Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
This is Twinklamee, an Orkney built larch on oak 24'6" gunter rig cabin cruiser that my father swapped for a rover sports car he won in a raffle nearly 20 years ago, and which took us 10 years or so of sporadic work to restore after she had been rotting in a marina park with no cover for nearly 15 years.

She still leaks like a sieve when we put her in for the season, which was extremely alarming the first time, but she takes up within a day and then she is remarkably dry.

My father insists on referring to her as Twink, and no one really has the heart to explain to him what most people must think when he tells them about his boat called Twink.

2 years ago we took her on our first real cruise to St Kilda (absolutely fascinating place, well worth the effort to get to if you ever have an opportunity).

It was the first time any of us had really been sailing, we went in late June just a few days after the solstice and sailing along in the middle of the "night" handling the boat by myself while my father and uncle slept was extremely awesome and, I don't know, solemn somehow? Of course there is no night really, I took this picture at about 3:30 am I think.

With the kind of hazy lighting, being by myself with no reference point but a compass and the dolphins alongside, with only the sail up I could hear their squeaking with the hull acting like an amplifier, and even the swishing of their tails in the water made for a sense of complete unreality. I will definitely remember those hours for the rest of my life

We saw a lot of dolphins on that trip, I only had a mobile but still got some pretty ok pictures I think.

Forgive the thumb, I was excited :shobon:

We also saw this extremely gorgeous lady at Loch Boisdale, and felt very inferior.

Although I did notice she was starting to go around the gunnels, the amount of work and or money it takes to maintain wooden boats is insane even by boat standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

monsterzero posted:

I can only imagine how much work it is to keep a wooden boat up. I've got about 15-linear feat of varnish and I'm failing.

Got any pictures of Twink under sail?

Sadly no, at the time I didn't have a drone, and this year I've been too busy working for us to get her in the water.