Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

do any of you here actually live on their boat? if so how is it? living like that and just sort of cruising around the world is a dream i've always had although i'm not really currently in a position where i could seriously consider doing it

here in holland there have been a few notably young children sailing solo to america and i've always wondered how they manage that. is sailing something you can learn pretty quickly and then actually put into practice, like driving a car? or is it harder than that? in university i considered joining a sailing fraternity and ive always kind of regretted not doing it

You can learn to sail competently in a few days in good weather. In the US you have classes like ASA 101 (which I took a couple years back), and I presume there are European equivalent classes. It was pretty comprehensive and good, although the instructor was a dick. Best way is to find an experienced friend with a boat cause all it will cost you is a few beers, though.

Sailing across the open ocean is fine and people do it all the time, but I think it's kinda like the difference between driving to work and doing a cross-country road trip. There's a lot more planning and stress and legal stuff to consider. Being alone a thousand miles away from anyone and sailing through a storm is beyond my abilities, and I plan to take the higher level classes or find someone trustworthy to learn. As for living on the boat, I'd like to know more too since that's kind of a necessity for a long trip. Someone posted a blog of his on the other boat thread a while back which is informative, and there's no shortage of youtube videos on the topic, but it's nice to hear additional opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU