Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I know there are folks here that do trips on their motorcycles. I do have an affinity for camping off the back of my bike, though you can look down on me as I only have road going motorcycles and generally camp at state/national parks that will have a bathroom facility nearby. All that said, here is my current setup. I've been using it for about 12 years and very slowly adding to it. If anyone else has gear they could recommend, places to go or packing tips, let's get it here:

Bike is a 2016 Duke 390, the blue duffle is part of the cortech bag system, the saddle bags are Blaze soft bags.

(remember, click for big pics)
Here it is all loaded up:

Here is everything except clothes. Basically I have 1.5 of the saddle bag space free to fill with clothes or whatever:

Everything circled in red is inside the blue duffle:
#1. Coleman "Triton" 2-burner stove
#2. Cabela's XPG "lightweight" 3-person dome tent. (the tent and duffle were bought specifically because the tent fit inside the duffle)
#3. Camp Chair (I just bought it a few months ago and have only used it at home)
#4. random harbor freight tarp used as a ground cover for the tent or rain cover if it downpours.
%5. You can read it, Eureka mummy sleeping bag (even when camping int he early spring out in Illinois and Iowa I haven't needed anything else yet)
#6.Air mattress (Pacific outdoor "ether" compact model)

Everything in the blue circle is in one of the saddle bags:
Random first aid kit, LED flashlight, asthma spray, sunscreen
random dish towel
calphelon 6" frying pan and 1qt "green pan" (both bought at a thrift store)
plastic plate, random swiss army knife styled eating utensile
toiletry bag with deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, body wash and shampoo (the body wash and shampoo I just refill with whatever I'm currently using)

A number of years ago when I had my Bandit, I did a 5 state two week trip:

The bike is gone (wrecked) but a lot of the bags and equipment remain.

Here's the tent all set up:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I do a lot of backpacking. or at least I did when I was in a not lovely state, so I have a bit of ultralight, compact poo poo that translates very well to motocamping. the great thing about motocamping is that weight doesn’t really matter, it’s more the size of stuff so you can buy cheap chinese poo poo that packs well, yet may weigh more than your expensive Ti poo poo ultralight folks use

for multi week trips, nothing beats hard bags as you’ll typically be near civilization and having locking containers is one less thing to worry about :

I’ll usually top them with stinger 22l bags fixed with rok straps if I am doing a trip over a week so I can have plenty of food and changes of clothes. my main pack list is continued below

if I am just doing a weekend or an overnight scouting places to camp, I’ll use my mosko R40 I got from a lovey person on these forums:

pack list:
side bag 1:
down sleeping bag since it packs super small and I can skip it if it’s hot out
inflatable pillow
side bag 2:
spam
coffee grounds and a collapsible pour over packed inside a GSI cup (has measuring marks for water for freeze dried food / coffee)
mountain house food
cookware I like this kit because I use the pot for ramen, pan for spam, and kettle for boiling water for dehydrated food or coffee
MSR whisperlite
MSR water filter
underwear / socks
toothbrush / paste
deodorant
stinger 8l top bag:
wp gloves
hammock
hammock rain fly
poop trowel
TP
flask :D
(I swap out the 8l stinger for a 22l stinger if it’s going to be under 40° at night so I can pack my alps 1p lynx tent, a sleeping pad, and warmer layers)

that’s the main poo poo. I typically strap a mosko tent pole bag to the R40 as well since it fits those collapsible hiking chairs you can get on amazon for like $50

R40s also have two external pockets for bottles. I’ll usually have an MSR 30oz bottle filled with premium gas (MSR whisperlites will run off unleaded) just in case in one pocket. the other I’ll usually throw a hydroflask in

typically I’ll run a smaller backpack with this setup too. I got a kriega trail18 not long ago as it has a couple of roll top 100% wp compartments, so I keep my keys, mosko deluge rain gear in there and will sometimes run a hydration pack if it’s gonna be a longer trip and I want to bring more water

last but not least I always bring a hatchet cause camping without a fire is extremely lame. I’ll usually just strap it to the bike:

tl;dr: motocamping rules and I love it

I don’t really feel right critiquing others’ pack lists as you see that a lot in the backpacking community and I hate it. not everyone has hundreds of dollars to blow on stupid Ti sporks and shorter tent poles. as you travel and camp more you’ll figure out what you need and what you hate bringing with you. if I was to recommend anything it would to just be to camp even more! you’ll figure out what works and what doesn’t

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I’m critiquing your camping list because it’s growing my Amazon shopping cart right now. I did want to take my bike out with my current, kind of picked through set on a trial run this weekend. I’d have to dig up what I have.
Seriously though, one thing I always sucked at with camping was food 🤷🏼‍♂️

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

mountain house meals are insanely good for being freeze dried food. if you can find their older propaks they’re vacuum sealed super small and have more “normal” portions. from best to okay:

biscuits and gravy
chicken and dumplings
beef chili mac
chicken teriyaki
lasagna
spaghetti

unfortunately the COVID panic hosed up their supply lines when everyone freaked out and bought TP and freeze dried food, so I think you’ll only be able to find the propaks locally or possibly at REI, but they’re much smaller which rules!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Motocamping's okay I guess.

Protip: don't spill instant coffee granules in you overstuffed pillion, then ride through a horrible rainstorm, it turns into irremovable coffee sludge.

Real Protip: soft bags are much cheaper, more versatile, and more waterproof than hard pillions (maybe not true on high end ADV ones for the last one) maybe combine with a topcase if you want something to lock your valuables in.

E: all my motocamping stuff is just my backpacking stuff, because as stated they have the same design goals.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone have opinions of dryspec versus wolfman dry bags?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

honestly if you're just looking to buy roll top dry bags I would just buy whatever is cheapest on amazon. if you're looking for motorcycle specific stuff I'd be more interested in the mounting solution. wolfman (lol i hate that name) has a decent solution in which his rolltop bags strap to a U shaped harness that fits over your seat. I can't find anything similar for dryspec that couldn't just be accomplished with some rok straps

tusk has a decent mosko reckless rip off if you're looking to save some money, but dry bags are all very similar

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

For food on a trip those packs of Knorr rice or noodles along with a plastic pack of chicken or tuna is a lot cheaper than the Mountain House type freeze dried stuff. They're light and if you poke a pin hole in the rice/noodle pack, you can squeeze the extra air out. For breakfast a couple packs of oatmeal works pretty good. For coffee, well, being a coffee snob instant ain't gonna cut it, so a travel french press is small & durable enough for banging around in a top box and pre-ground in a zip-lock works to get me going. Lunch is usually some mom & pop on the road.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Retarded Pimp posted:

For food on a trip those packs of Knorr rice or noodles along with a plastic pack of chicken or tuna is a lot cheaper than the Mountain House type freeze dried stuff. They're light and if you poke a pin hole in the rice/noodle pack, you can squeeze the extra air out. For breakfast a couple packs of oatmeal works pretty good. For coffee, well, being a coffee snob instant ain't gonna cut it, so a travel french press is small & durable enough for banging around in a top box and pre-ground in a zip-lock works to get me going. Lunch is usually some mom & pop on the road.

oatmeal has been my go to for awhile til I found the mountain house biscuits and gravy lol

that poo poo is so incredibly good for what it is, but I’ll still pack oatmeal and spam if I’ve got space for the tins since it’s cheap and easy :D

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm missing camping this year, BC closed its parks to people from out of province. I guess I could stay at a private campsite but I expect those would be full of other 'bertans, and I go partially to get away from those martians.

I haven't done a real multi-day trip for a log time, so usually I just pack a few granola bars and some instant for breakfast and get a more substantial meal at a diner along the way. I've had a couple meals from the concession on the Kootenay Lake ferry, it's never what you'd actually call "good" but it's hot, it's edible, and it's fun to eat on a boat

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dang I thought the parks were just closed to out of country people, that's a real shame. I loved your guys' parks

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Another street bike/start park camper here.

I bought the bags discounted on Amazon for maybe $60 total, they turned out to be pretty nice (integrated ran covers for example) and are still in great shape after 5 years.

I suck at the food side of things, oatmeal is easy for breakfast, lunch I look for something local, dinner I'll carry some canned soup or something since weight doesn't matter.

I haven't used the Givi Trekker Outbacks on the V-Strom for camping yet. I noticed they have a warning sticker saying not to store any kind of fuel in them. Is this just a CYA lawyer thing? Do I need to think about it getting to a million degrees in these metal cases?

Favorite bike picture I've taken out camping -

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Dutymode posted:

I haven't used the Givi Trekker Outbacks on the V-Strom for camping yet. I noticed they have a warning sticker saying not to store any kind of fuel in them. Is this just a CYA lawyer thing? Do I need to think about it getting to a million degrees in these metal cases?

Favorite bike picture I've taken out camping -

you’ll be fine. just make sure it’s in a dedicated fuel bottle like those MSR ones or like a giant loop fuel bag. fuel gets way hotter in your tank than it ever would in a box

also nice pic! moto camping rules :D

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

dang I thought the parks were just closed to out of country people, that's a real shame. I loved your guys' parks

Yeah, it's to cut down on interprovincial transmission of covid. Which is a laudable goal tbh, it just kinda sucks for me personally.

Parks nationwide are definitely closed to people from the US, unless you're travelling straight through to go directly to Alaska or back. Not actually sure about how tourists from overseas that are handling it better are treated. I've read news articles about people with US plated vehicles being keyed or otherwise vandalized in Banff, even when the owners are Canadian residents. (I've also heard similar about people with AB plates in BC... there's been a fair amount of tension between the two provinces in the last few years what with pipeline slapfights)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I moto camp a lot.
Tarp and camp chair/table adds a lot of flexibility of where to actually camp in comfort.

Don't forget that the tarp can be used a wind breaker too.

You don't always find places with a proper bench like this

Another thing I've picked up is a foldy grill grate.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Supradog posted:

Another thing I've picked up is a foldy grill grate.

Oh, that's a good idea.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the grille grates are cool, some of the prices are insane though. 200$ for an "overland" one lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol that “picnic table” rules

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I have a heater/stove/water cooker question.
Have any of you used one with a flux ring system? As in jetboil, msr windburner, or similars.

Are they worth spending the cash on?
I got a primus easyfuel + alu 1L pot that works totally fine so I'm leaning towards not bothering.
At least not for moto camping, if the burner weighs 50 grams more/burns a little more gas than the most efficient ones should not be the biggest issue.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Supradog posted:

Have any of you used one with a flux ring system? As in jetboil, msr windburner, or similars.

I got a primus easyfuel + alu 1L pot that works totally fine so I'm leaning towards not bothering.
At least not for moto camping, if the burner weighs 50 grams more/burns a little more gas than the most efficient ones should not be the biggest issue.

i think it's mostly speed that's the tradeoff. i have a jetboil minimo and it's usually ~5 minutes to start boiling a full pot of water. i've not used anything else, how fast does yours work? from reviews i've watched in the past the 2.5 minutes claim for the jetboil flash was more or less accurate

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Phy posted:

Yeah, it's to cut down on interprovincial transmission of covid. Which is a laudable goal tbh, it just kinda sucks for me personally.

Parks nationwide are definitely closed to people from the US, unless you're travelling straight through to go directly to Alaska or back.

Some dude from Kentucky just got arrested in Banff and hit with a $569,000 (750k Canadian) fine. Don't gently caress with the Mounties.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Razzled posted:

i think it's mostly speed that's the tradeoff. i have a jetboil minimo and it's usually ~5 minutes to start boiling a full pot of water. i've not used anything else, how fast does yours work? from reviews i've watched in the past the 2.5 minutes claim for the jetboil flash was more or less accurate

Hm, I've never bothered to properly time it. It's not 2.5 min fast, but not 10 min slow either. Guess I'll do a test.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Supradog posted:

imho I prefer an MSR whisperlite over all of them. it lets your spare fuel (if you pack it in an MSR fuel bottle) perform double duty as a fuel source for your stove. the whisperlite will run off just about anything and includes the nozzles to do it. I've run it off those lovely coleman tanks, kerosene (leftover from cleaning chains lol), isobutane ($$), white gas, and premium and it performs fantastically for all of it. little bit of smoky residue using fuel, but just wipes off

the main thing in motocamping is the volume of what you pack, not so much the weight and the whisperlite packs up incredibly small and since you're already packing fuel, you don't have to deal with iso bottles. yes it takes longer to boil things, but you can also use it as a ghetto campfire to warm your hands when you have the genius idea to camp in early january in the TN hills like I did in a hammock lol

you can also pack the whisperlite inside of a lot of camping cookware, which is what I do, again conserving space which is your main goal!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Yup. Weight isn't a huge ordeal like right arm mentioned, volume is.

I've a pair of jetboil flash models that went around on the suzukis for a few years. an extra fuel can doesn't eat much space and typically all I bring along. I also have their larger Genesis stove and a MSR Dragonfly.
I drag the jetboil flash along on just about every trip, whether it is on a moto, bicycle, backpack, 4wd, or in a camper. I can rely on it to work when nothing else will. When not in use the torch and fuel tank are stored inside the pot making the whole thing fairly compact. It comes with a coffee strainer too. The only issue i've had with em in the ~5-6 years of owning them is the neoprene sleeve on one is a little melty from a flare up years ago. It still works fine.

The Dragonfly itself packs down smaller than all of em but drat does that thing hate desert winds, even with the shield. outside of that it works really well. I've had it for almost a decade now. It does eat more space effectively with the fuel can, the bottle, and separate cookware. Because of that it spent most of its time in 4wd vehicles and not the smaller motos.

The Genesis isn't really applicable to what you wanna do, it's huge and will feed an army a christmas dinner in the woods. It picks up where the Dragonfly left off more or less. It's a great stove that also eats a ton of space. Best used for stupid advs, 4wds, and campers.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Finally got to ride/camp around lake Michigan this weekend. Found some neat places to camp and had a great time.

I typed up a trip report but awfulapp crashed uploading the pics and ate my post. I threw everything into an IG pinned story if anyone is interested.

http://instagram.com/Matthewfrancisphoto

Map Link
https://rever.app.link/dLGsjGcfD9

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 9, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

my turn in the barrel posted:

Finally got to ride/camp around lake Michigan this weekend. Found some neat places to camp and had a great time.

I typed up a trip report but awfulapp crashed uploading the pics and ate my post. I threw everything into an IG pinned story if anyone is interested.

http://instagram.com/Matthewfrancisphoto

Map Link
https://rever.app.link/dLGsjGcfD9

Yo,

A) that's sick.

B).post it in the Riding Game thread and appoint a new challenge so that thread continues on.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Yo,

A) that's sick.

B).post it in the Riding Game thread and appoint a new challenge so that thread continues on.

Done ✔

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

thank u

also good job. motocamping rules and you did it right. living off your bike for a few days is so incredibly fun

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bumping to post a photo of how I packed so I can reference it next week before I leave when I wonder if I forgot something:

this is for 9 nights of camping. everything pictured either fits in the bags:

or is strapped to the bike :D

only stuff not pictured is two more mountain house breakfasts, some changes of underclothes and deodorant, toothpaste, and that sort of crap. that’ll all fit in one of the R40 bags though easily. plenty of room leftover for some tall boys thankfully :D

water will be in the backpack in a kriega branded 3.75l hydrapak along with the rain gear

tools and chain lube are beneath the seat. fingers crossed I won’t need the tools though!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Where you get that dope strap for the hatchet?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

it’s a mosko moto-branded voile strap! they’re super useful. I’d use actual voiles to bind my skis when backcountry skiing back in OR, but they work a bit better than rok straps for affixing things to the bike since they’re rubber

that being said, rok straps are still my favorites, but voiles have some pretty great uses. holding axes being their main one :D

e: also, if you’re getting some I’d recommend one of each size. the black ones are long which is nice to binding crap like bundles of wood you plan on burning at camp, but you’ll have to wrap smaller things several times like that hatchet

right arm fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 9, 2020

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thanks. These Mosko fucks have gotten so much money out if me. They make great stuff.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Spiffness posted:

Thanks. These Mosko fucks have gotten so much money out if me. They make great stuff.

oh no doubt lol I just bought their jackaloft top and am eagerly looking forward to their heated gear they’ve got in the design phase

their backpack that they’re finishing up on looks a bit too small for me personally, but kriega finally came out with that trail 18 (that is pictured) and 9 that both have a built in roll top dry bags I use for key fobs, photography crap, and other stuff I need to be able to pull out sooner than later. it will be interesting to see what they come up with though as they obviously know wth they’re doing :D

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I completely forgot to post the results of my camping trip..

Campsite:

Feral camp cat seemed to like me:

The site was at a Llama farm so we get

Llamas in the mist:

Up close and personal with Llamas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ3_EXswrG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBVwocVbnE

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Skreemer posted:

Feral camp cat seemed to like me:

:swoon:

Where were you camping?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

FBS posted:

:swoon:

Where were you camping?

Out near Gun Barrel City (could there be a more "Texas" city name?) There's a working farm called Llamaland.

https://www.hipcamp.com/texas/llama-land-ranch/llamaland-tent-camping

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
In the mean time I was out again this weekend at Lake Lavon:
Lavonia Park - http://www.lake-lavon.com/lavonia-park/

Got there early enough to set up the tents in the daylight, got some food and it wasn't too bad Friday evening. All morning Saturday from about 1AM to 4AM it got pretty rainy but cleared up and was drat near dry when we went to leave.

Worst campground though as there's a train track right next to it, and it was drat busy all night.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the hatchet was a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

yeah, a campfire is nice and gives you something to do when you get to camp. I really prefer to camp at places where I can have a fire going.