Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Whats the deal with fishing forecasts. I dont pay them much mind because I just fish when I can fish... but yesterday was pretty stupid. I have one app on my phone that I use to look at the major feeding times and it forecasted the day to be a 3.something. Basically a poor fishing day. Then I looked on Accuweather's site and it told me yesterday was an 8, basically a great day. What stupid pseudo-bull are they even using to generate these numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Syano posted:

Whats the deal with fishing forecasts. I dont pay them much mind because I just fish when I can fish... but yesterday was pretty stupid. I have one app on my phone that I use to look at the major feeding times and it forecasted the day to be a 3.something. Basically a poor fishing day. Then I looked on Accuweather's site and it told me yesterday was an 8, basically a great day. What stupid pseudo-bull are they even using to generate these numbers.

The only "bad" fishing days are when its raining or the body of water just got a lot colder AND muddier very recently. Other than that, its almost always reasonable to catch fish and enjoy yourself.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
dumb q here: I’m riding my bike from the east coast to the west coast and would like to fish along the way. Do your states offer like 3 day fishing licenses and stuff for tourists or is it just full year? Obviously this is going to vary state to state I’m just kind of sampling the thread because I haven’t locked down the exact route yet. Would love to ride until I see some good water, fish, and then move on but it might be too much of a hassle.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Time posted:

dumb q here: I’m riding my bike from the east coast to the west coast and would like to fish along the way. Do your states offer like 3 day fishing licenses and stuff for tourists or is it just full year? Obviously this is going to vary state to state I’m just kind of sampling the thread because I haven’t locked down the exact route yet. Would love to ride until I see some good water, fish, and then move on but it might be too much of a hassle.

Every state has their own rules but most are 1-3 days. Quite a few states have very expensive 1-3 day out of state licensing which makes no sense. Good luck.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Bass Forecast seems to rely on temperature trends, wind, cloud cover, lunar cycles, and what the fish should be doing based on the season. The latest version will tell you what factors are used to determine the score. I take it all with a grain of salt, and the app isn't a substitute for experience or local knowledge. You can see what the fishing forecast says, go fishing, and then let your results inform you about how useful the forecast is.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Time posted:

Which states? Michigan and Wisconsin both offer $10/day for non-residents, you define how many days when you get the license. Minnesota looks a bit more convoluted but still offers it at a reasonable price.

East to west bike route sounds awesome, my dream trip is up to Alaska on a bike. Then I won't come back.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

Every state has their own rules but most are 1-3 days. Quite a few states have very expensive 1-3 day out of state licensing which makes no sense. Good luck.

This is from a trout expedition in New Mexico last year. Isn't unreasonable at all for 5 days.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Untrustable posted:

This is from a trout expedition in New Mexico last year. Isn't unreasonable at all for 5 days.

I think I paid 60 for an out of state license for An entire year for Oklahoma. I feel like more than half of that for 5 days is pretty poo poo.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
You can get a one day nonresident license in New York for 10 bucks. 7 day for 28, year for 50.

Resident license is 25 for a year.

Your milage may vary. :) Remember if you come here a lot of bodies of water have weird-rear end extra rules so take a look at the DEC site for whatever region you are at.

Migratory fish of the sea (steelhead and stripers mostly) need an extra stamp. I believe it's free for non-residents too but don't forget to add it.

NYC reservoir/other waters fishing requires a special tag from the city. It's also free but they are death on enforcement so be sure to get one. It's valid for 5 years.

Welcome to NY, land of a billion weird rules!

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 3, 2021

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

I think I paid 60 for an out of state license for An entire year for Oklahoma. I feel like more than half of that for 5 days is pretty poo poo.

Ah yeah I'm in Oklahoma and my yearly is 25. 34 seemed reasonable to me for all the great trout fishing.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Looking for inshore paddletail recommendations. Finally got my hands on a penn battle II 4K combo. Looking to do some fishing off the Courtney-Campbell causeway in Florida/Tampa. Currently looking at spooling up 15# braid and a 20# leader, to a swivel and a 1/4oz jig head. Paddletail or swim tail soft body is the idea. Seems like the go-to outside of shrimp cutbait.

Thoughts?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sounds dead-on for that spot.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Got skunked from the bank at Smith Mountain Lake last week. So while mucking around the shed I put a circle hook through my skin right by my knuckle. Hurt like hell. Luckily it wasn't deep and I remembered what to do. Instead I ripped it out the way it came in.

Thinking about going barbless.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Anyone use braid on light-ultralight stuff? I'm getting tired of the memory on the mono and looking to try something new if it's viable.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I just threw some 8lb spiderwire ultracast braid on my UL setup. I think its 2lb mono equivalent diameter, casts better than the 4lb mono I had on there before, and I can actually see it. I put a short 6lb flouro leader on it and I've been happily throwing 1/16th lures into all the local trees.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

LegionAreI posted:

Anyone use braid on light-ultralight stuff? I'm getting tired of the memory on the mono and looking to try something new if it's viable.

I use fluoro on my UL stuff

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Woodpile posted:

Got skunked from the bank at Smith Mountain Lake last week. So while mucking around the shed I put a circle hook through my skin right by my knuckle. Hurt like hell. Luckily it wasn't deep and I remembered what to do. Instead I ripped it out the way it came in.

Thinking about going barbless.

There’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. I’ve got family in Lynchburg and had a couple vacations at smith mountain lake as a kid. Last time I fished it was probably 25 years ago, and I caught a handful of sunnies from my uncle’s boat.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Got a half dozen bass this morning on a drop shot. I was initially using some huge nightcrawlers and kept pulling in little bluegills that weren't even as long as the worms. Switched over to a PB & J hula stik and the bass started hitting. I've been having good luck pretty much throwing anything as long as it's that color. Prior to this year I fished by trying everything in the tacklebox and catching very little. It's nice to start gaining confidence in a few techniques (Ned and DS) and see how I can make them work for mixed conditions.

I also opened up my nicest spinning reel to clean and lube. Based on what I saw inside I'm not sure it was necessary, and it was certainly stressful when the pack of drag washers scattered all over the counter. Is this something I actually need to be doing? I always had reels that were cheap enough to replace rather than maintain.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ihop posted:

Got a half dozen bass this morning on a drop shot. I was initially using some huge nightcrawlers and kept pulling in little bluegills that weren't even as long as the worms. Switched over to a PB & J hula stik and the bass started hitting. I've been having good luck pretty much throwing anything as long as it's that color. Prior to this year I fished by trying everything in the tacklebox and catching very little. It's nice to start gaining confidence in a few techniques (Ned and DS) and see how I can make them work for mixed conditions.

I also opened up my nicest spinning reel to clean and lube. Based on what I saw inside I'm not sure it was necessary, and it was certainly stressful when the pack of drag washers scattered all over the counter. Is this something I actually need to be doing? I always had reels that were cheap enough to replace rather than maintain.

If you're fishing salt water you should rinse off your reel and line really well to prevent corrosion, but in fresh water it isn't necessary. You most definitely don't need to strip and lube your reel every time you use it; it's not like a gun that needs to be cleaned after each use. But yeah, you really shouldn't need to disassemble a reel, like, ever. You're far more likely to reassemble it wrong than to make it perform better.

Re: bass baits, have you messed around with senkos at all? Wacky rig and weightless Texas rig are popular and effective bass presentations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I was thinking the maintenance would be a yearly thing but now I'm thinking it's a never-again thing.

Texas/Carolina-rigged senkos used to be the only soft plastic I fished, but for whatever reason it never worked for me like the other two are this year. Wacky rigging I could never get to work, but I think it mostly came down to poorly matched line and rod.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I was gonna take a shot at spring brookies this year and Ontario just closed all parks AND crown land.

I spent about a month over the course of summer 2020 on an empty crown land lake (that ordinarily is fly in only) and it was not just a good summer "considering COVID" but genuinely one of the most enjoyable in my life. Fuckin covidiots ruin everything.

I can maybe tolerate this through bug season but holy moly please jeebus let me canoe camp come July :ohdear:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Take your reel apart when it gets noisy and you need to replace a bearing. If you dunk it remove the spool and dry everything off.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I had an exciting one today. Took my canoe out to a new city reservoir. I was throwing the ned on my light setup and on the third cast I had reeled in to the boat and was reaching for the bait as it was coming out of the water when a ~3lb bass came up out of the muddy deep, smashed the bait up into the air and scared the poo poo out of me. I didn't even have to reel, just lifted the rod and grabbed the fish by the lip and into the boat.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ihop posted:

Wacky rigging I could never get to work, but I think it mostly came down to poorly matched line and rod.

Right now (spawn season) is the time to fish a wacky-rigged weightless senko. I fish it on a medium/fast spinning rod on a Gamagatsu finessee wide gap weedless 2/0 hook. Fantastic for skipping up under docks or overhanging trees.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So I finally found time to get out in freshwater for the first time in like twenty years. Tried a little ned rigging in an upstate springfed lake around some downed logs and got one strike with no hookset.

gently caress, I've missed this. Ponds and lakes aren't as beautiful around here but I'm pretty jacked to get back at it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've had the most consistent success with the Ned rig this year. I've had about equal success with a finesse TRD and a hula stick. Today my one catch was a small guy caught on a 1/15 oz head with a hula stick reeled in swimbait style.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’m a tremendously lovely fisherman even in my most experienced settings (surf and inshore bank) but this was fun even in futility. I had to improvise a bit—I didn’t have any freshwater tackle really and I wanted to do some ned rigging but they didn’t have the same kind of jig heads I saw being used in videos so I used a wacky jighead, threaded it on a short watermelon seed worm I cut down and tried working it in a few different ways around some downed logs and off some rock ledges.

I was bummed not to bring anything in but was encouraged by a decent strike that honestly caught me off guard in only about an hour of fishing (restless daughter :rolleyes:) but it was enough to get me excited for more.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The ned rig doesn't need much of a hookset; the hook is usually inverted when a fish nibbles it, and trying to set the hook hard is more likely to yank it away from them. Bass frequently hook themselves on a ned, frequently on the fall, and you usually just need to do a steady retrieve. It's easy to get excited and jump the gun when you get a nibble, but that's all stuff that comes with time on the water.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, odd question here but I had recently put up on ebay a vintage Garcia Rod+ Reel, and I have three different people, all listed as from Portland, OR, and profile says Based in China, all making offers on this.

Is there something I should be aware/concerned about?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, odd question here but I had recently put up on ebay a vintage Garcia Rod+ Reel, and I have three different people, all listed as from Portland, OR, and profile says Based in China, all making offers on this.

Is there something I should be aware/concerned about?

I 100% bet they will "accidentally" send you a check for too much and ask you to send back the difference.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
After multiple outings stubbornly trying crankbaits and jerkbaits and catching zero fish, I rage-fished a grub under a float and got a 3 lb on my second cast.

Last year I bought some cheap Frog Toggs hip waders and absolutely loved using them for stream fishing, but they really suck for walking any distance. Is there a wader system that's not miserable for a bit of hiking between spots?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dutymode posted:

After multiple outings stubbornly trying crankbaits and jerkbaits and catching zero fish, I rage-fished a grub under a float and got a 3 lb on my second cast.

Last year I bought some cheap Frog Toggs hip waders and absolutely loved using them for stream fishing, but they really suck for walking any distance. Is there a wader system that's not miserable for a bit of hiking between spots?

Hell yeah, nice bass!

Waders: you should try walking to a different spot wearing bootfoot neoprene bib waders in thigh-deep water. :getin:

For real though, there a lots of lightweight, "breathable" waders out there and they hardly hamper your movement at all. Also bib waders are a lot nicer than hip waders imo.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Also bib waders are a lot nicer than hip waders imo.

For sure, I was just too cheap for anything else and got the hip waders for like $20. I guess what I'm asking, if I upgrade to bib waders is there anything in particular I should look for, especially if I'm hiking a mile or so to get to somewhere unpressured. Are stocking foot better, for example?

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 26, 2021

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Stockingfoot are way better if you are walking a significant distance or are in rocky waterways because you get A) real shoes and B) ankle support. Some boots, like my Korkers Darkhorses, have interchangeable soles for varying terrain/traction requirements. I have some Orvis waders that I like well enough which are convertible from chest to waist height and are breathable. If you are going to be doing a lot of wading and can afford it I would definitely recommend going with something higher end/buy once cry once from Simms, Patagoina, Orvis, etc. if you can swing it. Also check with your local fly/fishing shop and see what they have that will be suitable to where you're fishing. They may even have some oddball stuff to sell you at serious discount if it's a discontinued model or odd sizing or something else. I got a screaming deal on my waders because the shop couldn't find a box for them, nobody knew who ordered them and otherwise just didn't know what to do with them. They fit me so a normally $400 pair of waders were mine for $150.

If you're going to be hiking through thorny brush, though, definitely consider bringing the waders in a pack and putting them on once you get to the water because while the higher end brands are very durable, they aren't bulletproof.

Also, if it's warm and the water is clean enough I like to wear neoprene wading socks with my wading boots and just wet wade in shorts or quick drying pants. All the ankle support and traction benefits and it's cooler than being in waders mid-summer.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Will echo what a lot of people are saying here, stockingfoot is way better if you need to hike. I've done 2 miles or so in my Orvis waders and other than sweating out my weight in water because it was 90 degrees out, everything was fine. Good quality boots with support is important too and those will be a cost as well!
Check your local area about tread options too. We have some sort of weird-rear end stream crud that gets into felt soles so they are not really allowed because they spread the crud elsewhere.

I'm a little iffier on wet wading mostly because my favorite stream is very dodgy in terms of water quality. If you have a better water source that isn't going to give you the plague if you have a cut on your leg, go for it though. I know some of you guys live in less populated areas!

I paid about 300 bucks for the waders and around that for the boots so it's a pretty hefty layout to start but they've lasted 3 years so far.

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 26, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I noticed nice Simms waders at one of our Sierra B&M stores the last time I was in for around $200.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

highme posted:

I noticed nice Simms waders at one of our Sierra B&M stores the last time I was in for around $200.

I am glad I don't fish cold water streams as I am both annoyed and terrified of waders.

My freezer now has 33 pounds of catfish filets. Texas in now in that weird spawning, about to spawn, just got done spawning of about 6 species of fish I normally fish for but those cats are biting everywhere consistently.

Can't wait for the spawn to be fully done and poo poo to be schooling again.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

highme posted:

My simms chest high stocking foots are going on 20 years now.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I hate waders and wet wade 100% all year round. 5.10 Canyoneers, neoprene socks, and river pants combo is perfect for me. The shoes are super grippy on wet river rocks and very comfortable for hiking miles on rock trails in and out. The boots are expensive, but worth it to me.

Bonus dickspoon action tonight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I have a pair of the cheap frogg togg bib waders and they've held up well* for 4 years. I've definitely gotten my $40 dollars' worth from them.

They're only good spring to fall, useless in the winter but i knew that going in.

They are absolutely miserable to walk any distance in. I bought a pack with a 3 litre water bag and just enough room for the rolled up waders, first aid kit, snacks, spare socks, and a small box for whatever tackle won't fit in my tackle bag, as well as a 2- section rod broken down and strapped to the side.

It's very hard for me to get down to the river these days because of medical issues and packing it in instead of wearing it has turned out to be a lot easier for me.

*except for the time that i got really drunk on the river and managed to drop a lit cigarette down them while taking a piss. I patched the hole with some rubber tape and gorilla glue and they've stayed dry since