Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Things like this make me want to make really stupid decisions: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/richmond-26-nordic-folkboat/7250494554.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

There are worse decisions you could make

The marina just north of there is called brickyard cove, it's both pretty nice and has really cheap rates, plus you don't have to motor for 15 minutes in and out of the channel to go sailing

Should be a snap to get out and sail a lap around red rock island. It's a wooden boat so you can repair anything yourself with hand tools, some cotton and a can of paint

Also, as mentioned before, it's less than 27' so all the replacement parts are going to be very affordable, and if you get hit in the head with the boom or the wind picks up, you'll be able to handle things better

Of course all this advice goes out the window if you decide to pay others to maintain your boat for you, and/or the owner is lying and the hull is significant rotten

Well, the reason it would be a pretty iffy decision is that I don't know how to sail. At all. I do have a friend over in Livermore who knows how, and I've been thinking of taking lessons over at the Berkeley club, but right now I'm clueless and it's a weird time to start learning.

What's the marina situation over on the peninsula? I'm in South SF, and if I do eventually get a boat I'd like to keep it on this side of the bay.

Edit: the most shameful admission snipe

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 22, 2020