caress off google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i clicked on the mideval remixes, thats why youre seeing them - sorry

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
a recommend YOU get on a TUBE of fresh jenkem and huff that poo poo up op

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

paw patrol ASMR

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
I get the stupid medieval remixes, too. YouTube just likes to brute force stuff onto its audience, nothing new.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I've been getting A LOT of the new Sam Hyde stuff showing up because I watched the MDE stuff back when it came out.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tbh it's a pretty sick remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRIfsFefatg

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

My wife hates that song but she likes this version because she's a big loving nerd

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Sid Vicious posted:

My wife hates that song but she likes this version because she's a big loving nerd

My big nerdy d&d discord group posted a bunch of this poo poo and y'know it's pretty good

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

The_Continental posted:

I've been getting A LOT of the new Sam Hyde stuff showing up because I watched the MDE stuff back when it came out.

i once clicked on a thunderf00t video making fun of elon musks dumbass tunnel. i thought it was an engineering channel but it turns out he's a huge altright incel retard with real wacky ideas when it comes to women. oh and his poo poo infected my recommendations with altright poo poo for a while.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I also get those drat medieval song covers despite never having clicked on one.

Like a third of my recommendations are things I've already watched, sometimes within the last few days. I don't get why they don't filter those out, maybe a lot of people just like watching the same videos over and over?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

YouTube knows that you are a goon dude so it automatically assumes you are a big dumb nerd. Hopefully it hasn't suggested any anime yet

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
some russians beating eachother unconscious with axes in full medieval armour.

i don't watch any fight stuff so it's making an awful lot of assumptions about my bloodlust.

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

I'm getting the medieval covers too! I'm also getting those motivational videos where someone is fast motion drawing a picture that goes with the video.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I'm also getting an entire row of "cleaning motivation" videos. I guess watching other people clean their nice apartments is supposed to get me to clean mine?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Lately it's been "How to beat <something stupid from a horror movie" or "Why you wouldn't survive <horror movie>" from a channel called the Nerd Explains. Never clicked on a single one and don't give a gently caress about how to properly run from the cold coming down in the hallway in that one stupid rear end movie but they keep coming and coming.

I also kept getting recommended Asmongold videos, who I'd heard of via nerd osmosis but never watched, and I haven't viewed anything WoW related in many many years. Google the name and imagine what it's like to have that stupid loving face staring at you all the time.

gently caress algorithmic content delivery.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you share your internet connection with someone it should answer a lot of questions

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
So many "Wow Amazing Discovery Under The Pyramids!" "Annunaki Truth Revealed" etc because I watch ancient history documentaries and lectures.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

I have history disabled so it just recommends poo poo I've clicked on like the recent spongebob episode with the creepypasta reference.

e: also I wrote a userscript that deletes the lovely ones and only shows recommendations for videos that are older than the one you're currently on

panic state fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 18, 2020

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Civvie 11

e: oh my bad i thought this was for actual recommendations of channels people like

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
by and large, youtube recommends me things I'd be interested in
if there's some poison bullshit I don't need in my life, I don't hate-watch it, I don't thumbs down, I don't comment, I don't even click, I just hit Not Interested, and this generally works and I'll almost never see it again

but in the spirit of the thread, I decided to just keep swiping down until I found something I actively didn't want, and maybe two hundred videos down things started getting weird

no idea who these people are
looking like a reasonable facsimile of youtube made for an episode of black mirror

I think shane dawson is the guy that had to go on youtube to deny loving his cat?
why anybody would be interested in any of this I have no clue, but I guess that's why youtube makes the big bucks

oh except the smash thing, I think I heard a bunch of pro smash bros players are rapists or something? I'm sure that sucks if you're into it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I clicked on a lets play for a video game I'd heard about to see what it was like. The guy who made the video is a furry. Okay, whatever.

HE PURR GROWLS AT THE START OF THE VIDEO

HE PURR GROWLS

ITS THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE poo poo EVER

and now youtube wont stop recommending me his videos

make it stop

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i once clicked on a thunderf00t video making fun of elon musks dumbass tunnel. i thought it was an engineering channel but it turns out he's a huge altright incel retard with real wacky ideas when it comes to women. oh and his poo poo infected my recommendations with altright poo poo for a while.

If you click on any video dealing with philosophy or economics, YouTube will start pushing alt-right recommendations.

If you disable personalized ads, youtube will serve you ads for The Epoch Times and The Daily Wire- on the basis of your "general location and time of day." This is the marketplace of ideas.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How did the community of people who like watching other people play a video game move on

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Same.

He still pops up now and then. He's like athlete's foot in many ways.

I think it it's because I watch some techie stuff and YT puts him in the same category.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Poop and fart, op

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

yeah this is great. sorry if your boring and dont like fun

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

YouTube thought I'd want to see this video of a baby beaver. It was right. :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obfTF9ZGUf4

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

guys in garages disassembling old tools and restoring them mostly, since that's most of what i watch already

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

evilpicard posted:

How did the community of people who like watching other people play a video game move on

They finally agreed that the rapists can play, but they have to be Luigi.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it knows what i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvLvj_-VKlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPG4eD4Dfx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQu7-BsOdQ

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
50% math proofs and the rest is random video game or movie related garbage

The most annoying thing about YouTube for me recently is that I keep getting ads for mobile games which look like the most stupid brainless asinine bullcrap ever shat out of a media conglomerates rear end in a top hat. That ad for arknights is the loving worst

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
A pretty wide variety, including food, card games, anime, video games, music, and US politics.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i got kitty kallen "it's been a long long time" and i'm okay with that

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

I sometimes watch youtube content on a tv that i never log in on and I periodically reset the app, which seems to make the recommendations occasionally interesting.

The targetted ads tho, are often very odd. Lately I keep getting a full size ad slot, of attractive women, with varying degrees of impressive awkwardness, drinking unbranded water.

No product plug at any point, no voice, just some background music. It is aptly titled "Attractive women drinking water to relaxing music". No product link and its not searchable content.

I mean, I guess as a baseline human targetted thing drinking water fits but, yeah very strange.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Blitter posted:

The targetted ads tho, are often very odd. Lately I keep getting a full size ad slot, of attractive women, with varying degrees of impressive awkwardness, drinking unbranded water.

No product plug at any point, no voice, just some background music. It is aptly titled "Attractive women drinking water to relaxing music". No product link and its not searchable content..
uhh that sounds haunted bro

have you found anybody else ever talking about this anywhere? that sounds hella mega haunted

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I have recommendations blocked op, YouTube can't recommend anything to me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i watched some dashcam videos and now its recommending me 10 hour 4k videos of some dude driving through bumfuck nowhere in realtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sFbLppuhhs