Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Got into fishing a week or so ago and it is quite chill imo. Been using google earth to find some gorgeous spots in my area that I never even knew about. Using a spinning rod and my lucky crankbait.

So far I’m more into rivers but I found a sweet inaccessible pond in a corporate park yesterday where I was pullin largemouths out nonstop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Using a small rebel crickhopper which is kind of a crankbait topwater hybrid and they have been going nuts for it. Pulled ten fish out of the river with it in a few hours a couple days ago and it has since been dubbed my lucky lure

e: as a bonus it was on clearance for $1.84 at walmart!

rap music fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 11, 2020

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

oh ya that there's a good un!

hey everybody watch this topwater highlight reel cuz it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLFjS_6nLc

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

what is a good goon kayak

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I like lazy rivers and am generally considered a large human at 6’4” 230lbs, no idea what an appropriate price is though

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Where do you live? Approximately.

You should be able to find a simple boat to start out on for $400 or less. You don't need a Fishing Kayak to fish from a kayak, much less to start out. I fished for years out of my Old Town Voyager and never once had the urge to get a Fishing Kayak, but I did farkle it a little bit as I went. I think I paid ~$325 for it brand new at Dick's in 2007.

Mid Atlantic. I think you're right as my gear is limited to a single spinning rod and a fanny pack. I guess my main concern is getting something that cuts through current but won't immediately sink when I sit in it.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Where should I shop for tackle? There's a Dick's nearby but Cabela's isn't. Are Amazon prices good? I've heard of Tackle Warehouse too. Best price would be great so I don't feel AS stupid casting into a tree.

Walmart is cheaper than amazon for a lot of stuff

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

dangling pointer posted:

E: I asked in the discord but my headlamp recently broke. Any recommendations?

Will I get banned for directly linking to amazon? Let's find out!

I recently needed to replace a headlamp as well and one of my criteria was that it use a rechargeable lithium ion. This model has worked spectacularly so far. In fact I just spent three days camping with friends and they argued more than a few times on who got to use it when I loaned it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WDNCNTH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i feel like an idiot for agreeing to show a couple friends my unmolested bass hole tomorrow

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I’m in a pretty populous area but I find my best spots on google earth. Generally I want places that are somewhat inaccessible since most people are too lazy for anything that isn’t 5’ from where they parked.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

pulled two extra softbaits out of a bass today lol

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I’m new and started on a pflueger president spin caster combo from dicks for like $70 and love it tbh

Probably should have got a shorter rod tho since I like to find untouched bank spots which usually have a lot of brush and stuff

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

titties posted:

Good buy imo. I have a 400 president on my steelhead rig that i bought on sale for $40 and i like it so much that i have been looking for a deal on a 300 size to use on my general purpose setup for the last 3 years but i can never find them for less than $60. If you got one with a decent rod for $70 then I'm super jelly tbh

Ya I noticed the combo at dicks was the same price as the reel on amazon so free rod kinda?

It’s this one except 6’6 2pc rod

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Try other ponds too. There is one spot near me that I’ve fished multiple times (out of hellbent frustration) without so much as a nibble, while at another nearby I’m pulling fish out nonstop.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

titties posted:

I also will fish out of spite tbh

I “refused to be defeated” but all it got me was multiple lost lures

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I want to reiterate my best fishin ponds are the ones most people are gonna be too lazy to get to

Find some that are off the beaten path with google earth

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Even if it’s public find one that is unkempt and you have to wade thru a little brush to get to. I swear to you most people will spend hours catching nothing at a terrible spot that’s easily accessed rather than deal with the slightest inconvenience to fish a gem

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Bass like to hang out around visual landmarks like fallen trees, docks, rock piles, stumps, etc. they also like to travel along the bank within 10’ out depending on the terrain.

If you really want to sperg out for lake fishing you can look thru dated archives on the google earth desktop app. Rewind time to a point during which the lake was lowest and make note of lay downs and other landmarks along the bottom that would otherwise be hidden during periods of normal depth.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

buy some basic tackle and use it to catch fish

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

poo poo most people just clamp that drag dial down as tight as it will go and yank the fish out of the water with brute force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I’ll reiterate that if you put forth even a modicum of effort to traverse slightly tougher terrain you will exclude almost all fishermen and women