Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sprue what is your opinion on flame weeding

I spent a good deal of my summers from ages 8 to 16 walking beans.

You had my attention at flame.

All I grow now is weed so I'm not looking to use herbicides on my closet crop, but I do like fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

French Canadian posted:

My wife and are are the typical couple who have good luck gardening and immediately think farming for ourselves would be a good idea

We also listened to some of One Straw Revolution and therefore are even more self confident.

I need a slap in the face I think...

Also all of Wisconsin's well water is contaminated because of farming and manure spreading and dairy. Can I farm without loving up the land?

You can buy a bunch of prepared soil, then recycle it after mixing in compost and letting it stew for a while. You'll always be buying dirt though, if only to keep up with constant expansion. Then you can get an reverse osmosis filtration system for the water, remove all sorts of dissolved solids, and go about adding your own nutrients. If you're going that route, coco coir hydroponics or even deep water culture would be more prudent, but require much more attention than throwing a seed in some dirt and just watering daily.

By prepared soil I mean poo poo like Fox Farms soil, that runs about $35 for 1.5 cu feet, which is enough for two 5 gallon pots. If you'd like to know more, see the growing cannabis made fun and easy thread in TCC. The techniques are exactly the same as growing weed, nutrient ratios are pretty similar but everyone has their own experiments going. There's always going to be pollution after the fact, but you can compost a lot of plant matter and minimize impact in other ways, especially with water because RO filters are anything but cheap.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You don't have to truck in top soil or buy pallets of bagged stuff, soil restores with time, but it largely depends on how long it's left to lie dormant, what kind of restoration work you do, or what most people do, rotate crops. You would still be supplementing soil with fertilizers if you were going to cash crops. Then you have pesticides, herbicides, all that jazz if you want to work any substantial land. Also tilling, discing, plowing top soil.

Going with bagged soil would be more along the lines of small gardening, greenhouse, learning ropes because it's easier to have success with on a smaller scale. Pests and plant diseases are easier to manage on a small scale too, and less likely in a greenhouse environment.

You could always get large plots in a dry area with high water plates and run circular driven irrigation around a well, but that'd be more damage than small scale. Start small and work to grow.

My grandparents worked corn and soybean rotations, but still dumped tons of anhydrous ammonia in the fields every year, still sprayed round up, and we'd torch the stalks every year until the mid-2000s. They had about 800 acres and it was a chore every year. Starting small will be less likely to burn you out, because everyone was fed up by mid-october every harvest.