Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I made a very detailed post 3 years ago that includes everything I knew about hammocks.

CopperHound posted:

How to make a hammock:
1.)Find a loving table cloth: http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/tablecloths-Table-Linens-Chair-Covers-Sashes-s/132.htm
2.)Lash the ends http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html or just gather it and tie a sheet bend with your loving suspension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I
3.)Hang the hammock and don't you dare use loving rope on a tree in a public park and ruin it for the rest of us: https://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/hammock-camping-101/

Congratulations. You just made an ENO hammock for less than 1/3 the price.
Now my hammock is two layers so I can slide a pad in there to keep my rear end warm. I don't use an underquilt because I like being ready to sleep on the ground. Also I use a ridge line. Ridge lines are good. If you have trouble getting your lay angle just right each time you put up a hammock, you also need a ridge line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Yellow Jesus posted:

Any of you know a lot about tarps? I've just been using a tarp that came with a cheapo aliexpress hammock and i'm wondering if there are any benefits from buying something fancier.
I like packing a winter tarp:

It is a lot of extra fabric to carry around, but it is versatile enough for any sort of pitching I might want to do.

Snake skins make handling it much more manageable.
E: also usable for non hammock stuff.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 23, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm surprised how few pictures I see with structural ridge lines. I cannot sleep unless I get the hammock sag angle just right.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You never know until you try.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

Are there any good 'two tree' rain fly kits that would allow a breeze or ability to see out? ? I wanted to look at the water, but what I got was a black plastic ceiling. I was pondering trying to make a spare tent pole X triangle roof that could hang from a Ridgeline. Rather not reinvent the wheel though.
Are you imagining a lean-to type set up that cantilevers beyond your ridgeline? I can't think of anything like that. If I actually need rain protection and want a view and ventilation, I look a couple long sticks to prop up one end. Other times I set up the tarp and and stakes, but leave it in a snake skin or have it folded over one side for quick deployment.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Also, now that I'm looking at your big net setup: Have you thought to try incorporating that ridge line with the hammock itself and then sliding the bugnet as a sock over the entire thing? I think it might give you a much faster set-up.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I don't know the real meaning of cold, but Shug, the crazy uncle of hammocks, has a lot of winter camping videos.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think the way to do it, unfortunately as is the case often with winter camping, is to just throw a lot of money at your insulation.
Eh, closed cell foam goes a long way for cheap if not the most packable of comfortable solution.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sockser posted:

However, that said, I've gotten really tired of having to set up my bug net-- running a separate ridgeline for it, since my rainfly doesn't need one, just really slows down the whole operation
I'm a fukin' broken record here. Integrate the ridge line with your hammock. Pack the hammock with the bug net on it.

e: can we put this image in OP please?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 4, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I like using arborist throw line for most stuff. It is super strong and abrasion resistant and the weight is pretty much negligible. There is some learning curve though. It doesn't have a core, so I don't think it holds a prussik, but It can be the prussik. I would use a figure 9 or one of the silly dutchware things on one side of your tarp like this:

Also, because the string has no core it can be hard to untie any non-slippery knots that have been loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Loucks posted:

Straps tied in a Beckett hitch are already very easy to adjust ime. Haven’t tried any other suspension though since I’m happy with the straps.
If you're content with Beckett hitch stick with it. Whoopie slings add a significant amount to minimum hang distance unless you do some shenanigans that involve putting the sling partway around the tree.

E: also on my last outing my partner pulled a woopie loop closed all the way and I had to spend 10 minutes fishing the loop out.