Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

If you can afford it, get a pedal yak

That is always my advice, paddling is fine but pedals with a rudder is just invaluable. You can find them used and in good shape on Craigslist if your near a big city, seems like people buy them and resell after they sit in the garage all summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Slung Blade posted:

Anyone have a Hobie mirage drive kayak? I really want one for fishing and duck hunting. Being able to pedal while casting or prepping my shotgun sounds amazing.

I have had mine for over a decade now.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Slung Blade posted:

How do you like it? Is it one of the angler models? Do you find it heavy to carry around?

I have the Outback and it's perfect for river, lake, ponds, inter coastal, ocean and i have fished all of those bodies in it. Storage is nice and easily reachable, built in tackle box and pole holders work well. I have a fish finder installed and I used to have red LED lights for night fishing. I have lived out of it for 3-4 day river trips without worry of over loading it.

I have no issues loading it on my hatchback solo and I have dragged it more than a half mile for fishing without too much trouble, but I consider myself to be in good shape. It's easy to build a cart out of pvc and wheels for dragging though and Hobie is a outstanding company in my opinion.

My kayak developed a crack in the seat pan after 6 years of use and I contacted Hobie, all I had to do was pay $80 shipping through a local shop and they sent me a complete brand new hull. I have used a version of the outback for over 10 years and the only reason I slowed down is I just got a boat for the bigger lakes. Though I rather use the kayak for small bodies and rivers.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I am eagerly awaiting my chance to get my kid her first Zebco after all the recent Zebco chat.

I did that 2 year ago with my daughter and I have a lifetime fishing buddy. Now she uses a hot pink ugly stick and pink spinning reel and cast that thing like a pro.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think my two spinning and two bait casters are bass pro shop branded sitting on various ugly sticks and each one is close to 18 years old. That is money will spent as each one cost $50-$75.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

If you have a kayak doing a overnight float on the Brazos/Trinity River is really fun and a great way to see some nice parts of the country and catch fish from low pressure areas.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have the next two days off and was hoping to get into some late season crappie but the temp is supposed to be 45 degrees and that might be a bit cold on the kayak. On the other hand I have a bunch of oil from deep frying a turkey and I would hate for that to go to waste and a Christmas fish fry would be wonderful.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Speaking of boats what's a good recommendation for thermal protection I can put down on the floor of my aluminum boat? drat thing gets hot during the summer so having a thermal barrier would be nice and something soft of the feet too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I'll have to hunt around for that community. I did initial research on carpeting but the glueing turned me off initially due to replacement being a pain in the rear end.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Picked up a Cot Tent for $10 that is in amazing shape, now I really need to figure out a place is NC that I can do a over night camp/ fishing trip. Not something I would be able to backpack in with but easily put on my boat and camp on the side of the lake.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I need a recommendation on a catfish rod and reel as my heaviest set-up I currently own can support 14 lb test at the most. My area is know for some massive catfish and I would like to be able to comfortably target 30+ pounds, it's not uncommon to see people pulling up giant fish on the river.

Especially now that I have my boat I have better and longer range access then my kayak afforded me.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sickening posted:

There is a dude on youtube called kayak catfish. He fishes the Tennessee river valley and he catches giant catfish. He not only is a good watch in general, but he gives you a good idea on what tackle he uses and the importance of bait. I would give him a long watch because if catfish is what you are after, he is an extreme wealth of knowledge. Being that you have a boat his technics are things you can use and his videos alone have led me to my biggest catfish.

The general consensus for catfish is that spending a lot of money on rods is pointless. I like the big ugly sticks myself and they are 40 bucks or less. Either the casting rods or the spinning rods depending on the type of reel you like. I like them and a lot of people do because they are cheap and you arent going to snap them.

Reels is basically the same thing. You aren't going to be doing a lot of casting. SO anything with a big spool and a clicker work just fine. Spending a lot of money on catfish reels is pointless.

Thanks for the youtube recommendation, I'm always looking for new fishing channels to watch. I'm a fairly proficient at catfishing but I have always used lighter tackle to target 3-5 lb fish for eating and up scaling my weights and rigs should be simple. We have the shad run happening soon so I should be able to get all the cut bait I need for the year and my daughter is a Bluegill catching beast so she keeps me with live bait.

I was assuming a ugly stick was the way to go, I have a few now and I absolutely love those, just need to figure out what action is best. The reel is where my knowledge is lacking but I know I want a casting set up. I might check out Luke from Catfish and Carp too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sickening posted:

In my opinion , heavier action just doesn’t do it for me when catfishing. It’s so important to let them hook themselves up and to not set the hook like you would doing any other fishing. I need something strong but slow action. The older white ugly sticks are perfect for that.

From my research it looks like I want a Medium Heavy action and a pole that ranges in the 7'4-8" range, thankfully I have two really well stocked tackle shops in my area and a Cabela's that I should be able to find a Ugly Stick that meets that requirements.

For the reels is there anything special besides something that can hold 30 lb test?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think you might be right on the size of the pole, the bank fishing I'll be doing is on small rivers and don't need the range a large pole will generate. Plus a large pole would be a hindrance in a boat I think.

6-6'6 seems like that might be a perfect size.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 8, 2021

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Missouri is full of state maintained lakes and pounds that you typically had to walk a half to full mile to get to, over grass trails that where mowed regularly and I very rarely saw people out there. The hike was so easy I drug my 60 lb kayak and gear the distance with little issue. These places where get no trash, no pressure, super quiet and a ton of fish to catch and release.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Went shad fishing tonight and the water level has dropped about 4-5 feet and a ton of bank is exposed and I got to collect all these goodies. I love walking and cleaning up old, usable lures and sinkers.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anytime I fished a new coast line I just did basic research on the fish in the area and the type of habitats they like such as sandy bottom, rocks, grass bed, etc. You can learn alot by tossing a line out with a sinker on it to feel what the bottom is like.

You can also look for the difference in the way the waves break and the color of water to find the deeper holes too. When it comes to bait what ever is native works well.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

All this talk of braid...I bought a new catfish rig with a wonderful Abu Garcia Ambassador and spooled it with braid for the first time. Took it out and thought the drag was broken and I was getting pissed, lo and behold apparently your need to spool braid different than mono. I had no drat clue and I hope I just didn't waste $15 in braid.

Edit: managed to figure it out, I despooled the braid onto a empty line spool, using a drill for speed. I put a 14 lb test mono backer attached my braid via a double uni knot and everything is golden.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I'm a big fan of garlic powder on my cut bait when I'm fishing for cats in lakes, I feel like it gets the scent into the water column a bit stronger. When I'm fishing in the local river I haven't really noticed much of a difference but I like live bait for that style of fishing.