Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone have good shoe recommendations?

Finally deciding to wear something a little nicer than just "old sneakers that have been retired from gym/running use" and get some dedicated ones (also because said last pair of old sneakers finally bought the farm.)

I've tried several trail running shoes, including a couple Altra models and several from Adidas and I think something else can't remember what.

But every single one has been too small/tight in the ball of the foot area. Or, more specifically, the top of the ball area? If that makes sense? My foot is wide at that point of my foot, and I guess my foot is TALL as well because the one or two sizes that weren't too narrow weren't tall/high enough and the "lace" area on top was too tight and constricting, literally like it was pushing down on my (apparently) fat foot.

I normally wear a 10-10.5, and these "trail runners" are the only shoes I've ever tried on that seem to run so narrow and short. I went up to a 12 in one model and it was still too tight (and also too long.)

So any brands/models that are a little wider and taller than most? Or should I give up on a lighter runner model and just get big ol' clonky hiking boots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

unbuttonedclone posted:

My other tip is though: Just wear normal sneakers and save the waterproof trail runners for when it's actually wet outside.

Well it's spring in Vermont, so that's gonna be a while.

Currently only a couple places around are open, and they're free courses, which is nice, but because of that less maintenance, especially the tee boxes. Giant mud pits, very little to no gravel, certainly not concrete.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Are there known supply chain issues for manufacturers or is there another reason I can't find a replacement for my dearly departed Maverick (eaten by forest)

Ugh, yeah I'm trying to get a replacement Lucid Thief and nada. I have one now, but it's starting to get dinged up from trees, plus if I lose it I lose one of my favorite discs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Welp, turns out the Thief was actually discontinued back in 2019, of all things. I only recently have started to keep up with DG news, so no surprise I don't learn of it then.

Now to find what the closest replacement would be. I have an Escape, that's similar, it's 9 5 -1 2, Thief is 8 5 -1.5 2

I REALLY like that -1.5 turn/stability, there's a lot of shots I take with the Thief, mostly forehand, that I have perfected on it's flight path. Guess I'll have to start throwing the Escape more to learn it instead.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Had barely been out all summer, other life stuff in the way, but went out this afternoon to a little par 3 course after work with friends...and not only had one of my worst rounds (+25 on a par 3...) But also got bit by a spider, AND lost one of my favorite discs.

It was a Thief...and they don't make them anymore.

But not going to let that get me down... Because I also discovered that course had a few mushroom foraging spots...a few porcinis on hole 4, and a couple chanterelles on hole...6.

Plus there's some goats in an open meadow that sort of serves as a "nexus" for like 5 of the holes, and it's always nice to see cute animals.