Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best sa modmin

View Results

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Had a chat with some goons about their experiences living away from other folks, foregoing the conveniences of living in an urban area. While I have lived in a rural area of agricultural town before, I was still within 10 minutes of a walmart and half of that distance to a gas station. It sucked for a variety of reasons but the one thing I did like was being able to pee outside and see the stars more clearly at night. Then I thought about my old archaeology job where I met people living so remotely that WW3 could happen in America and they'd likely never hear about it. These tended to be older folks. They were kind to us visiting, answered the questions us younger students predictably asked: Hows life without internet /cellphone /individual phone lines (they used a thing called "party lines" where an entire street shares the same phone line). Because these folks lived in the mountains, getting to services was generally challenging. We were hours from grocery stores or medical services or gas stations. Of course, despite all these privations, they were happy to stay in the mountains away from everyone for the foreseeable future. Also one older guy broke his back or something while cutting trees and he had to crawl his way back to his house and find some way to crawl to help. Despite that event he still has no desire to leave.

I don't really get it, but also im a dumb terminally online millennial who walks to my local 9-Eleven to buy a candy or pizza or something. Genuinely interested to hear what you all like best about living away from others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i like showering nude in the front yard. drunk driving golf carts (not on public roads) is also pretty fun.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

for anyone looking to pursue a life in the wilderness I bring you a cautionary tale. two nights ago, on a night much like tonight, I went outside to use the bathroom just like god intended. when I went for the door knob to get back inside there was a daddy long legs the size of my hand perched on top, ready to attack. it hosed me up so bad I threw my peanut butter cracker on the ground and frankly I havnt been the same since

i slept outside that night

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I live in LA, but I'm currently with family in Montana. Turns out breathing air is... good?!
Also there are way more than three stars, it turns out.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I miss it so goddamn much, but it was just this side of too rural for internet.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

God drat I wish. Due to covid travel restrictions I spent my last vacation travelling the countryside, castles, lakes and poo poo, wow its great. I know its my advanced age speaking when I no longer care about the coolest clubs and such but living in a house near a river and forest and not giving a gently caress is far superior to living in a city.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

lets just say i personally know a lot of squirrels and they all hold me in high regard

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
what's up with your poll op

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'd rather eat a bullet than live somewhere with anything less than broadband internet

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My nearest stoplight is around 10-15 minutes away, depending on if you drive the speed limit or if you drive what everyone else out here drives.

It's quiet when people aren't blowing poo poo up or shooting whatever the hell they feel the need to blow away at 11:30 at night. The stars are unbelievable. I have my itty bitty farm and everyone pretty much tries not to bother anyone else. It's nice.

I'd like to be significantly further out, but I'd also like to have a DVM and the money to equip a personal office before I do it so I can tend to any animal emergencies. I'd also like more land so there's less 11:30 pm boom boom boom stuff.

Who What Now posted:

I'd rather eat a bullet than live somewhere with anything less than broadband internet

I have amazing internet. There are rural places that don't have it but that's rarer and rarer these days.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
There's not morons everywhere like in the city. There's morons but they're like a mile away at least.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

I grew up in a rural area and let me tell you as a child it sucks balls

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The cum is tangier.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
The countryside sucks. Not sure why anyone would want to live here.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I dont live rurally but I want to so bad.
I lived in a rural farming town for about 3 years because of a job I had and I did it without tv or internet and I think it was the only time I ever felt truly mentally healthy.

I don’t want to live in some farming town again but I’d love to live in some dark woods where I can’t see my neighbors homes or ever hear them.
With the pandemic I’m now used to shopping every other week. I hate driving in traffic and I hate all the crowds.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Those who think they can get away with things like driving like an idiot around town or sleeping with another person's spouse have a couple things to learn about watching their back.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All I need is the remote countryside, a metric ton of weed and some gnarly guitar amplifiers hah you guys know what the gently caress im talkin about!

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
If you're going to live in the country, live in a rural tourist town. It brings a lot of energy to the area every weekend, then it quiets down in the middle of the week. Tourists also mean disproportionately more restaurant options, better availability of things like groceries, wineries and breweries, and roads that are well-maintained.

Just don't work in the tourism sector -- enjoy it, and don't touch the poop.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I wish I could live somewhere peaceful. In the city people are always partying late at night or my roommate is doing stuff in the kitchen. In the small town where my parents live seagulls, magpies, crows, thrushes etc. squawk and croak constantly and people are always walking or driving by making lots of noise. If just want to sleep for God's sake!

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

All I need is the remote countryside, a metric ton of weed and some gnarly guitar amplifiers hah you guys know what the gently caress im talkin about!

This is literally my life, but add in a lot of hiking and a private disc golf course.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

PTSDeedly Do posted:

I grew up in a rural area and let me tell you as a child it sucks balls

yep. me too and I hated it, everything was a pain in the rear end especially once I got older and had to commute to work for minimum wage. I don't care if society collapses, I'd rather die someplace I can get a pizza delivered than live in the middle of nowhere again.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

If you're going to live in the country, live in a rural tourist town. It brings a lot of energy to the area every weekend, then it quiets down in the middle of the week. Tourists also mean disproportionately more restaurant options, better availability of things like groceries, wineries and breweries, and roads that are well-maintained.

I learned to stay off the local twitters or I was to be finding out how much the local @bartender06997420 hates the tourists that bring the money.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

This is literally my life, but add in a lot of hiking and a private disc golf course.

Uuuuuuh So you figured it out, then? You cracked the code on life, man. Please allow to me study at your knee I am not kidding.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Das Boo posted:

I live in LA, but I'm currently with family in Montana. Turns out breathing air is... good?!
Also there are way more than three stars, it turns out.
Does Sagittarius have anything on the stars of Sunset Strip? I think not.

Go check out the comet in the northern sky it's :eyepop:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You can shoot guns(preferably at deer) while in the great outdoors without somebody calling the cops on you but because these are goons the great outdoors isn't for them

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
Bug what you described sounds like 1965 rural. We have cellphones and all kinds of poo poo now.

+ no street lights
+ minimal cop traffic
+ low traffic period
+ forming communities to create coops like for roads and water and sewer
+ yard for kids Eg sledding
+ social distance is all the rage

- gun shooting in off season or in season for that matter
- unexpected bills usually covered by municipalities eg road repair
- windshield time
- kids dating someone a county away
- slow internet eg 20 mbps max without sucking a cable company dick

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

20 Blunts posted:

There's not morons everywhere like in the city. There's morons but they're like a mile away at least.

You missed one.

I live in a forest because I can do what I want whenever.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

In the city you gotta worry about drug addicts trying to get into your house and cars.

In the country it's the wildlife trying to get into your houses and cars.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I've become a rural poverty skeptic.

Every time I'm invited out to the boonies, I can't help but notice that they have a house much bigger than anything I'll ever get in the city, they have all the same amenities the suburbs have, they can afford to raise six children even though daddy is an alcoholic who never seems to have a real job, they have three cars that work and five more sitting in the yard awaiting repair, and they have a full armory of high quality firearms.

All of these things had to have been purchased with money. And those that don't have any money all scam "The Disability," which should really be renamed the Redneck Lottery.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

I've become a rural poverty skeptic.

Every time I'm invited out to the boonies, I can't help but notice that they have a house much bigger than anything I'll ever get in the city, they have all the same amenities the suburbs have, they can afford to raise six children even though daddy is an alcoholic who never seems to have a real job, they have three cars that work and five more sitting in the yard awaiting repair, and they have a full armory of high quality firearms.

All of these things had to have been purchased with money. And those that don't have any money all scam "The Disability," which should really be renamed the Redneck Lottery.

please elaborate on this 'The Disability', papa needs a new gun rack

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

please elaborate on this 'The Disability', papa needs a new gun rack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Srkytojhk

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
do not ever move somewhere remote

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

some dipshit moved into the farmhouse behind my folks place to convert it into a guesthouse type deal, and immediately made a bunch of noise complaints because the roosters would make a racket every morning. Like cmon son it's a bunch of working farms all around, what were you expecting.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CannonFodder posted:

Does Sagittarius have anything on the stars of Sunset Strip? I think not.

Go check out the comet in the northern sky it's :eyepop:

Hollywood is nasty! But the comet is good, thanks for the reminder!

Also wanted to share that at the end of my parents' driveway is the Windows desktop:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I don't! Stop asking me these weird questions!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can bury anything you want and no one will ever know.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

time sort of stands still and life begins to feel like a dream and also I can scream whenever I want and as loud as I want unless my dads around then he might ask me to knock it off

HEY MAN TV ON PC
Jul 14, 2009
my family has a place in the North Cascades in Washington that's only accessible by boat or floatplane. There are cars up there, but there are no roads in; cars have to be barged in. They never really got phones, but now everyone has satellite internet. we haven't been up this year because the biggest family up there that controls a lot of the valley continues to descend into pentacostal fundamentalism/trumpism and thinks the virus is a hoax

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you can bury anything you want and no one will ever know.

Dumb farmers, keep burying their seed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

This also applies to college towns. I hated growing up in one but as an adult it's great. It's got everything you need-need and all the other benefits you describe. I'm seriously impressed at how the restaurant options have exploded in the last decade or so, even after a bunch of corona closures.