Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Cancer posted:

The worst kind of parasocial relationship addled people are band fans and sport fans.
I recently learned in The Book Barn's Transhumanist Rationality Cult Didactic Harry Potter Fanfic thread that K-Pop fanfiction is sandwiched between Potter and The Marvel Cinematic Universe as the number two largest subject by volume. I'm big into Gaga and she did a crossover on her latest album; the stuff I was being exposed to in the Youtube comments...

Part of what makes SomethingAwful historically unique in this subject is the fascination I feel towards the idea of spending a few hours diving down the rabbit hole of this K-Pop community and finally understanding the context for all the bits and bobs of culture that weren't quite for me - when I was in my vitality you only ever heard about the J. The idea of not only forming an internet community and developing PSRs like you're chilling with your buds and sometimes the goofy dad mods have to come in and tell you they can smell the pot out the front door, but further forming an internet community around observing other internet communities...

And then this idea you're doing all that in part to process your own relationship to internet communities, simultaneously posting on the same kinds of places and niches that we're almost foundationally dedicated to satirizing here. It fuels a fantastically intricate and predicate sense of humor about this cutting-edge, paradigmatically transformative aspect of the human experience that our older peers could not hope to relate to in their traditional forms of media already decades old. But obviously I don't need to write a book report on the Goonlulz thread to suggest there is a downside to having an outlet like that

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I do not believe in the whole alpha vs beta dichotomy, but I definitely remember there being a difference between the kids that agitated to get to play the nintendo and the kids who were content to sit and watch the nintendo be played. I find it very upsetting that there's an entire living to be made from the grown versions of the kids who want to see somebody play the nintendo and make friend sounds at them, and how they actually pay money for that experience.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
This is all also a linguistics-textbook example of Marxist reification, the symbol of the relation become literally the relation-in-itself. That we've reached such a gaudy and infinitely meta point as "expressly, overtly commodified girl/friend simulator reifies in your culturally infected monkey brain as an actual girl/friend" only proves why they call his works "the immortal science". But as we can see from the past month, the symbolic relation frequently used for ironic purposes to joke about the community's relationship with Lowtax (deadbeat forums dad) overrode the increasingly severe and frequent signs of our actual material relationship with Richard Kyanka (deadbeat dad who owns the forums)

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 18, 2020

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Daikloktos posted:

This is all also a linguistics-textbook example of Marxist reification, the symbol of the relation become the literally the relation-in-itself. That we've reached such a gaudy and infinitely meta point as "expressly, overtly commodified girl/friend simulator reifies in your culturally infected monkey brain as an actual girl/friend" only proves why they call his works "the immortal science". But as we can see from the past month, the symbolic relation frequently used for ironic purposes to joke about the community's relationship with Lowtax (deadbeat forums dad) overrode the increasingly severe and frequent signs of our actual material relationship with Richard Kyanka (deadbeat dad who owns the forums).

The penis is composed of materials.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The penis is composed of materials.
If you want to get me started on Freud catch me in the Frasier thread

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Have you ever had a Parasocial relationship with a something awful forums poster?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

only my posting enemies, who are numerous and know not of my ire

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Have you ever had a Parasocial relationship with a something awful forums poster?

my posting identity is distinct from my own personal experiences and sometimes i worry it will assert itself and destroy me.

apart from that i pretend Pick and i have a long running friendship but we keep it private and i see the little in-jokes they make in their posts that everyone else misses.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm too tired to properly articulate it but the way goons interact with Pick is a perfect example of a non-transactional parasocial relationship. I post here but I don't really socialize here and from that sort of outside perspective a lot of people post at her in a very familiar kind of way but that familiarity seems to be completely one sided.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Some posters' posts are very good and even if I don't interact with them ever I notice if they're posting, read the posts and care about what they think. Maybe that's parasocial.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm too tired to properly articulate it but the way goons interact with Pick is a perfect example of a non-transactional parasocial relationship.
Not for the landlord. As usual

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

I'm too tired to properly articulate it but the way goons interact with Pick is a perfect example of a non-transactional parasocial relationship. I post here but I don't really socialize here and from that sort of outside perspective a lot of people post at her in a very familiar kind of way but that familiarity seems to be completely one sided.

you're right, it's time to throw Pick in the TRASH!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Grevling posted:

Some posters' posts are very good and even if I don't interact with them ever I notice if they're posting, read the posts and care about what they think. Maybe that's parasocial.
Yes! Exactly. It's an example of the clinical denotative term. Every name I see in the threadkill index and avatar I catch out of the corner of my as I scroll fills me with warm nostalgia. This is something I've been thinking about a lot, actually, that there's no good solution to reaching out and showing that kind of ephemeral appreciation. The classic solution is to awkwardly force a continuing point or riff but that's white noise. You can try to word a PM but we have a culture here of finding that inherently weird (though if you try you'd be surprised who ends up hitting you back with a thanks, and how genuine people can be when they're not writing to a public medium). Modern forums often have reaction badges so you could collect six marching hogs two goatses and a "genuine" Koos Group icon for your cogent and funny post, if that's the direction Jeffrey wants to go. That I don't have to worry about the realistic version of that happening is why I can even have faith in his administration.

As a clinical denotative example it also illustrates how having what can be termed a "parasocial relationship" isn't a negative thing. I have that with each and every one of you, and I hope you have that with me, even if it's the secret sworn enemies kind. What is unhealthy, I don't want, and try to actively correct from my own praxis is thinking of fellow posters as my network of friends, peers, colleagues, political activists, academics, or even neighbors. That's where the unhealthy internet-facilitated level of "parasocial relationship" comes in. It's like how you should have a high opinion of yourself while keeping a good self-effacing humor about your limitations and flaws, but you don't want to be a narcissist self-diagnosing yourself with Aspergers. Don't smirk that I couldn't work in "Dunning-Krueger", it's there in the offing

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 18, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Of course there's also the Emptyquote, verboten in GBS last I checked but the lowest-tier way of showing respect in FYAD and its lites. Here are some good posts I enjoyed from posters of whom my depth of familiarity with their work and fond memories of posting past provided enriching context

Still Dismal posted:

I only think they're really harmful when it comes to politics. A lot of extremely online people end up conflating loyalty to one internet clique or another with politics more generally, and I think that's frequently not a good thing. Otherwise I don't really care, let people have their online pseudo-friends. Especially right now.

dracky posted:

I mean, listening to some streamers or podcasts can cheer me up when I'm home working by myself, just to have some voices in the background like turning on the radio for a dog so he's not lonely when you're gone
I'll pay them to get extra content or requests or whatever, but I've never given a streamer any notice-me money

skooma512 posted:

If I listen to the same podcast a lot I do feel like, more empathetic towards the speakers and the feeling is kind of similar to friendships.

It's probably just hearing a voice frequently. It never goes to a weird place or anything for me.

Helen Skelter posted:

I used to date a camgirl. Of course, she got lots of money from weird guys asking for weird things (a guy paid her $400 to buy a cake and step in it barefoot in the Wal-Mart) but more often her big fishes were guys that wanted really normal things. I remember a guy that would pay $150 for a 10 minute phone call, nothing sexual, and she'd talk to him at least a couple times a week. Another guy would pay $5 a text message to chat with her 1 on 1 , again, not sexual. The guy just wanted someone in his life to swoon over his music career.

I don't remember where I was going with this...

:350:

edit:
In before "how much did you pay her? :haw:"

I don't think parasocial relationships are unhealthy per se, but they definitely can go badly, e.g. people who spend way too much money on twitch streamers and also stalkers.

I guess it depends on what kind we're talking about. Someone on facebook or from SA or whatever that you talk to and maintain kind of a pen-pal relationship with are not inherently bad. Both parties get something out of it and it's a genuine interaction. I don't think it's a substitute for face to face relationships but it's not a bad thing.

On the other hand! I think the kind I'm mostly talking about in the OP, the transactional relationships people have with streamers or cam girls are inherently unhealthy and hosed up.
That's just page 1, no repeats, and not touching the jokes or else throw in the whole thread. I appreciate the time each of these guys put into adding their serious thoughts on a subject I take quite seriously indeed. Even it's just a post agreeing with a broad point or adding a general anecdote I appreciate that concrete symbol that somebody out there is experiencing all this like I am and is connecting to it in the same ways. Us both having that connection to these posts and posting is kind of like having a connection to each other, and so long as we keep things on that appropriate level of the connection we should feel towards all fellow travelers, I think it is a positive aspect of modern life.

However dialing back from the cosmos, you can see how unwieldy mass emptyquotes can be. One of the worst parts of the FYAD reading experience is seeing a massively funny post that even shifts the way I looked at the world a bit, and part of my initial reaction is to sigh and reflexively tense my scrolling finger for the wave of kudos. Like oh wow, somebody made a good post in FYAD, better hit like and subscribe so I don't miss such rare content. Next page, ugh.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 18, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why do you feel so strongly about this topic? Do you know someone in an unhealthy parasocial relationship?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was thinkin' about becoming one of those "reply guys" Twitter keeps talking about.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
lot of misunderstanding about parasociality itt. The defining feature of a parasocial relationship is unidirectional familiarity. The medium the relationship is experienced through isn’t a key feature, though obviously some mediums lend themselves to unidirectionality over other.

A parasocial relationship by radio broadcast is even more unidirectional than a twitch stream. The reason these are an issue now is that our circumstances of pervasive loneliness have made the quick fix of a parasocial YouTube conversation more emotionally necessary than it was back in the heyday of radio.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
is imagining sitting on a posters face and farting a parasocial relationship?

because if so then you're all in one with me.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Why do you feel so strongly about this topic? Do you know someone in an unhealthy parasocial relationship?
I had a performative breakdown of uncertainable irony in QCS about Lowtax forming a nega-SomethingAwful of banned and abandoned posters whose cultural rammifications would eclipse Kiwifarms and 8chan alike, mostly because I know and know of a lot of people with thoughts along those lines who could use seeing the reaction and ensuing levity to somebody speaking their "baseless, anxious, catastrophizing" thoughts about the stark situations and movements we're seeing out there on forums, rendered in dry hyperbole ofc.

Raenir Salazar tried something similiar, to greater constructive effect, when he jocularly proposed a more decentralized moderation solution

Raenir Salazar posted:

In QCS and elsewhere I've seen a number of threads and posts talking about accountability.

I think this is a bit of a funny concept to talk about, what is accountability?

How does one balance the needs of mods the ability to do their jobs, and being somewhat free to have some measure of privacy to confer amongst themselves, with the needs of the community to be reasonably informed about the decision making process of those decisions?

I don't personally have much stake in the game, this is mainly just my own idea that just popped into mind, I don't in particular think this suggestion is necessary but...

Maybe it could be fun or funny? In addition to maybe assuaging some concerns of some posters?

Here is my idea, there's a complicated version, and a simple version.

The simple version is having some small but not trivially so number of powers, elected in staggered terms. Lets say 12 posters. They get a subforum that's public, and a super secret subforum that's not public, the forums equivalent of a SCIF for anything sensitive that needs to be discussed.

This senate makes up its own rules as to what its order of the day and processes are, the important thing is the following:

-They but not the forums at large, either get access and can see the mod forum, or are to be given a "State of the Forums" by an appropriate Admin about things being discussed, and/or some sort of subpoena power where if a majority agrees that they wanna question Moderator/Admin XYZ, then Mod/Admin XYZ have to do a AMA in either the Senate forum or its SCIF (if sensitive content). And have to abide by and comply with orders to provide receipts relevant to the business of the day.

*The More Complicated version.

-Two Houses. 1 Senate, 1 House; the Senate is appointed or elected by Mods of respective subforums on staggered terms. DIY, Games, D&D, etc all get to send 2 Senators. The House is elected forum wide. Each Subforum maybe gets to determine how they pick Senators. This is to provide specific forum-contextual representation in addition to forums wide representation of the user base as a whole. Something like there's 2x, say 69 Represenatives more than the number of Senators, and enough senators for 2 per subforum (sub-subforums don't get representation, they are like territories).

Other than that everything is the same as above.

-Who would want to be a Rep/or Senator? Why would you do this?

Perhaps they could have perks. Such as a special gangtag or avatar to reflect their heightened status.

Other perks could be something like 1 get out of cat jail free card a month, free pm's, archives, and so on.

-Pros

The regular forum usership would have representation that have a higher degree of power to ask questions of the moderation team, and be able to see things "behind the scenes" to some degree.

Imagine just how fun it will be, for us, the common forums user, to see our duly elected forums reps devolve into the UK House of commons in slapfighting once they have the chance to, a new form of forums entertainment.

In addition that depending on how it is structured, could be a fun forums game underneath it.

-Cons

Probably a lot of work to set up. Coding and organizationally.

Probably a lot more forums acrimony. I.e imagine the reps from two different subforums at each others throats. This could be considered a pro, but also probably a con if we do expect this to be somehow constructive.

Could easily perhaps go from "being accountable" to "witchhunt but now with official powers" without a strong and motivated loyalist faction to play defence.

Another forum I've been to, Stardestroyer.net did something like this, and the forum's owner had to nuke it because of how dysfunctional it ended up being. So precedent would tilt this towards being possibly a bad idea, but on the other hand, are we not the greatest forums in the world that's ever been or ever will be? We could probably make it work.
Too self-consciously wacky and overlong, right? Well in true goon fashion we went on to have a serious discussion of the substance of his satire for four pages. After all, here's how moderator Fluffdaddy later had to end the latest flareup of adjucating acceptable forms of politics in the debate forum

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

So like do the mods want there to be a separate thread for the obviously bad MS-DOS probation rather than actually having the mod in question come answer for it in this one? That seems like kind of a waste of time for no real benefit but like we can make one if that's what is required.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Mods aren't required to come in here and answer for every sixer they give ok out. Qcs is not the demand to speak to the manager forum. If you have some feedback about a probe, reach out to the mod and the admins. If it is something more serious than a sixer make a specific thread about it. But again there is no requirement for the mod to come before the goon tribunal.
Marx said the thing about first as a tragedy, then as a farce. My experience with these forums and the advanced realms of farce we've blazed together is that actually the opposite is true. You see things posted and riffed on as jokes that a year or ten later are being seriously discussed. The classic example is the Niggerstomper58 post rack-focused to the inarguable axiom in some circles that ironypoisoning is fueling this new wave of global fascism. In this case exmarx rendered the perfect translation of a useful version of Raenir's larger suggestion And then the very next day you can see something thematically similiar in the pinned Goon UN thread here, which I assumed was inspired by that QCS op. In any event it provides what exmarx was suggesting such a stupid and tedious idea as a goon tribunal would accomplish for QCS - give posters something to keep them occupied and not engaging in negative behaviors.

Everybody in that seventy page thread roleplaying absurdist assuredly-not-racist UN representatives was laughing and making weird uncertainable political points instead of making a photoshop of a dead body on Mt. Everest. When they see the Goon UN gangtag floating around or one of their buds makes an oblique reference elsewhere to one of the thread memes that's a much more spiritually positive connection to have with a human being than admiring how many screens they've set up to watch the COVID body count roll in.

I love this community and I just loving love reading forums. When goons turn their energies in positive directions we create situations of impossibly intricate depth and delight of like you can find nowhere else. It's just too often we go astray and start thinking and doing asinine things. We can work on that one day at a time, as anything

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 18, 2020

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
Is this what the kids are calling "simping?"

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ez8 posted:

Is this what the kids are calling "simping?"
I don't have nearly enough youth clout for them to explain anything to me anymore

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Subscribe to my top Patreon tier and I'll let you drop me off and pick me up from the airport.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

During lockdowns I found this French situation comedy/drama “Call My Agent”(Dix pour cent)

I watched the whole series over the quarantine, one episode a day, and now that’s over I miss sitting down to watch it at night to watch the guys solve wacky situations

Grevling posted:

Some posters' posts are very good and even if I don't interact with them ever I notice if they're posting, read the posts and care about what they think.

Aww thanks!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I'm best friends with everybody itt :byob:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

At least with sgdq it's for a good cause, I guess.

Also I just giggled remembering that everytime a huge donation (like 10k or more) was announced the crowd would go understandably wild, except when that minecraft guy did. Just awkward silence with the anouncer going heh heh, yeah, thanks and quickly moving on.

Literally a billionaire and still hated by absolutely everybody, even the biggest nerds online, god that guy must be miserable.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am and have been involved in quite a few parasocial relationships, on and offline, and on both ends of the relationship. i dont think they are a replacement for actual, even, equal friendship or peership of course, but i also dont think they are "pathetic" or necessarily harmful (any kind of relationship can be harmful but that depends on the people involved), though i don't think it would be healthy at all if those were the only kinds of relationships in your life, or even the dominant kind. i also think they are almost an automatic feature of today's media landscape and even some workforces.its also arguably something engrained in many of our social structures. people have had parasocial relationships with political leaders and religious figures for pretty much all of history (im referring to human religious figures not deities)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 18, 2020

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
They're pretty cool.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Chewbecca posted:

I'm best friends with everybody itt :byob:

dear diary,

today I kissed someone on the mouth. It was hairier than I had imagined but even MORE passionate

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

You know now that I think about it does seem to be almost exclusively a male thing. I watched a couple of documentaries about it and they interviewed bunches of guys talking about their experiences with it but not a single woman. As the viewer I mean, obviously a ton of streamers are women and a lot of the parasocial relationships are standing in for a lack of romantic connection.

Women latch on on different thing like boy bands when they are young, writers, singers etc.

I don't know if it's cause by society standards, but when women's negative parasocial behavior is express it's as weird as men but much more indirect and stalkerish.

Kind like when a women ambushed Robert Pattinson and spray her own blood on him to much of his horror.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Parasocial relationships where you watch someone talk on youtube are one thing, giving them money and begging for shout outs are another.

That said dunno if even the second one is wrong really, it's not harming anyone. I've considered throwing some money to certain youtubers, but it was always when I was too drunk to successfully sign up to patreon.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

doverhog posted:

Parasocial relationships where you watch someone talk on youtube are one thing, giving them money and begging for shout outs are another.

That said dunno if even the second one is wrong really, it's not harming anyone. I've considered throwing some money to certain youtubers, but it was always when I was too drunk to successfully sign up to patreon.

I would disagree about the second part. I view it(at least the industry that has sprung up around it) as predatory and dysfunctional through and through. While of course there have always been obsessed fans who took it that step too far to where their imagined relationship with that celebrity filled in for a lack of real meaningful relationships in their lives they were always the outliers.
There haven't been multibillion dollar industries built around exploiting those people for profit until now. It's easy to feel when you donate to a streamer that it's a direct and personal interaction. It's easy because it's been very carefully and cynically designed to feel that way.
I don't think companies like Twitch created the social circumstances that lead to this epidemic of lonely, depressed, and isolated people seeking validation through paid online transactions but they sure as hell have an interest in maintaining them.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

yes, eric bauman has been my hero since i was 12 years old

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TheAardvark posted:

shawn and gus of psych are my friends and nothing you say will change that

Wizard Master posted:

Nick Stav and Adam are my friends
THIS

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

You can also pay people to play games with you these days, grandpa.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Armitag3 posted:

You can also pay people to play games with you these days, grandpa.

i'm certain this site used to be called e-gal and all the top 'e-gals' were cam models/onlyfans/patreon people.

what happens when someone innocently signs up? also why would someone looking for friends make their prospective friends pay them.

you know what i don't like this thing at all. :colbert:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I've been close to friends who were the subject of parasocial relationships and its... scary. Not for those who wanted to be friends with this popular person, but this popular person using the adoration and unbounded support of fans to twist them to do some...shady poo poo in the efforts to be recognized by them. Like legally shady poo poo. I think the entire thing is risky for both parties.. its really easy for either side to get the wrong feeling..and unchecked creates some weird poo poo.

Do you think these kind of relationships are growing because how they are consumed and the lack of distinct boundries set by those subject to it?

Like I think of a distinct example in Polygons youtube segment called Unraveled, where the host, Brian Gilbert, drastically changed their appearance (in an obviously fake way) from the last episode and said along the lines of "I know it would disappoint my friends if I were to change my appearance." Which then he reveals he removes the fake wig and mustache to reveal he actually did change his appearance and succinctly following up with "Just kidding! I am not your friend and you have no say over what I do with my body".

I would disagree about the second part. I view it(at least the industry that has sprung up around it) as predatory and dysfunctional through and through. While of course there have always been obsessed fans who took it that step too far to where their imagined relationship with that celebrity filled in for a lack of real meaningful relationships in their lives they were always the outliers.
There haven't been multibillion dollar industries built around exploiting those people for profit until now. It's easy to feel when you donate to a streamer that it's a direct and personal interaction. It's easy because it's been very carefully and cynically designed to feel that way.
I don't think companies like Twitch created the social circumstances that lead to this epidemic of lonely, depressed, and isolated people seeking validation through paid online transactions but they sure as hell have an interest in maintaining them.

I've noticed that in twitch with the hype train? Thing that they're using more and more often when people do large subs in a short period of time. But do you think they're planning to like double down and really try to wring the cash out this subset of users? I dont see where the end game would be.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've found the fundamental setup of parasocial relationships inherently unfulfilling to a degree where I'd rather do anything else than sit down and pretend I'm besties with Philosophy Tube or whatever.

But for some people, maybe they get enough out of it to keep going in an otherwise lonely life. I wouldn't fault anyone for engaging in it.

The only time I'm in it is when it's not one-sided and I'm actually engaging. I've been able to do that with a few people and i could see the appeal of like chasing that rush of being friends for a minute with your favorite entertainer.

As far as the other side of it, it feels kinda exploitative? Like it's fundamentally uneven and I feel like it's a product of exploiting faults in our brain chemistry in a way that makes me real uneasy~

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Riot Bimbo posted:

As far as the other side of it, it feels kinda exploitative? Like it's fundamentally uneven and I feel like it's a product of exploiting faults in our brain chemistry in a way that makes me real uneasy~

That's not just how you feel that's a dry and factual recounting of what's going on. I see it as being as scummy as the video game industry putting exploitative gambling mechanics in every game that comes out - it's also worth considering how inextricably tied these two industries are.
The thing is most states already have laws or regulations that can be brought to bear on predatory gambling in video games but how do authorities even begin to regulate against predatory friendship mechanics in streaming and online patronage?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It's something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Especially with the drama here and some peoples extreme reaction to the possibility of this place closing down. It's easy to brush off these sorts of relationships as pathetic and sad but clearly there's a massive demand for it. We're all so isolated and these parasitic companies like twitch are making billions off it.

Some goon went so far as to spend low six figures to keep this place alive, he also wrote some posts about how important these forums are to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Real Mean Queen posted:

I do not believe in the whole alpha vs beta dichotomy, but I definitely remember there being a difference between the kids that agitated to get to play the nintendo and the kids who were content to sit and watch the nintendo be played. I find it very upsetting that there's an entire living to be made from the grown versions of the kids who want to see somebody play the nintendo and make friend sounds at them, and how they actually pay money for that experience.

Nintendo games are for people stuck in their childhoods, maybe the kids that preferred watching were simply further along.

Strumpie posted:

apart from that i pretend Pick and i have a long running friendship but we keep it private and i see the little in-jokes they make in their posts that everyone else misses.

Yeah, Pick should be banned immediately for the good of the forums.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 19, 2020