Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

just jumping in again while I have service to say that the MABDR is much better than I expected

gonna head up to paw paw (lol) tomorrow and then probably head back a different route interspersed with my favorite parts of the MABDR (water crossings lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Went bike camping last weekend; my number one takeaway is that I need some sort of chair.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm going casual group camping at major parks, so I'm the only guy without a chair. I might not care as much by myself.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 23, 2020

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Helinox or noname knock offs of them. They have low seat or high back and + size options.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Went bike camping last weekend; my number one takeaway is that I need some sort of chair.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm going casual group camping at major parks, so I'm the only guy without a chair. I might not care as much by myself.

As I get older, something to sit on other than the ground has become more important. I had enough room to buy one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0844K42MV/ref=dp_prsubs_2

Though some of the folks I ride with simple take one of the little tripod ones.
https://www.amazon.com/TravelChair-...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Like when i was younger, just a 1/2inch foam mat was more than enough for sleeping, now I use an inflatable mattress:
https://www.rei.com/product/169934/...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The tripod stool is exactly what I was looking at, yeah. I don't find the ground uncomfortable just yet, I'm sure I'll get there some day, but I want to both get out of the dirt and not be squatting around randomly when everyone else has a "spot".

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the first one that skreemer posted is similar to what I use, but mine is orange and black of course lol

nice thing about them is that the poles fit perfectly in the fuel bottle compartment on a mosko R40 so you don’t have to deal with trying to pack the poles elsewhere. I believe they’ll fit in the standalone fuel bottle packs as well!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Moto camping is good. Even when it's winter.

Probably hit mid 20's overnight but clear skies, an almost full moon and plenty of fresh firewood thanks to a recent storm front made for a nice time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, so gorgeous; excellent pics. There's now that much frost on the ground in the mornings around here and you're making me want to go out this weekend anyway.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

long poast incoming:

this is my writeup of my ~1700mi trip up the MABDR from franklin, TN all the way up to paw paw, MD and then back down home to nashville, TN along with coordinates for folks in case they'd like to know where are some decent free campsites!

rough map of my (planned) ride:

my loadout (posted this further upthread):

this is usually my basic packlist I add / subtract from depending on what's needed for a particular trip:

luggage list:
  • mosko moto r40 (includes 8l stinger in the middle of the pic. a v2 will be out likely early next year, so if purchasing new I'd recommend waiting as it looks like they're going a similar route as their r80 with regards to being able to purchase the fuel pods (aux pox is the new term) separately as well as choosing either a stinger 8l or 22l or none at all)
  • mosko moto 22l stinger (I like this bag as a hard bag topper, but it also fits within the tail of the r40 and r80. the stinger 8l has integrated straps which make it easier affixing it to the bike whereas the 22l will require you to use your own strap solution)
  • kriega trail 18 (I've owned a few kriega bags before, but this is my current favorite as it has two actual, 100% waterproof sections that use roll tops to secure their items. I used a kriega-branded 3.75l hydrapack to drink out of during the trip and store water for meals while camping)
  • mosko moto pico v2
  • mosko moto navigator (the v1 pico had a see through window that allowed you to view your cell in, but the v2 now has a MOLLE system that is handy for strapping crap like this or a map book or w/e to it instead)
  • osprey 20l bag (I use this to pack out my own garbage and the garbage of others since it packs so compactly and is cheap enough to pitch if I rip it from smashed beer cans or w/e)

all packed up for day 1 to leave after work:

first night was spent out at basically a deer camp in the daniel boone national forest. there was a much appreciated vault toilet and fire ring here. water is available in normal camping months. coordinates: 36.6289, -84.7259

crappy photo of the actual site (there are about 8 sites here and during the winter it's only real busy on the weekends due to whitetail season, but that ends late december if you'd like to avoid that crowd). the deer loop is available all year which rules when so many campsites shut down in the winter for god knows what reason:

this was the only actual campsite I stayed at on my trip and I mostly picked it due to it being free (paying to camp on a bike is stupid when you can literally ride anywhere) and being a more or less guaranteed thing since I was arriving almost right at sunset since I left after work on a tuesday. sunset was killer though and it was all easy gravel coming from the west

day 2 was quite a bit of pavement like day 1, but again, like day 1, ended in a bit of lovely gravel & dirt. also I refilled my water bladder in my backpack using that trailshot at this "waterfall":

ended up camping close to where the appalachian trail crossed the gravel in VA as there was a lovely clearing with no one in sight. coordinates: 37.0227181, -81.4253784

dinner was my all time fave dehydrated meal, chicken and dumplings, alongside a bit of some delicious nikka days that helped me pass tf out

photo of the clearing:

made a lovely fire here in the morning, had my favorite mountain house breakfast, biscuits and gravy, and made a lovely cup of drip coffee I using some beans I ground before I left from green salmon. ended up leaving a little later this morning since I had plenty of time to cover the remainder of section 1 of the MABDR:

finished up section 1 of the MABDR on day 3. campsite was again at an appalachian trail crossing in VA located at 37.17015, -80.90186

ride was beautiful, lots of gravel and incredible views:

this is the bridge the trail uses to cross kimberling creek iirc:

I got here earlyish in the day since my last site was so very close and ended up wandering around on the trail for a couple of hours after making camp close to the bridge. gathered a bit of old, dry driftwood and sticks and poo poo on the trail and hauled it back to my campsite for fires in the AM and PM:

I had enough room in my second r40 roll for a 32oz high life after clearing out some of my food supplies :D

used the fire to purge some of my flammable trash I picked up / packed out in the previous nights which was nice. pro tip: save your dryer lint (pictured in the bag with the TP in my loadout photo) and use it as tinder for starting campfires. it burns somewhat slowish and can be dipped in the gas you keep in your fuel bottles if you really want to get poo poo going. refilled the kriega again in the river and got to use the good ol deuce (lol) for the first time this trip :D

day 4 was the start and end of section 2 and the first part of section 3. near a trailhead in VA at 37.91105, -79.83708

tub run road was very very fun and probably the first time I was happy I chose to bring knobbies. you could do it on the 705s I had previously, but it definitely would not have been as fun. lots of excellent views after tub run road:

there were a couple of "water crossings" on this route, but nothing I would be afraid of doing in a passenger car. the real ones were on day 5 and the last day :D ended up getting in a little later (5ish) this day just cause I took my time exploring little side trails all over the place. no fire or anything exciting tonight as I was too lazy to build one, but it was still a lovely campsite all the same!

day 5 was probably my favorite day of the trip other than the tub run road section. it was all of section 3 and then a bit of section 4 before I diverted to head back home after hitting the MD border. 3 actual water crossings and lots of miles of dirt, mild mud, and poorly maintained gravel. did not get any photos of the water crossings here, but they weren't too terribly hairy. the worst wasn't even on the MABDR, but was on the last day on my way back and was 100% optional, but I just decided to try my luck lol

rode past an :nsa: listening post in sugar grove, WV which was quite spooky as there was literally nothing around, and then a whole bunch of military housing, checkpoints, and serious fencing. had no idea what it was til I looked it up after the fact

anyways, water crossings are fun in a "ha ha I survived" way. they were very "do or die" especially since I was completely solo. I feel like that pressure definitely made me not gently caress up, cause if I would've dumped it in any of the crossings and taken on water, I would've been quite hosed as it would've been a several hour hike out to service in wet gear lol

ended the day in WV after looping up through the MD border near Paw Paw. coordinates for where I stayed: 39.06791, -79.4855

this was a long ride, and is typically what I always end up doing on these sorts of trips: slow, ponderous pace to where I am going, then just a blitz back home. probably had a lot to do with the fact that it probably was 48 at the warmest during this trip :D

last night was spent near the french broad river back in TN. coordinates: 35.93323, -82.90801

lovely site. highly recommended, but no pics because I obviously got lazy on my way back as I was dreaming of my king size bed lol

final day on the trail was also a bit of a rush. I did end up severely straying from my planned route though as I had ridden that southern section of the map before doing the TN portion of the TAT and camped those sites. I rode from that last site allllll the way back up into KY

before the biggest water crossing I did:

the water crossing (route I took is right through the middle to the rocky bank on the other side):

was maybe about knee deep in the middle. this was the only one I walked to look it over before barging through it as it was far less traveled than the ones on the MABDR. it was rocky af and hearing the water sizzle on your engine & exhaust is always uhh interesting. just sat down and kept a steady throttle and held on as best I could til I came out the west side of the stream. felt quite accomplished and promptly celebrated after setting up camp maybe a mile away. coordinates: 36.60334, -84.25301

ride home was pretty much all pavement after I got out of the mud / gravel of the daniel boone national forest in KY again, but it was nice to make significant mileage progress and wring out the lc8 on the highways again

made it back to nashville at a decent enough hour to promptly shower, wash my body twice, and then pass out for about 11hr lol

all in all, it was an absolutely fantastic trip, and if I could change anything in particular it would be the following:
  • pack my 1p tent if the temperature overnight is predicted to drop under 20° overnight. I wasn't ever miserable in my hammock and 0° bag, but I definitely would've enjoyed being able to wake up and stretch a bit in a warmer tent than having to instantly wake up the moment I cracked the bag and hopped out of the hammock
  • skip the rainflies and mosko rain gear if the weather says it's going to be good, but then again, I know if I would've skipped this crap, there would have been a downpour :D
  • take more photos!! I always do this though, even if I bring my drone. when I go out solo I love to just be in nature and stay away from technology (lol tft-equipped KTM) about as much as I can

anyways; that will likely be my last "big" trip for 2020. might make my way down the trace again as I live right off the northern terminus, but with how busy medicine is at end of year I do not predict that happening until the traditional slow season at the beginning of 2021. proud of everyone else getting out there and still riding in the winter! this was my bike before my commute home on monday when we got snow here in nashville:

tl;dr: moto-camping rules and everyone should do it (especially in the winter :D)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That looks awesome. I'd love to do the MABDR someday; but it's a long way from WA.

Mosko changed the straps from V1 and V2 of their tank bags so my new bag doesnt work with the straps from my Pico V1 which was annoying to discover (also the Pico V1 doesnt like to unzip once some dust gets into those zippers...)

Thanks for linking all your stuff - I'm gonna steal that tarp recommendation.

I'm probably done moto camping for the year but I'm tossing knobbies on the 790 and will continue exploring the local fire roads looking for cool sites to tag in the GPS for next spring.

Next year I'm thinking about trying to tackle the ORBDR, IDBDR and or UTBDRs...

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

it's super easy compared to if you've done any forest road riding out in OR / WA! water crossings are always hairy whatever state you're in though :D

oh interesting! I sold mine to some dude on advrider who was actually local to me here in nashville, but it is pandemic time so I of course did not feel like meeting him in person lol. anyway, it sounds like they may be making a harness version sooner than later that sounds like it will be a MOLLE patch that you can then fit one of their tank bags, a navigator pouch, or a map pouch directly to it. if it was me and I was looking for a different tank bag (my dad has the previous nomad that you have which I like), I'd probably wait to see if that harness ever comes out cause it sounds like a good solution as I dislike having to remove my tank bag and swap it out and that is what currently prevents me from snagging a nomax or a hood from mosko

and I recommend the grey tarp. wise owl I think? that one seemed to be of a bit better quality, but I have used the green one to uhh "stealth" camp illegally throughout the states as an orange bike definitely sticks out like a sore thumb

the WABDR and ORBDRs are sick. you'll have a lot of fun on them. I'd recommend taking their (RideBDR's) gpx files and plugging them into a google mymaps (mymaps.google.com) page. that will allow you to pick a route you want between two points, and then overlay your route to the BDR's tracks so you can decide what sections you actually want to do and if you want to skip sections or go elsewhere / etc

also, the ONLY other bike I saw my entire trip was another dude on a 790 R who was heading south, so you're in good company :D

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

I dig the Nomad, it’s basically just my day bag now for work, trips out to the family, whatever. But, fuckin’ THANKS for linking that jump pack cable kit, that is going to save me some space and some headaches if I ever need to dig for my KLR’s battery.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Revvik posted:

I dig the Nomad, it’s basically just my day bag now for work, trips out to the family, whatever. But, fuckin’ THANKS for linking that jump pack cable kit, that is going to save me some space and some headaches if I ever need to dig for my KLR’s battery.

:hellyeah:

that's the main reason I loved it when I'd borrow my dad's gsa is that I could unclip it from the bike and it wouldn't look TOO weird as a backpack!

also, make 100% sure you buy the correct cable for your jump pack. the polarity is reversed on the micro start sport for reasons?? so the cable I linked also has its polarity reversed. it was fun reading the amazon reviews on it lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

right arm posted:

this is my writeup of my ~1700mi trip up the MABDR from franklin, TN all the way up to paw paw, MD and then back down home to nashville, TN along with coordinates for folks in case they'd like to know where are some decent free campsites!

God that looks beautiful, what an awesome trip; you say you want to take more pictures but the ones you have are very nice, I love it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
'Tis the season, anyone doing any winter/snow camping?
Any gear sales being taken advantage of?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Skreemer posted:

'Tis the season, anyone doing any winter/snow camping?
Any gear sales being taken advantage of?

I might do a weekend ride up to land between the lakes and camp there in Jan during our slow season. for gear deals it's all mostly summer stuff on sale currently it looks like, but that makes sense to me

mosko's got some heated gear in development that I am definitely looking forwards to as I believe they hired a glove designer. their layering stuff just makes too much sense to me to want to continue using stuff like my alpinestars gear that has stupid zip in layers that don't really "work" by themselves, so it should be nice to see what they come up with!

my better half snagged their jackaloft for me and I am very happy with it. I do know they're currently doing 25% off their rain gear kits if you're a moron (me) and enjoy rain riding. the deluge is my preferred jacket over the rak as I also use it as a normal rain jacket since it has a removeable hood. if I was buying ONLY for riding I'd probably pick the rak though since you can cinch the neck which helps for heat retention and keeping water out. for pants, either works imho. the rak pants have a full zip and a pocket, but I prefer the deluge pants since I can slip them over my toucans just fine and they are also cheaper!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It "most likely above freezing during the night so I bother to Moto camp outside" season

Ready for departure. It's a 5 day trip, only 1-2 outside, but still gotta bring the camp outside gear that brings up the volume.

Volume vs weight, it's balanced, just looks sketchy.
Also, Yes, someone hosed up the mounting of one rear tyre. It was only spotted later. Effort vs new tyre is in shipping already lead to who cares.

First camp. It's not our preferred spot in that area, but there was too much snow on the non winter plowed roads. It's been a cold spring here. A shame, since the rest of the trip is street bikeable.The gravel was a bit wet, needed some rocks on the tent pegs. A thunderstorm rolled in at 9 in the evening, just as we got the evening campfire rolling putting a hamper on things.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 14, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

cold camping rules

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

doing the geometry gymnastics and spatial logic of figuring out which way that arrow is gonna point when it's mounted is just a nice little reminder that I could never be an engineer.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Going to take the Tuono camping again in a few weeks - trying to keep the loadout as light as possible - test fitting looks like i'll get everything in my bags with some room to spare, no strapping crap all over this time.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I’ve never moto-camped , but like to try and go for one night during my vacation to get an idea of what it’s all about, as well as have some much need quiet alone time. I’m considering going to Pocahontas Co , WV (a little over 3 hours from home) to ride some scenic roads
I can use any advice or tips on planning this. Having never done this , nor having a mentor, my confidence is low , but I sure would like to be able to do this.

Would it be better to arrange a campsite in advance , or just play it by ear ? I want seclusion more than a bustling campground.

tia

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 3, 2021

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Dr.Caligari posted:

I’ve never moto-camped , but like to try and go for one night during my vacation to get an idea of what it’s all about, as well as have some much need quiet alone time. I’m considering going to Pocahontas Co , WV (a little over 3 hours from home) to [url=https://www.pocahontascountywv.com/Files/FInalMotorcycle2010.pdf]ride some scenic roads[url] .

I can use any advice or tips on planning this. Having never done this , nor having a mentor, my confidence is low , but I sure would like to be able to do this.

Would it be better to arrange a campsite in advance , or just play it by ear ? I want seclusion more than a bustling campground.

tia

I like how it mentions snaking through twisties and an endless path of curves then shows a bunch of Harleys and one fake helmet. Not really the bike I'd take, but alright.

I'm not the authority on moto camping but the general consensus I get is to take what you think you'll need so that you can realize how much of that is unnecessary. I'm the kind of person that would book a spot in advance so that I have some assurance there's an end destination in sight, but if you'd rather play it by ear you'll probably be alright. I've seen people that just prop a tarp up to their bike and sleep under that. Some people need an entire 40' RV to camp. Somewhere between those two is probably best.

For a 3 hour ride and one night you'll probably be fine without a significant amount of planning. Just take some stuff with you that you assume you'll need, and when in doubt just follow some of the earlier posts in the thread on what to bring.

I'd love to do something similar to this but I think the closest I'd find something similar is northern Vermont, which is like 5+ hours from me.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Strife posted:

I like how it mentions snaking through twisties and an endless path of curves then shows a bunch of Harleys and one fake helmet. Not really the bike I'd take, but alright.

Excuse me there is clearly an NT650 at the end.

With regards to arranging a site in advance, that's what I would do, unless you know your state reserves a few walk-up camp sites each night.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I try and go as minimal as possible - but make sure you have plenty of lighters/matches and actual firestarter (chunk of duraflame, dry kindling/dryer lint in a plastic bag etc), camelbak full of water, light solo tent - i think I got one from walmart for like $50 and it was fine.

For food I bring a bio lite camp stove and some small camping pots, and just get meat or whatever - but if you can get MRE's thats the easiest.

Kindle or books are great on solo trips for a digital detox. I hate big camp sites and usually just go in to the woods somewhere, but having a spot picked out, especially on a bigger trip is great for peace of mind.

I also like to scope out a nearby store and then set up camp, unpack the bike, and head quickly in to town and load up on dry firewood/food/water, but this can be a bit risky in a higher population area since you dont want your poo poo to get jacked.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Dr.Caligari posted:

I’ve never moto-camped , but like to try and go for one night during my vacation to get an idea of what it’s all about, as well as have some much need quiet alone time. I’m considering going to Pocahontas Co , WV (a little over 3 hours from home) to ride some scenic roads

tia

my recommendation is to spend like a day scouting poo poo online. it's busy season rn since it is no longer a billion degrees out. if you can find what is termed dispersed campsites, those are usually best imho as you do not have anyone around most times. a decent site for finding poo poo like that is freecampsites. making loose plans that you can change on the fly is what I personally prefer. you can (almost) always find a hotel if you really need one

here's my MABDR map (has a bit of WVA on it). I (virtually) scouted all those sites and they looked decent. if you have questions about any of them specifically, lmk and I'd happily talk your ear off about it, but that map and the website should hopefully point you in the right direction!

for packing:

pack light. couple changes of underclothes (socks especially) and skip bringing several shirts / pants. wear riding gear you're more or less comfortable in sitting around a fire in. also, hammock camp! nothing packs smaller than a hammock and a light bag since its nice out rn, but single person tents are cheap if you don;t like hammock camping (I do both but prefer hammock camping unless its under 20 lol). you can always pick up food / water / gas, so don't overpack that crap. bring enough water for a day unless you're really out in the wilderness. dehydrated food rules. you can get mountain house (made in OR!) off REI / amazon for like $6-$10 for a meal that will absolutely fill you up and not taste like poo poo (best meals are chicken and dumplings, biscuits and gravy, and chicken fajitas in that order)

anyways that's a big rear end wall of text lol I love motocamping, enjoy and take tons of pics dude!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Thank you all, that’s great info. I think a dispersed campground would fit just what I had in mind. I’ve found a few in the area I’m looking and hopefully being in the middle of the week I won’t have trouble finding a spot.

I’m still looking at tents , but I think I’m just going to pick up a cheapie since this is my first real outing. I do like the idea of hammock camping.

I’m getting ahead of myself, but I would eventually like to explore some of the US I haven’t seen. The Plains, New England states.

I’m pretty excited. It seems like it’s all coming together , even though I’m not sure exactly which day I’m setting out yet. I’ll decide this weekend after consulting the weather forecast

What kind of bedding do you take / recommend ? Sleeping bag only ?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

nice! no judgment I sleep in a chinese hammock and tent camp in a 1p $100 tent. really what you’re looking for is something compact. weight doesn’t matter so much, so I always roll (heh) with a mummy bag. 20° synthetic bag for three seasons, and a 0° down for winters when I am stupid and still hammock camp. again, size is key so if it’s gonna be warm just pack a blanket, camping pillow, and air pad. they have insanely small cheap rolls these days that blow up in like 10 breaths and make tent camping lovely

but yeah, sleeping bag only for hammock camping since you don’t need a pillow or pad for that. for rent camping I’d say bag and pad minimum, and a camping pillow if you want to not be miserable. remember those degree ratings on the bags are just what it’ll keep you alive at, not comfortable at. I did sleep in my 0° bag in the high teens in a hammock. that wasn’t terrible but it also wasn’t that great lol

enjoy dude, planning is half the fun. you’ll figure it out there’s not much to gently caress up, just try not to overpack cause that makes the trip miserable when you have to rifle through poo poo. you’re on a bike, not backpacking so you always have the option to buy stuff on the trip

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, if you're tenting it an air pad is a lifesaver. I tend to end up on gravel pads a lot and there's always bigger rocks that would be digging into me except for the pad. For a pillow I just use a drybag with tomorrow's clothes in it.

Also, if you're in a tent, I recommend having a tarp or other groundcloth to go under it to protect your tent/add a little padding. Fold the edges of the tarp so that they're smaller than the edges of the tent, that way condensation on the outside drips off the sides of the tent and onto the ground rather than collecting between the tent and tarp. My tent is pretty good otherwise so I don't put a second tarp over top of it, the rain fly works just fine.

One of these days I'll get to try a hammock out.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Phy posted:

Yeah, if you're tenting it an air pad is a lifesaver. I tend to end up on gravel pads a lot and there's always bigger rocks that would be digging into me except for the pad. For a pillow I just use a drybag with tomorrow's clothes in it.

Also, if you're in a tent, I recommend having a tarp or other groundcloth to go under it to protect your tent/add a little padding. Fold the edges of the tarp so that they're smaller than the edges of the tent, that way condensation on the outside drips off the sides of the tent and onto the ground rather than collecting between the tent and tarp. My tent is pretty good otherwise so I don't put a second tarp over top of it, the rain fly works just fine.

One of these days I'll get to try a hammock out.

ooo yeah always forget to mention a footpad / tarp. most tents you buy these days have matched ones available for purchase, so definitely get one if you're buying a new tent

also yeah lol I tent camped for the first 25yr of my life and only just switched to hammock camping in the last couple years after thinking people who did it were weirdos. it's fantastic. you get it strung up just right and it'll make going back to tent camping a very difficult decision. I only tent camp now if it's under 20 or so just cause having the insulation of the tent AND the ground is a gamechanger

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

right arm posted:

ooo yeah always forget to mention a footpad / tarp. most tents you buy these days have matched ones available for purchase, so definitely get one if you're buying a new tent

also yeah lol I tent camped for the first 25yr of my life and only just switched to hammock camping in the last couple years after thinking people who did it were weirdos. it's fantastic. you get it strung up just right and it'll make going back to tent camping a very difficult decision. I only tent camp now if it's under 20 or so just cause having the insulation of the tent AND the ground is a gamechanger

Don't you get absolutely feasted on by bugs though?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Strife posted:

Don't you get absolutely feasted on by bugs though?

Lol I had a tick drop into my hammock before I zipped it up and found it on my shoulder blade the next day. nasty fuckers

but nah, it’s got netting so no problems with bugs you wouldn’t also have in a tent. nice thing too is you can just flip it over if there aren’t mosquitos and sleep in it like a backyard hammock

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's thick enough material in the hammock itself they can't suck you dry through it? (lmao)

I really want one of those Amoks but it's ~$600 all in - wish I could test one.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the bug net for my hammock is pretty comfortably spaced since it's on a rigid line that spans the length of the hammock, never had an issue with bugs. mine was pretty cheap for high quality hand made stuff too, check these guys out: https://dutchwaregear.com/

years ago when i bought they had custom options, im sure they still do it. let you select the material, # of layers and any add ons. mine is a double layer nylon 11 footer with ridgeline. nice thing about it is the layers are sewn together except for a slot where you can insert your insulation pad which keeps it fixed in place.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

the bug net for my hammock is pretty comfortably spaced since it's on a rigid line that spans the length of the hammock, never had an issue with bugs. mine was pretty cheap for high quality hand made stuff too, check these guys out: https://dutchwaregear.com/

ya this. mine has a couple guy lines you string to the tree and you’re golden. I always bring a sleeping bag so idk if they’d get ya through the bottom or not, but mosquitos love me so it would not surprise me lol

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Outside of the usual camp cleanliness, should bears be a consideration for central/Eastern WV? Should I have bear spray ?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I never packed any. just be smart and hang your poo poo. black bears are weenies so yeah you’ll be fine. saw a few at an AT river crossing I camped and made a fire at, but they never bugged me even though I’m sure I looked like a tasty sausage in my hammock

that being said if you’ve got room it’s not stupid to bring it, but you could also probably just fire your bike up at camp to scare them off

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Bear spray also works on rednecks, why not have it, it's easy to pack

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

So this was quite the learning experience . The riding was great and I took in some great sites, but the real value in ways I know to improve next time.

I sent out with several campsites pinned on my map and ended up at Pleasant Creek WMA. It was a very nice, secluded area. There was one on the far end , but other than that I saw no one else

In the morning I set out to ride the loop that took me Elkins to Petersburg to Bartow and back to Elkins making it a 112 mile ride. The high light of this loop had to be Seneca Rocks and the windy mountain roads and scenic stop offs. The weather was just right and riding was a great time.

I over prepared in some ways , and underprepared in others. Two things for sure is that I’m packing less next time, especially if items are available locally as they were in this case. The other to give myself more time. I thought I had given myself enough time for it to be a leisurely pace, but with breaks for rest and other things I felt rushed.

Even though I thought I packed relatively light, I quickly discovered tying everything to the backrest made the bike feel less stable. I ended up wearing the backpack for a good part of the time and that’s something I’m going to try to avoid next time.

Overall, I’m really looking forward to riding more WV scenic routes. There are some great views and the little towns and their people are pretty interesting.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

good job dude! proud of ya!

camping rules, and no shame in wearing a backpack. I usually keep my beer / water / DSLR in mine since those are what I like to have easily accessible on the trail :D

you’ll figure out the best way to pack as you do it more. sounds like an awesome trip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Strife posted:

I'm not the authority on moto camping but the general consensus I get is to take what you think you'll need so that you can realize how much of that is unnecessary. I'm the kind of person that would book a spot in advance so that I have some assurance there's an end destination in sight, but if you'd rather play it by ear you'll probably be alright. I've seen people that just prop a tarp up to their bike and sleep under that. Some people need an entire 40' RV to camp. Somewhere between those two is probably best.

For a 3 hour ride and one night you'll probably be fine without a significant amount of planning. Just take some stuff with you that you assume you'll need, and when in doubt just follow some of the earlier posts in the thread on what to bring.

I'd love to do something similar to this but I think the closest I'd find something similar is northern Vermont, which is like 5+ hours from me.

Strife are you in NYC? I'm trying to think what's 5+ hours from northern VT, and what's good motocamping closer than that.