Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you finally win this league this year?
This poll is closed.
Yes, but I've already won it before so :smug: 5 33.33%
Yes, this is my year of destiny. 2 13.33%
No, I plan on losing horribly and making terrible choices as usual. 6 40.00%
There will be no NFL this year so this is all pointless. 2 13.33%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

I host a local league and had everyone chip in $5 one year so we could get a yearly award, I ended up picking a nice plaque from https://www.perpetualplaques.com/index.cfm?category=8. Getting new plates every year is pretty cheap. Most of them wouldn't cost much to ship either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

For quite some time I thought about buying a trophy to mail out to the winner each year. I even priced an 'annual' trophy with places to put name plates every year for each winner. I determined that it was expensive, I am lazy and lets be honest one of you fuckers would refuse to concede and keep the trophy instead of passing it on.

But mostly I was lazy :haw:

I did that with one of my leagues and we sent the trophy back and forth. When it folded after 5 years, I was the last winner so it worked out nicely.

Now in my best ball league I just find a $5-10 championship ring on Alibaba or eBay and give the winner that. Those things are nice and hefty.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

SB are you gonna run a waitlist? I ask because Discount Double Champ wants to return after a brief hiatus if anyone drops out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

ASAPRockySituation posted:

SB are you gonna run a waitlist? I ask because Discount Double Champ wants to return after a brief hiatus if anyone drops out.

Sure, you're #1 for next year, it's been added to the OP. I'll probably start the new thread around July or so.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
since we're four seconds into the news on this it's high time to preemptively ask...

what do you think we'll do with the new 17 game schedule? Add a game for everyone? Leave it the same? If we add a game, who will it be against? (team in other division in same conference? team in other conference? third game against a divisional opponent?)

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
doublepost sorry and all that...

but, using the scheduling system we appear to use... using the settings from last season as posted in our forum... the setting listed below seems to make the six teams be four from the "other division in same conference" and two from the other conferences (one from each division)...

The only difference would be that it appends one more "other division in same conference" game on to the schedule... so we'd play almost every team from the other conference in division each season (except for one)...

--------

Choose 20 4 Y Each team plays divisional opponents twice and six other teams once.

--------

Just to save a little bit of work here for Burrito, if that's the way we want to do it. The scheduler doesn't specify "Four from other division in conference and two from other conference -- one from each division"... but that's what it's doing.

EconDad fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 29, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly, it's still too early to tell. At the moment, I'm just inclined to wait and see how it all shakes out, at least for this season.

If we did end up adding another week eventually, I'd see what the schedule options would be on that website and we'd go from there.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I anticipate by week 17 enough teams will still be locked into a seed to make fantasy playoffs a crap shoot, even with an additional game after it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I was going to save this as a surprise for the Season 13 thread, but what the hell, let's get it started early. I've always thought it would be kind of cool to have something for our champions of this league. Well, we have the rings in the OP, but now we have our own official 20 Team Fantasy League championship gang tag!

So, if you've won the championship in a previous year and you want this gangtag, just let me know. Congratulations! :)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

I was going to save this as a surprise for the Season 13 thread, but what the hell, let's get it started early. I've always thought it would be kind of cool to have something for our champions of this league. Well, we have the rings in the OP, but now we have our own official 20 Team Fantasy League championship gang tag!

So, if you've won the championship in a previous year and you want this gangtag, just let me know. Congratulations! :)

Let me get one. :smug:

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah I'd like one :)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silly Burrito posted:

Yo!

Just got the frame for my commemorative plaque in the mail too!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Yo!

Just got the frame for my commemorative plaque in the mail too!

I trust the commemorative gift basket was to your liking as well?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is there any reward for never winning solely due to making terrible lineup decisions in the playoffs? I am sure there was a good reason to play Chris Givens over Antonio Brown, but right now it does not sound like the best decision when it comes to the name recognition battle. Maybe a Keno like award where if you go 20 years without winning you get something, 60% of the way there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Is there any reward for never winning solely due to making terrible lineup decisions in the playoffs? I am sure there was a good reason to play Chris Givens over Antonio Brown, but right now it does not sound like the best decision when it comes to the name recognition battle. Maybe a Keno like award where if you go 20 years without winning you get something, 60% of the way there.

Sorry, best I can do is a by your name in the OP if you want it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silly Burrito posted:

I trust the commemorative gift basket was to your liking as well?

Yeah but about the championship ring, is it really necessary to send it with the previous winner's finger still attached?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah but about the championship ring, is it really necessary to send it with the previous winner's finger still attached?

What do you think happens to you next year

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Silly Burrito posted:

I'll take one, the limit is 2 right?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

I'll take one, the limit is 2 right?

I believe so, I'm still learning about this too :). But you're queued up along with Quiet Feet!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Sorry, best I can do is a by your name in the OP if you want it.

Nah, I am ok. Just pointing out my lack of fantasy football skill.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Nah, I am ok. Just pointing out my lack of fantasy football skill.

While I doubt that (you're pretty drat skilled), perhaps this season you try the George Costanza approach to your lineup and see how it works.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

I did a win this one time. Crown me :D

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

I did a win this one time. Crown me :D

Sure thing, when I get home I'll queue you up.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Sure thing, when I get home I'll queue you up.

Yay

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

EconDad posted:

since we're four seconds into the news on this it's high time to preemptively ask...

what do you think we'll do with the new 17 game schedule? Add a game for everyone? Leave it the same? If we add a game, who will it be against? (team in other division in same conference? team in other conference? third game against a divisional opponent?)

One thing I just realized with the new schedule coming out is that week 14 now has byes. So if we did stick to our schedule as before, that means that you wouldn't have players available from Indianapolis, Miami, New England, or Philadelphia in the first round of the playoffs. That could potentially screw a lot of people.

So now I'm inclined to move it back so that weeks 15-17 are the playoffs. From what I see with the schedule maker, that would mean each team plays divisional opponents twice and six other teams once. That's the only schedule currently that allows a regular season into week 14. I'm sure this means there will be some imbalance in conference schedules and playoff calculations may be a bit wonkier. But unless we allow week 14 to remain as the first playoff week, that's how it may have to be.

So what say you all? Keep the schedule as is and have those byes on the first playoff week, or push everything back one week and make the season one game longer and the playoffs go to 15-17?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Silly Burrito posted:

One thing I just realized with the new schedule coming out is that week 14 now has byes. So if we did stick to our schedule as before, that means that you wouldn't have players available from Indianapolis, Miami, New England, or Philadelphia in the first round of the playoffs. That could potentially screw a lot of people.

So now I'm inclined to move it back so that weeks 15-17 are the playoffs. From what I see with the schedule maker, that would mean each team plays divisional opponents twice and six other teams once. That's the only schedule currently that allows a regular season into week 14. I'm sure this means there will be some imbalance in conference schedules and playoff calculations may be a bit wonkier. But unless we allow week 14 to remain as the first playoff week, that's how it may have to be.

So what say you all? Keep the schedule as is and have those byes on the first playoff week, or push everything back one week and make the season one game longer and the playoffs go to 15-17?

We got to move it. There can be no byes in the playoffs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

jabro posted:

We got to move it. There can be no byes in the playoffs.

I agree. I just looked at ESPN and it seems they've already made this change without me doing anything, but I wanted everyone to know about it.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Silly Burrito posted:

I agree. I just looked at ESPN and it seems they've already made this change without me doing anything, but I wanted everyone to know about it.

Seems like that schedule option that you’ve mentioned tends to always pick two from the other conference. And four from the other division within the same conference. So... the only change from before tends to be one added other game with another team from the other division within your same conference — and that new game seems to be appended onto the end of the schedule as the week 14 game.

Keeps the same conference matchups heavy and the non conference matchups light (two total per year). Similar to NFL still so that’s good.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

EconDad posted:

Seems like that schedule option that you’ve mentioned tends to always pick two from the other conference. And four from the other division within the same conference. So... the only change from before tends to be one added other game with another team from the other division within your same conference — and that new game seems to be appended onto the end of the schedule as the week 14 game.

Keeps the same conference matchups heavy and the non conference matchups light (two total per year). Similar to NFL still so that’s good.

Yeah I reread your earlier post and checked it out. I may potentially swap one of the weeks with week 14 to have divisional matchups (as best as possible) in the final regular season week. We'll see, but if that does hold, then I definitely want to rotate teams in the schedule maker every year because (as you noted), we'd be going from three OOC games to two, so I'd want to at least keep some new team combinations.

Just think, we'll be doing this again when they go to 18 games.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah I reread your earlier post and checked it out. I may potentially swap one of the weeks with week 14 to have divisional matchups (as best as possible) in the final regular season week. We'll see, but if that does hold, then I definitely want to rotate teams in the schedule maker every year because (as you noted), we'd be going from three OOC games to two, so I'd want to at least keep some new team combinations.

Just think, we'll be doing this again when they go to 18 games.

I probably didn’t convey the change properly. I think we stay at two OOC games. We are just adding one more non-division conference game. So you and I will play four Romo teams instead of three, for example.

If you rotate as you’ve been doing in your post at the beginning of this thread, I think it’ll rotate through each “pair” of OOC games. I played Washingtons and Placeholder last year, and given your method won’t play them again until I rotate through every other “pair”. I think given your methodology I have Taco Tuesday and Epstein’s this coming year.

So, in short. Your method of rotating is good. It moves the OOC games around nicely and allows for every possible meeting eventually over a five year period.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

I recommend taking the course of action that causes the least number of headaches for scheduling. No need to make it harder on yourself :haw:

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

*whispers* ......Tebow Time

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Can you wipe out my WRONG POSTER one and replace it with that?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Can you wipe out my WRONG POSTER one and replace it with that?

Sure, I've put it in the queue for you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Thanks SB!!

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Whoa, when the gently caress did you become a mod? (and oh god why? :haw: )

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

darkwolf220 posted:

It was about a couple of months ago, and obviously for all the fame, glory, and 1/2 price sandwiches at Arby's. ;)

Seriously though, they just asked, and I figured I'd try and help if I could. I never really thought about being one before, so it's just a learning curve. Kinda like being the commish of this league! :)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Silly Burrito posted:

It was about a couple of months ago, and obviously for all the fame, glory, and 1/2 price sandwiches at Arby's. ;)

Seriously though, they just asked, and I figured I'd try and help if I could. I never really thought about being one before, so it's just a learning curve. Kinda like being the commish of this league! :)

Just remember where your loyalties lie 🤪

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

jabro posted:

Just remember where your loyalties lie 🤪

Montana 4 lyfe!

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

darkwolf220 posted:

silly moderito

*is permabanned immediately*