Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
After a few days of unplayable weather I got back on the driving range and course today. It was a bit chilly (like 55ish) but the sun was out.

The next town over has a mini disc golf course and a disc golf driving range that share a parking lot. The driving range has two tee pads and is mostly flat with distance signs out to 650 feet. This is my secound day of really trying to work on my drives. The first time I had 20 discs out, some stuff that was way too fast for me. This time I focused on ten discs between a speed of 5 and 7 to try and work on my form. I seem to be stuck at 200. I'm pretty happy with the grouping but not much got further than 225'. I'm trying to follow Page Peirce and Dan Beto's guide but I'm having a hell of a time getting everything to time out correctly.

I did get my first ace on Thanksgiving day, it was on a 133' hole but it was still awesome. I had hit chains and rimmed out on a few other holes at that course so it felt good to land one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sound_man posted:

After a few days of unplayable weather I got back on the driving range and course today. It was a bit chilly (like 55ish) but the sun was out.

The next town over has a mini disc golf course and a disc golf driving range that share a parking lot. The driving range has two tee pads and is mostly flat with distance signs out to 650 feet. This is my secound day of really trying to work on my drives. The first time I had 20 discs out, some stuff that was way too fast for me. This time I focused on ten discs between a speed of 5 and 7 to try and work on my form. I seem to be stuck at 200. I'm pretty happy with the grouping but not much got further than 225'. I'm trying to follow Page Peirce and Dan Beto's guide but I'm having a hell of a time getting everything to time out correctly.

I did get my first ace on Thanksgiving day, it was on a 133' hole but it was still awesome. I had hit chains and rimmed out on a few other holes at that course so it felt good to land one.

Hell yeah! Nice job! An ace is an ace, no matter the length. My first and only one came on a 95ft hole my first year, now I'm coming onto year 4 and I've been close a few times since. Even chained out of a 300ft skipper just a few months ago. That felt good.

200ft was a huge hurdle for me, mostly because I was trying to muscle the disc too much or because of rounding. You should also check out Drew Gibson's channel, I think he has a lot of great pointers when it comes to form. And of course loopghost for a huge library of learning. Simon Lizotte also has interesting content along with some informative stuff too. You'll get there!

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Sound_man posted:

I'm in the exact same spot with my drive. Realizing that I needed to throw lower speed discs to get my form right was the best thing I've done for my game so far. The timing of everything is truly the hardest part. Congrats on the ace, still chasing my first. Keep it up! (not the nose though)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm finding that my shots are rising way too much when I drive. Does anyone have any tips to try and stay low? I'd also be interested in knowing more about where my feet should be pointing on drives.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Feet face about 90 degrees from your target. Also make your front foot staggered with your back one, so that your back toes line up with your heels of the front one

Also try throwing with a nose down angle on the disc. You're likely rounding a bit and pulling on an upward angle so keep an eye out for that too. Definitely film yourself throwing from a few angles to really help visualize it from a different perspective.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

In addition to rounding, Failing to follow through is also a big part of discs going high, as well as letting your weight stay on your back foot instead of shifting it to your front.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.

net work error posted:

I'm finding that my shots are rising way too much when I drive. Does anyone have any tips to try and stay low? I'd also be interested in knowing more about where my feet should be pointing on drives.

Adjusting your grip might also help if adjusting your footwork and follow through doesn't get you the results you want. Someone described their wrist angle as "pouring coffee" and that definitely helped me get the nose of the disc at the right angle. Also messing with too much different stuff at once can really gently caress you up so don't listen to all three of us at the same time.

Happy new year disc golf thread, several of the events I like to play didn't happen this year but I didn't get covid (yet) and I'll be around to play them next year.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Played my first big course today (21 holes) with a few par 5's. Beside being absolutely massive it was pretty cool to really try and throw far.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

The Minnesota tournament scene is nuts this year, big local spring events are filling in minutes on disc golf scene. Even little C-Tiers are filling in days unless you travel out to the rural parts of the state. I can't even imagine how busy it will get this summer. A few locals are talking about creating a flood of new C-Tier tournaments to try to meet the demand, but I guess we successfully Grew the Sport so well during the pandemic that the flood of new competitive players is overwhelming.

I got 2 birdies today on 219 and 245 foot holes. It was above zero degrees for the first time in 2 weeks. Good day.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

fociP posted:

The Minnesota tournament scene is nuts this year, big local spring events are filling in minutes on disc golf scene. Even little C-Tiers are filling in days unless you travel out to the rural parts of the state. I can't even imagine how busy it will get this summer. A few locals are talking about creating a flood of new C-Tier tournaments to try to meet the demand, but I guess we successfully Grew the Sport so well during the pandemic that the flood of new competitive players is overwhelming.

I got 2 birdies today on 219 and 245 foot holes. It was above zero degrees for the first time in 2 weeks. Good day.

Here my homies won't play if it's under 50 :mad:

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

One of local TDs delivers mail, they closed the post office for cold temps and high winds two years ago so he went out in -29 F weather to shoot a round.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not a bad score for Woodcrest either!

I am completely out of the loop on MN tournaments after deleting Facebook and I’m still mulling over if I want to get a membership or not, who knows how long it’ll be until most people are vaccinated.

Would also loveeeee if they could hold another major somewhere with public viewing. Would have been fun to watch Niko win at the Preserve last year.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Played for the first time again in month and had the worst round I've ever had. At least the course wasn't busy I guess.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Had time off yesterday and took some time to go just play and not keep track of score. I ended up playing each hole throwing backhand and forehand and found myself getting less frustrated when throwing forehand so lets hear those forehand throwing tips and tricks.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
This local guy has a good video. He's a math teacher so good at teaching I'd say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfD3oLMoKI

Also I've been reading a pitching book someone recommended me. Once I started thinking about hip/shoulder separation more my forehand is getting better. Haven't been doing it too much because I tried to throw some hard the other day and hurt myself.

Final tip I overheard. Puff your chest out at the end. It was told as kind of like pushing a football practice sled (which I've never done) but the whole idea of getting your chest up and out also helps.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone have good shoe recommendations?

Finally deciding to wear something a little nicer than just "old sneakers that have been retired from gym/running use" and get some dedicated ones (also because said last pair of old sneakers finally bought the farm.)

I've tried several trail running shoes, including a couple Altra models and several from Adidas and I think something else can't remember what.

But every single one has been too small/tight in the ball of the foot area. Or, more specifically, the top of the ball area? If that makes sense? My foot is wide at that point of my foot, and I guess my foot is TALL as well because the one or two sizes that weren't too narrow weren't tall/high enough and the "lace" area on top was too tight and constricting, literally like it was pushing down on my (apparently) fat foot.

I normally wear a 10-10.5, and these "trail runners" are the only shoes I've ever tried on that seem to run so narrow and short. I went up to a 12 in one model and it was still too tight (and also too long.)

So any brands/models that are a little wider and taller than most? Or should I give up on a lighter runner model and just get big ol' clonky hiking boots?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

So any brands/models that are a little wider and taller than most? Or should I give up on a lighter runner model and just get big ol' clonky hiking boots?

I have some Oboz, I'd say there is plenty of room in the ball of the foot and they're the most durable of this stye of shoe I've ever had vs Salomon, Adidas, Columbias. The ones I got are $145 though and most of their line looks pretty technical but they have some low waterproof ones that look mostly like normal trail-ish shoes. https://obozfootwear.com/products/mens-sypes-low-waterproof I did have a hot spot on the top of my plant foot over the ball but it turned out the tongue had a little extra fold in it that got overlooked in QA, once I smoothed it out it went away (and stopped tying that part of the shoe so drat tight, now I only snug them tight higher up on my foot in general on any shoes, feet are much happier.)

My other tip is though: Just wear normal sneakers and save the waterproof trail runners for when it's actually wet outside.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 2, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

unbuttonedclone posted:

My other tip is though: Just wear normal sneakers and save the waterproof trail runners for when it's actually wet outside.

Well it's spring in Vermont, so that's gonna be a while.

Currently only a couple places around are open, and they're free courses, which is nice, but because of that less maintenance, especially the tee boxes. Giant mud pits, very little to no gravel, certainly not concrete.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well it's spring in Vermont, so that's gonna be a while.

Currently only a couple places around are open, and they're free courses, which is nice, but because of that less maintenance, especially the tee boxes. Giant mud pits, very little to no gravel, certainly not concrete.

I think they sell those Oboz at REI, I would go check them out. They have an aggressive tread, but not too aggressive for concrete when you use those kinda pads. And when you do, the sole has barely "ground" down at all from throwing.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Are there known supply chain issues for manufacturers or is there another reason I can't find a replacement for my dearly departed Maverick (eaten by forest)

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Most manufacturers are struggling to keep up with demand because 2020 was an extremely good year for disc golf as a sport and demand for discs spiked dramatically.

Also re: shoe talk, I've found that the Merrell Trail Glove sneakers have been a huge boon to my footwork and general comfort level on the course while also protecting me from some of the more gnarly portions of courses.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Are there known supply chain issues for manufacturers or is there another reason I can't find a replacement for my dearly departed Maverick (eaten by forest)

Ugh, yeah I'm trying to get a replacement Lucid Thief and nada. I have one now, but it's starting to get dinged up from trees, plus if I lose it I lose one of my favorite discs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Welp, turns out the Thief was actually discontinued back in 2019, of all things. I only recently have started to keep up with DG news, so no surprise I don't learn of it then.

Now to find what the closest replacement would be. I have an Escape, that's similar, it's 9 5 -1 2, Thief is 8 5 -1.5 2

I REALLY like that -1.5 turn/stability, there's a lot of shots I take with the Thief, mostly forehand, that I have perfected on it's flight path. Guess I'll have to start throwing the Escape more to learn it instead.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I really like tracking my rounds via UDisc and have done so almost religiously since 2017 which is when I really started playing more. I’ll always try to be score keeper so I can use the “full stats” option for my round.

One thing I’ve noticed is my C1X putting has slumped considerably since then but my scores have also dropped which confused me. Then a friend mentioned that it’s likely from getting more birdie chances with those putts than putting for par or worse so the pressure is down.

Now every time I get a putt for birdie it just makes me think more about how I’m missing birdie putts and it’s a whole deal.

One thing I wish UDisc did was let someone else keep score for everyone, but merge the stats from someone else. I’ve got a few friends who’ll load up the app before I do, and others who do “full stats” too so it kinda sucks you have to segment a group like that.

Edit: looks like UDisc is adding a feature that will work with everyone in your group called CardCast haha

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 14, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ultimate player here. I was playing disc golf the other day with an Ultrastar as I've done very occasionally before, and after outdriving some actual disc golf players off the tee, they asked me how far I could throw a disc golf disc. I said I had no idea because I've never done it, so the dude reached in his bag and gave me a Buzzz and a Leopard3. I thought he just wanted to see how far I could throw it but he told me to keep them, so that was pretty cool. He did get to see me throw it once... which curved about 100 feet to the left due to the extreme difference in how I usually would throw an Ultrastar.

Anyway, I took them out to a soccer field today to try to see if I can rip one actually straight, and managed a nice 135 yard... err I guess you guys measure in feet for some reason... 405 foot one for my longest throw. Maybe a bit wind-aided. I probably averaged closer to 330-350 feet with the Leopard. 300 with the Buzzz.

And that is how far I can throw a disc golf disc. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
That’s awesome! How do you like playing it versus ultimate? I’ve only been frolfing for like 5 years and finally broke 300ft consistently lol.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I suppose unsurprisingly I find tee shots fun and interesting. And trying to put it in the basket with my approach shot. Putting I could pretty much leave entirely, like, my approach made it to 20 feet out? Ok cool, next hole.

If we're doing real talk, I actually kind of dislike how there is a disc for every situation. Of course, you have to have the skill to make the disc do what it's supposed to do. But try playing with an Ultrastar! If you want the disc to go in a certain direction, you better drat well MAKE it go in that direction, not just pull out your disc that fades at the end because this hole curves, or your best roller disc because this hole has a flat fairway. Ok, I get it, that's kind of the point, I never said I wasn't biased.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is the Innova Sonic like an Ultrastar? There’s a pretty top player that uses one pretty regularly. I don’t think I’ve thrown a frisbee of any kind since I picked up disc golf disc haha

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Disc golf fuckin' owns. While I've had the innova starter set for like 2 years, this summer I've finally been bitten by the bug. Solid 5 weeks of going out every weekend to play with friends. Even if I have a bad round, I'm still just throwing disc with friends in the woods, so a good time.

I really suck at putting, getting better, but often I'll miss from 20 feet out and my disc ends up past the basket 20 feet out again, which is maddening. Drives are inconsistent at best, 1 in every 10 I'll actually do everything right and get some decent distance. I really should just practice more but oh well. Right now I'm content with a bogey round. Hit my pars when I can, and try not to double or triple bogey.

This weekend will be my first time going out with a larger group. There's gonna be 6 of us, all different skill levels. I'm sure we'll be letting a lot of people play through. But I'm real excited. Just want to throw disc

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Disc golf fuckin' owns. While I've had the innova starter set for like 2 years, this summer I've finally been bitten by the bug. Solid 5 weeks of going out every weekend to play with friends. Even if I have a bad round, I'm still just throwing disc with friends in the woods, so a good time.

I really suck at putting, getting better, but often I'll miss from 20 feet out and my disc ends up past the basket 20 feet out again, which is maddening. Drives are inconsistent at best, 1 in every 10 I'll actually do everything right and get some decent distance. I really should just practice more but oh well. Right now I'm content with a bogey round. Hit my pars when I can, and try not to double or triple bogey.

This weekend will be my first time going out with a larger group. There's gonna be 6 of us, all different skill levels. I'm sure we'll be letting a lot of people play through. But I'm real excited. Just want to throw disc

Awesome. Sometimes I want to get good and practice a lot, sometimes I just wanna go goof off and throw discs.

It takes a while to find a putting stroke that works for you. Try adjusting your grip different ways. Also make sure your follow through is pointing at the basket and use your brain to visualize hitting one individual link. Helps a lot.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Throw for show, putt for dough. I think putting is the reason why my game hasn’t improved too much over the years. I can max out at like 325-350ft for driving, but still have issues with two or three putting within C1, which is a huge killer.

Hosted some friends this weekend and we put on about 30 miles of walking, played 7 different courses and over 100 holes. I should have counted how much liquids I put down lol

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Local park with disc golf has a wide open field right by the parking area/1st hole, so I try to show up early and get some practice in. Same plan for Saturday.

I've improved my putting after doing the so-called Granny Shot. Standing with legs straddled, facing right at the basket, and sort of dipping down, popping up while lobbing the disc more than throwing it. It feels loving weird and wrong, but it loving works. I've also been told that I have "a serious nose-up problem" which is costing me much distance, so that's something I can work on before Saturday.

I've just been hit by the bug hard and honestly, after like a year and a half it's just fuckin' fun to be out there with friends, even if I suck poo poo and every disc stalls out 200 ft from the tee pad.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Had the best round of my life and threw 2 under*

Alright, so there were 8 of us, and we played doubles. My partner and I were on fire. When one of us missed, the other picked up the slack. It was amazing. It's awesome to have your partner hit a decent but safe shot, giving you free reign to Go For It. Very competitive through all 21, but we still lost by 1 all down to the last basket because one friend loving NAILED the drive through some crazy trees.

First time using my cart, too. It's just a folding cart like the bus grandmas use, with a little disc rack up top that I put together real quick at the shop. (emphasis on real quick. Don't look too close at my ugly-rear end welds). It was great being able to hold discs, bug spray, sunscreen, beverages, snacks, towels, trash, and everything for all 8 of us in one spot.

Overall it was an awesome time.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I may have bought some discs. And a basket…

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Doubles can be fun as hell

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Elysium posted:

I may have bought some discs. And a basket…

Don't be shy about posting pictures, now.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Doubles can be fun as hell

If I could swing it all the time, it would be my preferred way to play.

On sadder news, one of only 2 courses within an hour of me is closing for good. It was a private course, and the landowner sold it suddenly to put a solar panel array. They've been told they have til the end of June to clear out. So my now only course is about to get pretty crowded, unless I feel like traveling past/through NYC. Which wouldn't be the worst, but a quick morning round becomes a day trip.

Anyone have experience doing a guerilla course? Taking a portable basket and sort of making your own hole at a park and such? Seems the next most viable thing for my friends and me. Could be a different kind of fun all its own, deciding where to put the basket, what obstacles, where to tee off, etc. Then just doing it all over again for a new hole

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35PJikJcPs

With out giving too much away this year's World championship is getting mainstream attention and is worth your time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yep. That might be one of the greatest sports moments I’ve ever seen, and I saw the butt fumble live.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Just got done watching, gotta third the recommend, don't sleep on this tournament I know the boys in the booth have to bluff about not knowing what's about to happen, but this was all time lol

Have to ask-- what on earth was the butt fumble? e: nevermind, I looked it up, I initially thought it was a disc golf thing because of the thread

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

That was a wild fuckin' finish.

Went and played this weekend and got to implement my crown marker for the first time. Whoever wins a hole gets to use this mini marker until someone else beats them on a hole. Meant to add a little fun competition, and I had some pieces of scrap around at work with some time on my hands.

Downside is the thing weighs like a pound and a half. Heavy is the crown, I guess.