Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How about a thread for dealing with any kind of medical accommodation for going outdoors? Any issue, from corrective lenses, dietary restrictions, and medication to chronic conditions and significant disabilities.

My major issue is being nearsighted and I rely on my contacts to see anything. I want to throw a tent and some gear on the back of my motorcycle but I'm particularly afraid about having an issue with my contacts and I don't know how I would manage them at a primitive tent camping site. I don't worry about it day-to-day because even if my contacts melt and fall out (they never do, dailies are great) and the spare glasses in my car break I can still get an Uber home and put in a new pair. This must be a solved problem but I have no experience so I turn to goons for ideas and suggestions on how to deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

You pretty much covered it...bring extra contacts, bring backup glasses, have a simple repair kit.

Yes, it can be frightening that if your alternate and contingency and emergency plans all fail, you may be up poo poo creek. But that goes for everything in a wilderness setting (what if I lose my shoes? what if I fall in a river and lose my backpack?). The solution is just to avoid single points of failure, take reasonable precautions, let people know about where you are going, have emergency plans, and other than that just acknowledge that you need to be able to not gently caress everything up all at the same time.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Have a back up pair of glasses specifically for camping, get toughened frames/lenses if possible. Bring extra contacts/cases/solution. Get used to putting them in without a mirror.

I work in the woods and often have to camp, contacts havent been an issue though coworkers are often suprised I deal with them instead of using glasses.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've gone camping innumerable times and crashed three motorcycles without breaking a pair of glasses (I did snap a pair in half while cleaning them a couple months ago, though...). You'll be fine with a spare pair and spare contacts. Tesla Cola is right about toughened frames and lenses -- you can even get prescription safety glasses on line if you know your prescription.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I use a CPAP. Not sure how to get around that one. I just go without it but I sleep like absolute garbage and am useless the next day. That's probably also due to sleeping uncomfortably in the heat and on the ground.

I looked up batteries for CPAPs but they're pretty expensive. I'm not throwing that idea out though. I might look into one. First I have to actually start camping again.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I looked up batteries for CPAPs but they're pretty expensive. I'm not throwing that idea out though. I might look into one. First I have to actually start camping again.

This seems like it would be DIYable? But I'm really not sure how much juice a CPAP is gonna take. You can get a bunch of 18650s, strap them together, and maybe that will get you through a night. If it doesn't, sounds like the only risk is you just get lovely sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU3GhqX_Rwk
Like this guy did.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
CPAPs are too expensive for me to do a DIY project with. And I don't know the first thing about that stuff. The VA would probably be pretty upset if I broke mine. Technically I don't own it.

That's a neat idea though.

drstrangelove
Nov 26, 2007
No Fighting in the War Room!
Before getting lasik, I used either dailies or leave-in (overnight) contacts. Dailies are great, since you can often just wash your hands with clean water, then throw in the new contacts (using the small amount of solution in the pouch to lubricate your fingers). Monthly leave-ins work great if you are used to not touching your eyes.

If you hate safety you can use saliva in a pinch to put contacts back in. As a teen I probably did this hundreds of times, and I still have eyes. Plain water really stings (Probably due to osmosis?).

Glasses are obviously more reliable. Worst case with contacts, you have to lose both to be blind (monocular vision mostly affects depth perception from my experience).

CPAPs are probably workable for car camping, but I’ve never seen one on an overnight hike-in trip.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Larger campgrounds meant for RVs may have tent sites with electric, it depends. HipCamp let's you search for sites with electric as well, bit those are far less common. Otherwise, not too sure how far off the beaten track you can get.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

FBS posted:

My major issue is being nearsighted and I rely on my contacts to see anything. I want to throw a tent and some gear on the back of my motorcycle but I'm particularly afraid about having an issue with my contacts and I don't know how I would manage them at a primitive tent camping site. I don't worry about it day-to-day because even if my contacts melt and fall out (they never do, dailies are great) and the spare glasses in my car break I can still get an Uber home and put in a new pair. This must be a solved problem but I have no experience so I turn to goons for ideas and suggestions on how to deal.

Contacts are a lot of effort when tenting. Just bring two pairs of glasses.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
my wife and I have hiked hundreds of miles in a trip using contacts and glasses. Basically yeah just bring a backup pair, glasses, take care putting them in and taking them out. It sucks but I hate wearing glasses during the day as normal thing so I deal with the contacts

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

drstrangelove posted:

If you hate safety you can use saliva in a pinch to put contacts back in. As a teen I probably did this hundreds of times, and I still have eyes. Plain water really stings (Probably due to osmosis?).

Definitely read this as salvia, and I spent a minute wondering how a bad trip would help you put contacts in.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Been doing backpacking and camping for years with contacts, but I also bring my glasses and prescription sunglasses for backup/downtime. I used to use monthlies but now use dailies, both are fine but dailies are nicer for camping since they're always fresh and clean going in and don't need to worry about saline for storing. Either way, bring extras.

I can put in/take out my contacts in a handful of seconds by feel, no mirrors or anything required. Hopefully as a long-time contact wearer you can, too. If not, practice.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 20, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Suspect Bucket posted:

Larger campgrounds meant for RVs may have tent sites with electric, it depends. HipCamp let's you search for sites with electric as well, bit those are far less common. Otherwise, not too sure how far off the beaten track you can get.

Oh duh. I didn't even think of that. Wisconsin state parks list all campsites with electric hookups.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
36, had contacts since I was 16. Very nearsighted. I do everything from rafting to multi day backpacking and never have lost one. My doc says I have big irises and I cannot get contacts that truly fit my eyeball contour and I am still just fine.

I bring an extra pair occasionally but sometimes forget. Dont let it be an excuse to not live life! I have been in more car accidents than times I have lost a contact.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'd encourage a mod to change my stupid topic title to something more all-encompassing, I'm sure there's more to discuss than vision correction.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Something like Roughing It Accessibly: With the glasses down, I can't even see!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Can anybody recommend an online source for high-durability glasses? I'd like to pick up an extra pair before my prescription expires

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've purchased two pairs from https://www.rx-safety.com, both ANSI Z87.1 rated.

Check out their safety glasses: https://www.rx-safety.com/product-category/master-safety-glasses/

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 7, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I did a thing, let me know if the thing needs did again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Going with contacts is pretty easy. Bring some glasses and you really shouldn't have any issues. Also go get Lasik if you can. The best money you will ever spend in your life.

At Staunton State Park in Colorado they have an awesome access program for people in wheel chairs. They have some wide trails and tracked chairs. Check it out: https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Staunton/Pages/Track-Chair-Program.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Z-yje_2N8