Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018
I have 300k to invest with. Ive just started talking to an advisor at chase so still getting my bearings. but Id also like to hear your opinions because collectively there is a lot of knowledge here

If I believe that

1) trump losing the election = stock market drops as it rose when he was elected

2) in a few months the hospitals will have people dying in the hallways with nowhere to put them. Which will trigger shutdowns in some or all states

3) business bankruptcies will rise soon. which means more unemployment. More housing foreclosures, rental evictions

in general I would like to wait until after the market crash Im expecting to invest my money when the market is down. the advisor generally wants my money now to invest

4) should I short the stock market then after the crash invest it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

No you should not try to time the market

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018
if Im confident its gonna crash I shouldnt wait until after it happens?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

thewalk posted:

if Im confident its gonna crash I shouldnt wait until after it happens?

What are the full details of your plan? It sounds like you're asking if it's good to sell high and buy low, which it is, but...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

thewalk posted:

I have 300k to invest with. Ive just started talking to an advisor at chase so still getting my bearings. but Id also like to hear your opinions because collectively there is a lot of knowledge here

If I believe that

1) trump losing the election = stock market drops as it rose when he was elected Why? He's been an unmitigated disaster even to large businesses. Are you sure about this?

2) in a few months the hospitals will have people dying in the hallways with nowhere to put them. Which will trigger shutdowns in some or all states. Why? We've had people dying in hallways for months now and states still lifted shutdowns. Why does it matter this time?

3) business bankruptcies will rise soon. which means more unemployment. More housing foreclosures, rental evictions If a large, publicly-traded company scoops up all that foreclosed housing at a bargain, how would that impact the market in your view? How does a wave of foreclosures effect "the stock market" in more than a hand-wavey way?

in general I would like to wait until after the market crash Im expecting to invest my money when the market is down. the advisor generally wants my money now to invest

4) should I short the stock market then after the crash invest it? Yeah sure why not, run this poo poo into the ground. Try leveraging your existing home through a HELOC so you can get even more money into the short.

Start a blog and tell us how your investment goes. I'd recommend switching from Chase to Charles Schwab, though, and make sure you use their E-Trade option to self-manage.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

thewalk posted:

Why you are giving 300k to someone who already is ignoring your wishes?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I've really got to start selling puts already.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

I've really got to start selling puts already.

Selling put puts doesn't seem that profitable, honestly.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Most stock advisors aren't worth a dime. Put your money into SPY and forget about it.

You know how to make a mid sized fortune? Start with a large fortune and actively invest it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Please stop giving bad advice. Unopened lego sets are the new tulip market.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

Please stop giving bad advice. Unopened lego sets are the new tulip market.

But where on the bubble/curve are we? :confused:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
You should short the US housing market. If it all goes well for you, maybe they'll make a movie about it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

You should short the US housing market. If it all goes well for you, maybe they'll make a movie about it.

A+ post.

If you are dumb enough to short the market, please post here so we at least get entertainment out of it.

Serious post: It’s a reasonable bet to anticipate the market going up and down. It’s an unreasonable bet to think you can properly time so many factors that people with 1,000 x’s your resources can’t properly time.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The super obvious point is that the market is divorced completely from actual conditions. The idea that the market will crash because the economy is collapsing does not seem to bear any resemblance to reality. The market isn't a reflection of anything real, it's just a vehicle for people with extra money to make more money. If you have extra money, put it in and wait for more money. Isn't that the game?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
do you actually know what a short is, and the consequences of being wrong about one? you can not only lose your 300k, but also an unlimited amount of additional money beyond that depending on just how severely wrong you are

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I don't know if it's attributed correctly or anything, but I think "the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent" are definitely words to live by here

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DELETE CASCADE posted:

do you actually know what a short is, and the consequences of being wrong about one? you can not only lose your 300k, but also an unlimited amount of additional money beyond that depending on just how severely wrong you are

Right, but Trump’s gonna lose the election, so obviously that means stocks will go down.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

lol @ thread concept of guy with $300,000 asking goons how to short the market this is a good one

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

thewalk posted:

If I believe that

1) trump losing the election = stock market drops as it rose when he was elected

2) in a few months the hospitals will have people dying in the hallways with nowhere to put them. Which will trigger shutdowns in some or all states

3) business bankruptcies will rise soon. which means more unemployment. More housing foreclosures, rental evictions

4) should I short the stock market then after the crash invest it?
1) The market didn't change course when Trump was elected.
2) Bad conditions and millions dead mean more stimulus money, most of which gets directed to stock owners. Net effect: stocks go up. :capitalism:
3) Businesses, at least the ones most people work for, don't go bankrupt like you're thinking of.
4) Yes, because you're an idiot, and I would love to see you lose your money.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Jack Daniels posted:

lol @ thread concept of guy with $300,000 asking goons how to short the market this is a good one

lol im not just asking on here. this forum has a unique crowd. I like to hear you guys screech in the noise theres useful info

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thewalk posted:

lol im not just asking on here. this forum has a unique crowd. I like to hear you guys screech in the noise theres useful info

Please keep posting here on your progress.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Would love to see your model and maybe kick in a few bucks. With customary management fee of course.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Did you know there is an infinite upside to buying calls but a limited profit potential for buying puts? This is why you do not buy puts because you will never make more money than "infinite".

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I mean the guy could sell calls and short the market that way? If he's wrong, at least he gets something for his money.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

op, i heard something about naked shorts once on an investment blog. It didn't make alot of sense to me because who wears shorts while naked?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There are DOZENS of us!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

But where on the bubble/curve are we? :confused:

Legos are square.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

thewalk posted:

Did we just get a "dance puppets" rebuttal? I haven't seen one in the wild in a while.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Dik Hz posted:

Did we just get a "dance puppets" rebuttal? I haven't seen one in the wild in a while.

Jack Daniels posted:

this is a good one

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'd like to short this thread's rating.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018
so a week into doing trades during the day I find out theres a 2 day settlement period on my trades. so I opened a brokering acct for day trading. with chase its 2.99 per trade but no settlement period so that should get the job done

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

thewalk posted:

so a week into doing trades during the day I find out theres a 2 day settlement period on my trades. so I opened a brokering acct for day trading. with chase its 2.99 per trade but no settlement period so that should get the job done

Now you're cooking with gas!

roadhead fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 27, 2020

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

roadhead posted:

Now you're cooking with gas!

margin trading here i come

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

betting against obvious market scams is easy and profitable, ask anyone who's bought TSLA puts in the last decade

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

shame on an IGA posted:

betting against obvious market scams is easy and profitable, ask anyone who's bought TSLA puts in the last decade

this sounds interesting can you explain?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

thewalk posted:

this sounds interesting can you explain?

TSLA won’t ever make enough money to justify its current valuation. This has been true for the past 6 years and continues to be true, but “stonk price go up bc Elon made a twweet’! He put car in SPace!! He likes Rick and Morty too!!” is apparently all the financial analysis you need to invest in TSLA in fuckin’ drooooves.

Everything is a bubble, yes, but TSLA is a bubble. Buying puts on it should be a no brainer but billions have been lost that way.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jack Daniels posted:

:laugh: forever god drat :d2a:

Gazpacho posted:

I'd like to short this thread's rating.

There are layers to the bad ideas and they're coming from within the thread whoa

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 29, 2020

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

jokes posted:

TSLA won’t ever make enough money to justify its current valuation. This has been true for the past 6 years and continues to be true, but “stonk price go up bc Elon made a twweet’! He put car in SPace!! He likes Rick and Morty too!!” is apparently all the financial analysis you need to invest in TSLA in fuckin’ drooooves.

Everything is a bubble, yes, but TSLA is a bubble. Buying puts on it should be a no brainer but billions have been lost that way.

I dont know enough about TSLA never making enough. elon portfolio of companies have a synergy and cutting edge ideas people are pricing in the overall concept of Musks companies. whether they are wrong is beyond me to say

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

thewalk posted:

I dont know enough about TSLA never making enough. elon portfolio of companies have a synergy and cutting edge ideas people are pricing in the overall concept of Musks companies. whether they are wrong is beyond me to say

Their market capital $279B. Toyota, an actually successful car company, is at $197B. Honda is $46B. Ford is $27B.

What does Tesla do that makes them "worth" more than those other three added together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
synergy and cutting edge ideas, it's right there in his post!!