Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Any of you fly fishing folks use a sling pack? My vest could use replacement and I don’t like having too much poo poo on my chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Looks amazing as usual. What side did you go in on? One set of grandparents lived in Estes, the other set had a cabin on Lake Granby, so I've been there once or twice.

I took a afternoon recon mission to one of the 11 lakes in Oregon named Lost Lake on Saturday. This one is fairly small but allegedly has some decent fishing. I'm pretty sure I was not actually prepared to catch anything but I walked around the lake and checked poo poo out, then cast a few lures out. I had intended on taking my float tube out, but couldn't find the right adapter to inflate it so I said gently caress it and just went bank fishing. Was planning on camping this weekend, but it's looking like rain again, which is loving great, but we're still under a fire ban in all the spots I'd want to go and I'm not that into rain camping without a fire. So I might just have to head up to Trillium to see if I can find some late season rainbows or something.

highme
May 25, 2001

gamera009 posted:

Probably answered before, but anyone tried Aliexpress for packable ultralight rods/reels?

I’m thinking about a ultralight packable system for next summer, hiking to alpine lakes and streams. I’ve got tenkara for it, but would also like something for some of the larger alpine lakes I’ve seen, where I can’t quite cast all the way out to larger fish I see.

I have not fished with it, but I bought a 5wt rod from AliExpress for similar reasons. It seems decent, but I’m not really the best at assessing that. The shipping time was pretty quick. I ended up finding a St Croix rod on CL because I didn’t think it was going to arrive in time for a trip we had planned to Bend. It showed up, but that was the week Oregon was on fire and then was no fishing that trip.

If you want to give it a shot I’d sell it for the $20 or I paid.

highme
May 25, 2001

I enjoy the overprotective folks that don't understand metadata and geotagging.

highme
May 25, 2001

A rare corporate April's Fools joke that isn't horrible

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/introducing-the-new-orvis-pro-dog-waders

highme
May 25, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

I got a hearty chuckle out of that, thank you!

I appreciate the commitment to the bit, it's a fully fleshed piece of corporate comms.

highme
May 25, 2001

I noticed nice Simms waders at one of our Sierra B&M stores the last time I was in for around $200.

highme
May 25, 2001

Currently heading to the Chewucan River in Southern Oregon to chase some native Redband Trout. As I opted to leave all my spinning stuff in Bend I’m not terribly confident I will catch anything, but I’m gonna stomp around in a river and see what happens.

highme
May 25, 2001

I successfully stomped around in a river and only lost one fly. Learned that the 3wt rod I have is really drat twitchy but the 5wt is a dream.

highme
May 25, 2001

I want the smallest possible size of nutsack sinker to attach to my tow hitch.

highme
May 25, 2001

Anybody familiar with these? This looks like a handy little inflatable and that's a lot of accessories for $600.

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/spo/d/underwood-for-sale-scadden-inflatable/7346426062.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XZ5iOz5wfM

highme
May 25, 2001

Ah, I've got a float tube I rarely use. I'm considering some kind of multiuse SUP/kayak, but nothing is really on my radar at the moment. This thing just looks mildly interesting.

highme
May 25, 2001

Just read this article about how bad the Columbia River steelhead run is this year and one guide deciding to cancel their entire season. It's quite good.

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/when-do-you-draw-line/7715339

highme
May 25, 2001

Heading to San Pancho, Mexico (30-45 min north of Puerto Vallarta past Sayulita) over Christmas and looking to do at least 1 boat trip and would like to rent some gear so we can surf fish whenever the gently caress we want off the beach. I'm inclined to find the guy in the harbor that wants $50 to fill a panga with gringos and he keeps most of the catch, but my brother & his family have fancier tastes and I wouldn't object to splurging on some bougie fishing experience.

My dad doesn't want to do anything from a boat but mentioned surf fishing, hence the rentals. I doubt he's got anything in his Colorado tackle for chasing Mexican shore fish. Probably can look at PV for this even now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Just got back from 4 hours on the water with a couple of guides in Punta Mita, MX (just north of Puerto Vallarta). Was not the best day catching but a good time fishing. I was the only one of our group to get any hits with the jigs we were using. Unfortunately the boat got hit with wake right as I was starting to fight and knocked me off balance enough I couldn’t keep tension and lost it. We only had one hit on the bait rigs and while I was reeling it in one of the guides noticed the same fish had also taken the bait of another boat and we were both reeling it in. We got to the point where the fish was halfway between us when it got loose and our lines were still connected at the hooks and suspended a couple feet of off the water. The guides on both boats were laughing pretty hard at it, as nobody had ever seen that before.

Edit: Forgot the important part, we landed 1 Spanish Mackerel that became amazing fresh ceviche.

highme fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 22, 2021