Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I guess this is the new running thread?

I need some shoe advice.

I only run 3-5 miles at a time 2-3 times a week. Usually about a 9 minute/mile pace with a few 100m strides at the end. I’m not into competing unless it’s against myself and I run on asphalt or sidewalks.

I used Brooks Ghosts for a while and then I wanted something different-tried the mizuno wave. Those took some breaking in but they were ok so I went back to the Ghost 12 and they just never felt right to me.

I don’t overpronate or have flat feet or high arches-the feet are just pretty average. I’m 5’8” 170 pounds.

Lately with the ghosts I’ve been having some pain on the ball of my left foot in the middle, reaching up towards the toes a bit, so I went to look for some new shoes. Here’s my experience:

Saucony Triumph 7: didn’t feel much different then the Brooks, but they were new and had some more cushioning, so that was good.

New balance Beacon 3: felt GREAT on a decline but felt a little light on the cushioning going uphill. Worried about the longevity of these since it feels like they won’t last long.

The main reason I didn’t go for another pair of ghosts was because the pain in the left foot. The only thing I can observe when I run is that my left foot seems to land more in the middle of my foot (between the toes and the heel) than my right foot does (which is a heel strike). If I actively think about it when running, I can heel strike with my left foot, but then a minute later I’m day dreaming and landing on the middle again.

I dunno if any of this helps steer me towards a correct shoe or not, but figured I’d give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Party Boat posted:

The running thread in YLLS gets a lot more traffic so you might have more luck asking there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522054&pagenumber=1271&perpage=40

Thanks-I know a lot of the biking ones moved here but wasn’t sure on the running thread.