Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Real talk Dunlop purofort (purafort?) are the best wellies I've ever had. I'm on my third pair now, my first lasted 2 years of 50+ hours a week, 54 weeks a year hard wear, my second that I just replaced only did 15 months but they only died because apparently I kicked something sharp and it put a needle hole in the toe of the right boot. Doesn't really leak but over hours you end up with a damp foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I have the cheaper of the insulated ones, yeah. They usually seem to cost £40 to £50. I don’t do f but I’ve worn them in reasonable comfort in -25 or so c with just double socks.

I’ve also worn them in +35 and I wouldn’t call them comfortable at that but they are certainly no worse than any other safety boot would be, the insoles they come with are very good, although I tend to wear through them on the heel after 6 months or so, but I do 10x15km a day in them so I can’t really complain about that.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Sprue posted:

Well you just about sold me on them. What are you doing that involves walking 15km every day? That's crazy, you must be doing survey work or something, or maybe post?

Just walking round in circles on a 400ha farm :v:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Getting square bails in sucks dick but once they are in they are much better for small herds and or horses.

We use round bales here because there’s no practical way to round up enough labour to get in whatever the square equivalent of 300 2m bales is, but god drat does it suck rear end the rest of the year pulling them apart again to stuff into hay nets for the horses.

I also really hate bale wrap, the amount of single use plastic that generates is just depressing, especially when it rains and we have to do haylage. We made 120 bales of haylage this year and I hate it :(

Really looking forward to having a herd of cattle large enough it makes sense to build a silage clamp and be done with this poo poo.

I saw a few years back a few dudes at university college London I think it was came up with a supposedly biodegradable bale wrap and won a grant to start production but it never seems to have manifested very sadly.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
In my experience Jerseys on small farms will adopt absolutely anything from as many calf’s as she can count to a foal to probably a puppy if you let her.

P.S. ask me about cross suckling issues :v:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

French Canadian posted:

Thanks. Re: the water, I meant more than farming causes the water to get hosed up. I'm not so worried about using said water and we'd probably not farm in our current state of Wisconsin (as we'll be moving soon). But I'm just curious about how to avoid doing similar damage myself, to the water table, etc.

And why do I have to buy soil? It doesn't replenish on its own if I do things properly? I realize cash crops gently caress up the soil and pull nutrients and that's why you can to inject fertilizer. But for sustainable farming, I have to still buy new soil and mix in perpetually?

Regenerative agriculture is most definitely a thing. I'm in Europe so I can't directly tell you who to look at in the US if you are interested but I know there are people doing impressive things.

The work of Alan Savory was what got me interested in the approach. After experimenting myself I don't necessarily agree with everything they say but it's a good point to start. So yes there absolutely is a viable alternative to hi input hi output "modern" agriculture.

https://savory.global/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Put my girls into summer pastures today. We've had a poo poo spring though so they still need a little extra.