Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
My boss said I could leave work early yesterday but only if I went to play a round with him. But then I went to play my weekly after work game with the guys. Turns out two rounds in one day is one too many rounds. Glad I picked up a shoulder strap ice pack. Whew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I will say it's a pet peeve of mine when folks bend the rules to the point that it's beyond the spirit of fair play. None of my group are serious about the sport, but to me that's just more reason to adhere to the rules when possible and practical. Examples of this rule-bending are falling putts that are obviously within the circle, moving a live branch out of the way to make the shot easier, or playing an obviously out-of-bounds disc from where it lies versus just taking the penalty. If you're going to do that stuff, at least don't keep score. Hdip, I'm not addressing you directly, just bitching about people who claim to not give a poo poo about their score, but who will claim a par because "that chain-out was bullshit."

If you need to take casual relief so that you're not standing in an ant hill or poison ivy, go for it. Throw a second disc every now and then if it's just you and the boys out for a casual round. Courtesy violations are tolerated (or even welcomed, am I right fellas??).

Our favorite heckle is to crack a beer during someone's run-up. Highly recommended.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dr Intergalactic posted:

My boss said I could leave work early yesterday but only if I went to play a round with him. But then I went to play my weekly after work game with the guys. Turns out two rounds in one day is one too many rounds. Glad I picked up a shoulder strap ice pack. Whew.

I haven't been able to make it out too much this year but once you get a solid week or two of rounds in you'll be able to do 36 no problem.

BTW the world record for holes completed in 24 hours is 2,900.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

cage-free egghead posted:

What the gently caress

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

Ew

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
No offense taken. The people I'm playing with have no issues with it. And if they did, well then, they're 5 and 7 and I can tell them I brought them into this world and I can take them out! :) I also usually end up calling it a day after 8-ish holes and having to give a piggy back ride off the course.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Easychair Bootson posted:

Our favorite heckle is to crack a beer during someone's run-up. Highly recommended.

:hmmyes: *takes notes*

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Easychair Bootson posted:

I will say it's a pet peeve of mine when folks bend the rules to the point that it's beyond the spirit of fair play. None of my group are serious about the sport, but to me that's just more reason to adhere to the rules when possible and practical. Examples of this rule-bending are ... playing an obviously out-of-bounds disc from where it lies versus just taking the penalty ...

Now see this one I take issue with. The course we normally play is full of thick rear end bushes, and we're pretty terrible so it's pretty common somebody winds up in there. While dropping out for a penalty is fine, playing it where it lies Happy Gilmore style is encouraged.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The opposite side of the rule is my normal course, which has 18 holes crammed very densely with almost no bushes at all, so there are multiple holes where throwing from out of bounds is clearly better than taking the penalty.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

The opposite side of the rule is my normal course, which has 18 holes crammed very densely with almost no bushes at all, so there are multiple holes where throwing from out of bounds is clearly better than taking the penalty.

But landing out of bounds means you take a penalty stroke, even if you throw from the lie or wind it back to where it went OB.

I did just call out a friend because he was step putting within Circle 1 all the time and I felt like a total dick about it lol

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

PittTheElder posted:

Now see this one I take issue with. The course we normally play is full of thick rear end bushes, and we're pretty terrible so it's pretty common somebody winds up in there. While dropping out for a penalty is fine, playing it where it lies Happy Gilmore style is encouraged.

So the bushes are OB but you guys play them as in bounds given the "natural penalty" of having to throw out of the nasty stuff? I'm cool with that as long as it's consistent. What gets my goat is when someone is having a good round and gets a bad break with a disc going OB and decides to play it as in-bounds to avoid the blemish on the scorecard (which they claim they don't care about anyway).

My usual group plays lost, [presumably] in-bounds discs this way. If someone throws one deep in the brush and it can't be found, he'll just play from where everybody agrees the disc should be rather than hiking back to the teepad for a rethrow and penalty. I mean, isn't losing your disc enough of a punishment?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

But landing out of bounds means you take a penalty stroke, even if you throw from the lie or wind it back to where it went OB.

Yeah, I'm saying on our regular course it's often much easier to approach from out of bounds than it is to bring it back on so there's no reason to expect people to bring it back in any situation which kind of sucks. I should have worded it different, by penalty I meant just having to bring it back onto the course is essentially another penalty on top of the stroke.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 11, 2020

jonastheed
Feb 14, 2007
boners > boobies

I did just call out a friend because he was step putting within Circle 1 all the time and I felt like a total dick about it lol
So I’m pretty much a disc golf noob but what even is this? I have no idea what step putting is, what circle 1 is, or why it wouldn’t be allowed.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

jonastheed posted:

So I’m pretty much a disc golf noob but what even is this? I have no idea what step putting is, what circle 1 is, or why it wouldn’t be allowed.

Circle 1 is the imaginary (or real, depending on the course) circle extending out from the basket 33 feet. If you are putting within that 33 ft circle, you are not allowed to step forward or jump as you putt. Also, you must "demonstrate balance" after the disc has left your hand or you could be called for a foot fault. So, if say, a player is putting from a knee behind a tree in that 33 ft circle and they take their putt and fall over as they are releasing it, they would be assessed a foot fault and given a stroke. Outside of that circle, you can step or jump as you are releasing the disc in order to give it a little more oomph or height. The disc must be released from your hand before you make your jump or step.

edit: link that explains this all better than I can https://discgolfnow.com/what-is-the-circle-in-disc-golf/

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 13, 2020

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!
Witnessed my first ace tonight. Got paired with the best player in our group and he stepped up and aced hole 1 of our round. Fun times. It was his second ace, his first coming yesterday. Crazy.

Focusing more on form and getting cleaner drives as a result. Feels good! Field work is next I guess.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I was out fishing in my kayak this morning at the same place where our usual disc golf spot is. My friends decided to play so I joined them, even though I only had a few random discs in my truck, none of which are a part of my usual bag. Long story short, I hit my second ever ace. Did it with a 167gr Innova Starfire that a friend gave me. I was so shocked I didn't know how to react, but it was fun.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
There was a pretty big tournament that tied up five of the nicer local courses last weekend so I looked for a place a little off the beaten path to play. I found a pretty new short course that was par 52 course with only a couple holes over 200' feet.

Not only is it super close to my house but I haven't smiled so much playing disc golf in a long time. There are 2 par 2 holes that can really punish your scorecard if you don't play them safely but the rest of the course is just fun. A few mid range discs and some putters is all you need. There are enough tress to keep things interesting and I can't wait to get back to the longer course to see how much better my upshots will be. I can do all 18 in 30 minutes so I play it twice most days and have really started to dial in my form and understand how the discs in my bag fly.

Other than the weekend the course has been empty and I think it is possible to create a nice 9 hole course by teeing off to different baskets.

TLDR- field work sucks, find a short course.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Shortly after playing my best game yet (+2 on 18 w/ 3 birdies) I got a fuckin puppy and haven't played since. But the pup is being trained to only eat his disc and not my discs so that one day he can accompany us onto the course.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
In the world of controversy, the founders of Innova unwaveringly support Joshua Anthon after he murdered a person and is in hot water for having a "white pride" tattoo.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2020/09/29/anthon-white-pride-tattoo-sparks-new-backlash-innova-boycott

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

In the world of controversy, the founders of Innova unwaveringly support Joshua Anthon after he murdered a person and is in hot water for having a "white pride" tattoo.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2020/09/29/anthon-white-pride-tattoo-sparks-new-backlash-innova-boycott

please ignore the swastika i have tattooed on me - i got it to honor my dead uncle

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.
What a weak sauce answer, I throw mostly Innova drivers cause of their cheap misprints but I'll start experimenting with replacements as I lose the ones I have.

I was planning school disc golf club this spring before the end of the world, we decided to try it as a mostly pandemic safe club this fall so I've been playing a lot of realllllllllly slow rounds at local 9-hole courses. I've got a couple naturals and a couple who decided to buy their own discs to bring with (Mystere, Destroyer, Tern) so I'll probably pass along some of my personal worn out putters at the last club event. I've learned who actually wants to play and starting sending them out on their own and keeping the little ones who need to be reminded on every. single. throw. to stand behind whoever is throwing with my group. I should play with kids more often cause they are super impressed with my 200 foot putter drives.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So I finally went out for a round and was lucky enough to play the course with another first time player and one of the old timers who was able to show us the actual basket locations and stuff. I enjoyed it and I can definitely see myself getting out some more. Thanks thread!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Always pay your ace funds. Hit two in the last 6 weeks.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Had a few firsts today. Actually hit par on two holes and even had a really good putt on one. Also lost my first disc in a tall bush that was taller than me and it's lost forever now probably. On the plus side thats one less Innova in my bag and can be replaced with a not Innova.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Innova is dope. Discmania is dope. Most manufacturers are dope. Companies make like 75% the same discs with a few signature discs for each brand. Why you don't like Innova?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Scroll up like 3 posts

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Anton is getting his white pride tattoo covered. There was an announcement from Innova (the same day as #respecthergame came out) What else can he do?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's a personal decision of mine so not worth a derail.
What IS worth a derail is this special Halloween edition Buzzz I saw while looking up replacements.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

net work error posted:

It's a personal decision of mine so not worth a derail.
What IS worth a derail is this special Halloween edition Buzzz I saw while looking up replacements.

I picked up one of them glow boys

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Oh are we doing dumb disc purchases now?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/671524716355256341/768217806596472862/IMG_20201020_165512507_HDR.jpg

I present to you something, I'll never ever turn over.

Henron fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 27, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Those discs own, especially that Glow Buzz

With the pup now acclimated to commands (as much as a 5 month old dog can be) I have been able to get him to to the disc golf course a few times and he has learned not to play with the discs. He will chase them to the ground if you let him but he gets treats if he just sniffs them without picking them up, and he only touched one disc on 9 holes today. Excellent.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My buzzz came in and I knew it was a day-glo one but didn't think I'd get the Halloween one.

I feel like this is too neat to throw and I'd feel bad losing or dinging it up.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

ooooh that wonderbread foil is sexy. I got one of these in a Discraft black friday misprint box last year. Way too pretty to throw.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Someone found the disc I lost and texted me about it and I was able to pick it up from the course on my lunch break. Putting your number on your discs was a pro tip.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

net work error posted:

Putting your number on your discs was a pro tip.

I've found maybe 6 discs this fall (I spend ALOT of time in the rough) The two with numbers got returned, the four blank ones got added to my bag. It only takes a secound to mark your poo poo...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The courses are absolutely fine this time of year :discourse:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Does this count as a made putt?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

net work error posted:

Does this count as a made putt?

Nope! Disc has to be laying in the basket or caught in the chains. My home course has Mach baskets and this happens to me more than it should....

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Karma! Did a very long course today (almost 4 miles beginning to end!) and returned a lost disc. For my reward I got my first ever Par on at 18 hole course :thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Different kind of hazard today