Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I do the production and tree care (and a lot of the maintenance and grounds care and sales and...) on a 130 acre nursery in New Jersey.

I haven't looked into anything state specific but the federal CFAP stuff is dogshit for us. they only recently even allowed nurseries (and floriculture growers) to be eligible, but due to the eligibility reqs we wouldn't really get anything anyway, and even if our losses were eligible it's only something like 13 percent of wholesale value.

It's not really that surprising - I can't imagine anyone really being shocked all of the money is going to corn, dairy, and soy. Just need to hunker down and hope next year is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
final price point is out of the hands of any grower who isn't selling direct to consumer, no? that's not really just a dairy concern.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
we just finished digging all our trees for the year. i only cursed at our tree spade like twenty times!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this might be a bit of a longshot, but does anyone know of any seed drills with a working width between like 10-11.5 feet in america? most anything i can find is in europe.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i managed to find a great plains drill at a neighbor's auction, actually, thanks for the recs

are there any silage guys in here? have a few q's

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
any idea about what tonnage you can expect from ~100 acres of corn?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
basic gist is that the silage guy behind me has had some fallow ground around 100~ acres he wants me to do some work on for him over the winter but (i'm guessing) doesn't have the cash right now. wants me to accept a percentage of his yield as pay - obviously i know poo poo happens so it's less about making sure i get my money and more about making sure I'm agreeing to something that's fair on paper. if he gets 5t/a that doesn't even pay for me to get my dozer there or to run it, but 20+ would actually put me on the 'you're robbing this guy' side of the deal

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm in south jersey, so while it's not great corn country i have to imagine it's better than vermont, esp given recent trends. it was 70 degrees today and hasn't been below freezing yet

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 8, 2020

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
actually looks like 2019 average in NJ was 22 tons/acre. jesus maybe I'm in the wrong line of work

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone have a good way to figure out where the gently caress im losing water because im gonna be blue for weeks at this rate

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 1, 2020

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
sort of, i must have a few main leaks somewhere that i can't find via surface water.

i'm also trying to figure out where exactly all my loving tile drains empty into, and so far I've only found one that actually empties into my creek. the rest just seem to be putting the water ??? somewhere?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's what I'm doing, hence me being blue. was just hoping there was a way that didn't involve my hands being blue for days :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
bit of a strange question - what is the cheapest thing i could possibly plant that would eventually get tall enough that i could bale a cutting? right now on my farm i have red clover and some bum landscape fescue mix in between my nursery stock, and i'd like to replace that with something i could eventually bale. this isn't for feed purposes (it's for erosion control/seed covering during landscaping work) so my 'needs' are pretty simple.