Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammockbottom
Apr 10, 2005

It was Hamhockbottom right?
I actually work at a prospecting shop, so I'll try to remember to check in on the thread. I talk about this stuff all the time, so I may have some useful information.

I. M. Gei posted:

I’ve been wanting to do this for years, so I’m glad to see that somebody finally made a thread about it!

I’d like to check out that Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas one day. OP, do you have any tips for diamond prospecting?

I actually hadn't heard of this until I started working at a Metal detector / prospecting shop. I took my GF on a weekend trip to this and we had a lot of fun. She was skeptical that people actually found diamonds, but then someone at a campsite near us found one. We only booked a cabin for 2 nights (we planned on getting in late on the first night) and as soon as she heard that someone found one, we seriously debated about trying to do it for a second day.

Tips: Be prepared to work. Let's be clear. It is work. Take a few 5gal buckets so you can haul material to the wash stations (and then keep anything you don't toss or get to check). I saw a lot of wagons that people would use with multiple buckets to keep near the wash stations to process a lot of material quickly. They (typically) rent out classifiers, but I don't believe that they are right now (COVID-19). You should double check and plan accordingly. If you need to take some, 1/4" 1/8" and if I am remembering correctly, 1/20". Most diamonds found there are about the size of a match stick, though larger have been found. She didn't get great cell reception, but found an area that she got service, so she volunteered to get dirt for me to classify. I stood around the wash station and just ran it all through the classifiers.

We didn't find any, but I have a much better idea of how to approach it when we go again. I'll probably buy or make a "Saruka" before we go. A guy next to me was using one and at the end of the day he saw my poor planning and taught me how to use one. It was easier and quicker than a box classifier when done right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26hQnXWcu0I

Edit: I'll also work up an OP for metal detecting at some point. I'm not sure what the interest level is, but there is a LOT of information to absorb when starting out.

Hammockbottom fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU