Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

Lmao amazing, did you start that throw 90 degrees the other direction? I would love it if you could trace the theoretical flight path for that throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The albatross is speed 12/13 so they must have insane variability coming out of the molding process due to the size of the rim. I probably just got a good one. This one I got is more stable than a l64 diamond or a mamba, although sorta in that same class. I was throwing on a pretty severe hyzer and throwing nose-up kinda like a frisbee or an ultimate disc.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Big early morning disc golf with the guys on Sunday guy. I’m having a hard time working my release on the first couple holes and have been playing a course where that poor release could net me multiple stokes per hole. After that I’m a par shooter to +3 right now. Any suggestions for a quick warmup routine? I’ve started shooting calm discs like the crave and mako but I’ll still wing the poo poo out of it. This course is all hill for the first 4 and it might be an issue too.

https://www.pdga.com/course-directory/course/lake-fenwick

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
For releasing -> imho the most important thing is to have the straightest pull you can get. The straighter you pull the less variation in left/right release you'll have. If you watch someone with good form throw you'll see that releasing earlier or later is just putting the disc on two different points on the same straight line towards the basket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPEFyA_6FY

Releasing left/right of the desired line is hard to fix because its counter intuitive - the root cause for a lot of people isn't a timing issue or a grip issue, but in your legs and footwork. This is one of the videos that helped me a ton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrLCZfxdFwo

And this video is god tier king of them all. I just spent a year basically on this idea and it transformed my long game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkABag9I-4

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

Releasing left/right of the desired line is hard to fix because its counter intuitive - the root cause for a lot of people isn't a timing issue or a grip issue, but in your legs and footwork.

It's exactly this in my experience. Usuallly when I miss my lines (for me its yeeting the disc to the right on a RHBH) it's because I'm throwing with my arm instead of with my legs, if that makes any sense. If you muscle your throws with your arm it's very hard to to consistently get the disc where you want it go.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

For releasing -> imho the most important thing is to have the straightest pull you can get. The straighter you pull the less variation in left/right release you'll have. If you watch someone with good form throw you'll see that releasing earlier or later is just putting the disc on two different points on the same straight line towards the basket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPEFyA_6FY

Releasing left/right of the desired line is hard to fix because its counter intuitive - the root cause for a lot of people isn't a timing issue or a grip issue, but in your legs and footwork. This is one of the videos that helped me a ton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrLCZfxdFwo

And this video is god tier king of them all. I just spent a year basically on this idea and it transformed my long game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkABag9I-4

Feels way more natural to see this throw than the 'reach back hella far and pull through', thanks for this. Sounds like I should be stretching more too, get my hips moving before I run out there like a jabroni.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
P2 time, playing putters and mids only till my form is not dogshit

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Happy Fission Envy Day to all who celebrate

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Thanks. You made drunk-me order an aqua special edition one that I don't need. I don't even know about the plastic.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I snagged one of the Simon Lizotte Hexes that came out yesterday, it's fuckin nice

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I got one for a friend but I think I'll regret not getting one later one if they balloon in value. I did get his last discmania disc though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Giant pogs

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

NickRoweFillea posted:

I’ve got a couple Electron Envys. I need to try a Fission.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
No such thing as a bad Envy. I tried to get one of the Simon hexes but my FLDS was sold out immediately.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

No such thing as a bad Envy. I tried to get one of the Simon hexes but my FLDS was sold out immediately.

Owner of my store was saying he wouldn't be surprised if they could pay Simon's entire contact with the Hex sales alone, poo poo was gently caress HOT

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I just sent in my application to join the Dark Ace Disc Golf street team. Fingers crossed! Any of y’all got any brand partnerships?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

I just sent in my application to join the Dark Ace Disc Golf street team. Fingers crossed! Any of y’all got any brand partnerships?

Good luck! How does joining a disc golf team/being sponsored even like, work?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Is there a mold in the fairway driver range that has big fade and glide numbers, but doesn't seek the ground? I just want it to keep going left at relatively low speeds. Maybe physics doesn't work that way.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I would try your regular stable mid but get the domiest version possible. In my experience flat discs dump hyzer and domes add glide in a more subtle way that lets your disc keep most of its stability. Some molds deliberately try to be as flat as possible (aviar3, zone, harp etc), so those would be the exception to this rule. Wasps, buzz-os, truths, rocs, all have high dome versions out there but its tricky to get one online.

edit; oh you said fairway. Same thing applies but change my example discs. Slower discs have more time to go left and right, so if you want huge movement to the side go for a slower fairway like a speed 6 or 7 instead of a 9. Biggest dome you can find.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 25, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Some examples of the above description include Instinct, Magician, and Method immediately come to mind from Discmania. MD-3 is very glidey but less overstable. Lat 64’s Explorer. Dynamic Disc’s evader.

These are all in that mid-to-fairway gray area. I also think of a Harp, but that’s getting into the top of approach putter range.

Man I can’t wait for the snow to clear!

Edit: I also find taller rims (is that the word?) tend to glide more, like on the MD-3. Once that starts flattening out on drivers, the disc starts dumping hard and skipping at the end.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 25, 2023

no more books
Aug 4, 2011
The fairway driver I've seen that may work for you is the kastaplast kaxe. I don't actually have one but I've tried out a buddies and it's definitely overstable with a nice bit of of glide.

For me a star leopard still has a nice bit of fade, more than what you would expect from the flight numbers. I'm still pretty new with a very weak arm though

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Nice. Now I've got some Ideas. Yeah I run into a lot of dogleg holes and my teebird goes too straight, and my felon dies too early. I think I could get a Kaxe from my buddy.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Get an xcal or max and play the skip line.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

MVP resistor looks nice. Moarrr plastic

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Reminder: disc golf still rules and now it’s daylight savings and we can play more often.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Had a 108 foot throw in Sunday with, you guessed it, an Envy. Envy gang envy gang

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

Had a 108 foot throw in Sunday with, you guessed it, an Envy. Envy gang envy gang

I am pretty much throwing envy, zone, and hex on every shot I can. If I have some wide open space, I might chuck a wave or teebird3.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

If you love the envy and the hex, don’t sleep on Gateway’s Chief. Really incredible disc. Still overstable, but I find it less stable than the Envy and Hex for distance shots, especially if I put some power into it. Fell in love with it in sure grip soft, then bought it in diamond so it wouldn’t get so beat up. Probably my favorite disc in my bag.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ThePopeOfFun posted:

If you love the envy and the hex, don’t sleep on Gateway’s Chief. Really incredible disc. Still overstable, but I find it less stable than the Envy and Hex for distance shots, especially if I put some power into it. Fell in love with it in sure grip soft, then bought it in diamond so it wouldn’t get so beat up. Probably my favorite disc in my bag.

Ooh. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll take a look.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried out my new Spin the other day. What a weird and fun disc! I needed to clear an obstacle so I threw it flat, nose up. It just flew upwards, lost power, and fell straight down with zero fade.

I bought myself a proper bag for Christmas, an Axiom Voyager Lite. I like it, not too expensive and keeps upright on the ground. The real neat trick is having loops for a towel, because there's a lot of mud out around here.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

NFX posted:

I tried out my new Spin the other day. What a weird and fun disc! I needed to clear an obstacle so I threw it flat, nose up. It just flew upwards, lost power, and fell straight down with zero fade.

I bought myself a proper bag for Christmas, an Axiom Voyager Lite. I like it, not too expensive and keeps upright on the ground. The real neat trick is having loops for a towel, because there's a lot of mud out around here.

I bought the watermelon and it’s done me good for almost 2 years. That said I play once a week maybe and it’s getting ragged. Splitting at the water bottle seams and the Velcro isn’t what is was. Wish they made a better model with the same footprint.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

I bought the watermelon and it’s done me good for almost 2 years. That said I play once a week maybe and it’s getting ragged. Splitting at the water bottle seams and the Velcro isn’t what is was. Wish they made a better model with the same footprint.

I just love my shift. Don't want anything bigger or smaller. It is a bit tipsy on hills though.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

I carry a simple bag that fits 8 in the main compartment, 2 in the putter pocket and everything else needed for a fun round. Don't need much but it's nice to have a few options.

Going into this season I reworked my top end drivers in my bag. Still waiting for the field to dry out to try them, but I still have loads of work to put in to my putter and middie game right now. Everything up to my 7 speed Grackle I'm comfortable with and I know I can have a killer time on the course.

It's just fun to seem them fly.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just won a ThrowJoes giveaway for a sick dyed Envy. So psyched

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Confirming Par Plastic mystery boxes are good, varied and rad.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

Confirming Par Plastic mystery boxes are good, varied and rad.

lots of kasta?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

headcase posted:

lots of kasta?

Might be Lots, might be Falk or Stal or Gote.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Muir posted:

Might be Lots, might be Falk or Stal or Gote.

as long as it's not a big box of kaxe

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
The most inside of joke.

Yeah its mostly Kasta and MVP. But they really did listen to the wants as far as speed, weight and color went. All pink or red, all over 170g and everything under 5 speed. V. cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no more books
Aug 4, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Just won a ThrowJoes giveaway for a sick dyed Envy. So psyched

Nice. I just lost my envy and I'm missing it dearly. Left it on a baseball field after doing some fieldwork.

I'm getting more serious about disc golf and trying to look for some local tournaments or groups to play with. Is everything generally on facebook? I just tried to make an account and got permanently banned because I guess I had an account I forgot about with a different last name (made it a long time ago for buying used backpacking gear, which is also all on facebook for some dumb reason). Are there like, PDGA forums or something that I can look at so I don't have to appeal this facebook ban?