Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/ee7Cj1e.mp4

Hello friends! Welcome to the TGO Disc Golf Thread. ITT We will discuss one of the finest sports games activities The Great Outdoorstm has to offer. This OP will serve as a brief explainer of the game and provide some basic resources, and hopefully after that we can continue the discussion on where & how to best throw discs into trees while enjoying a walk in the woods and a cold beer with friends.

https://i.imgur.com/SSxCvFi.mp4
Disc Golf aka Frolf aka The People's Golf is fundamentally the same game as Golf, minus all the bullshit that comes with Golf. The 2 biggest differences are that Disc Golf is played with discs, instead of balls and clubs, and the goal is to throw the discs into raised baskets instead of a hole in the ground. The cost of entry is incredibly low (<$40), courses are accessible and community driven, and the game is both very relaxed and incredibly challenging at the same time. You can buy one set of discs and get years worth of entertainment all over the world out of them without ever dropping another dime into it. Like Golf, drinking beer is a fundamental element of the sport and your extra discs make an excellent place to rest your beer while you throw.

The Rules are drat near the same as golf: You throw your first disc from a tee, which is usually a concrete pad, and attempt to reach the basket in as few throws as possible. Each subsequent throw is thrown from wherever your last disc landed. Baskets have pars, and your score is however many over or under the par you throw for each hole. Technically there are more rules than that, but frankly they don't matter and you can learn the rest as you go.

Disc Golf Courses are mostly located on public land and tend to be much more rugged than Golf courses. They more often than not have no fee to play & are usually maintained by a local community of golfers They range from 9 to 36 holes and range wildly from sweeping open vistas with maintained grass, to heavily forested trails with baskets scattered throughout. IMO the best disc golf courses are the ones that feel like you get to both go hiking and play disc golf at the same time. Thankfully, this is most courses. Below is a picture of one of my buddies teeing off in Breckenridge, CO. Tell me this doesn't look like a wonderful way to spend a day:

In golf, you have one ball that you hit with a variety of clubs. In Disc Golf, you have a variety of discs that you throw, each with its own weight, shape, and flying characteristics. But they aren't Frisbees! They're smaller, denser, and shaped somewhere between a Frisbee and an Olympic-style Discus disc. There are 3 main styles of discs, and a rating system used to explain each disc's flight characteristics.

Drivers & Fairway Drivers
Designed to be thrown as far as possible, the Driver is usually the first disc you throw on each hole. The fly best when thrown hard and are usually the most specialized of the discs. When throwing these, you're really leaning on the characteristics of the disc to help it land where you want it to. Fairway drivers are very similar to Drivers, but they usually lean a little more in favor of control instead of raw distance.

Mid-Range / Approach
Designed to be thrown a reasonable distance with great accuracy. Unless you're playing a fairly long hole, your second shot is usually done with your mid-range disc. If you were going to buy one single disc and never use another, you'd buy a mid-range. In fact, some professionals recommend beginners learn to drive well with their mid-range disc before even touching a driver.

Putter
It's like a mini Frisbee. Your putter is shaped to fly as straight as possible for a short distance, so you can sink those putts and hear the beautiful sound of the chains.

DISC RATINGS
Disc Golf Discs have a frankly unreasonably weird rating system and despite playing for years I still regularly have to reference what the numbers are for each rating. Instead of typing it out, I will just post Innova's explanation:

Where do I buy Discs?
You can get basic discs at most sporting goods stores, and I would encourage you to seek out stores in your area that actually dedicate space & knowledge to disc golf. Not only will they help you pick out the right disc, they usually have the coolest selection of discs. I was on vacation in Asheville, NC a few years ago on May 4th, and the local sport shop was carrying a few Star Wars discs to celebrate, which ruled. Check out this sweet disc:

You think Dicks is gonna have custom Star Wars discs? Hell naw. If you don't have access to a store with discs, then there are tons of online retailers. Try to buy from actual stores and not Amazon.

BRANDS
Innova and Disc Craft are the two big ones, but there are tons of others. I wouldn't stress the brand of the disc at all, honestly.

JUST TELL ME WHAT DISCS TO BUY
OK, you could get a Disc Craft Buzz and an Innova Aviar , never buy another disc again, and throw happy for the rest of your life.

EASY:
https://i.imgur.com/qAAT8pD.mp4

J/K. Throwing discs far and accurately is very challenging. Though there is some skill transfer from being able to throw a Frisbee, the fundamentals motion is pretty different. I will post three videos below to cover the 3 main types of throws you'll be making. Back Hand, Forehand, and putt:

Back Hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgn6Os4YSW0

Forehand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC2EzKvM3bo

Putt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4spUSMi6xm0

The best advice I ever got as a beginner was this:
Don't try to throw the disc far. Just try to get it to land where you want on the fairway. Once you can reliably get it to land where you want, then try to throw just a little further. Just repeat that as time goes on and you'll get better. If you try to throw far at first you're just going to end up shanking your disc into the woods and that's funny once or twice but 18 times in a row can be infuriating.

PDGA and Disc Golf Course Review are the two main resources for finding courses. I love DGCR and often it's the best place to find out current course conditions and realistic takes on the pros and cons of each course. Facebook, despite being horrible, is also often a good resource for information on local courses. I almost always travel with 2-3 discs in my bag because there are courses everywhere and it can be a great way to get outside the tourist bubble of any given area.

https://i.imgur.com/lKASGna.mp4

I love Disc Golf. It's COVID-safe, community driven, accessible, and challenging. The people that play it are friendly, it is an excellent excuse to spend an afternoon outside, you can play it year round, and it's just as fun with a few beers in you as it is in a serious game with money on the line. Do yourself a favor: get some discs, get some friends (maybe you'll find some here) and go throw some discs!

:siren: GOON ACE DICS :siren:

focIP

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Easychair Bootson posted:

Recommendation for new players: Don't buy discs that blend in with your environment (green being a common offender), and think twice about buying discs that are "tie-dyed," or as we call them, camouflage. My bag is full of discs that are solid pink, orange, white, and sometimes blue or red. You would think yellow would be good but it's a bit too close to green. You can get away with the harder-to-see colors on stuff like putters but I'm not climbing through poison ivy to look for my buddy's leaf-green Destroyer that he shanked into the woods for the fifth time.

In the OP there is a photo of my friend throwing at Breckenridge, CO. That day we found a black driver in the rough on the 2nd or 3rd hole. I'd never seen a black disc before and I figured I would never throw it because what psycho would throw a black disc? A few holes later my friend asked to throw the disc, shanked it into the rough, and we never saw it again.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

COURSE REPORT
COURSE: Calvert, MD.
Date: 6/24/2020
Holes 18
Course Conditions: Both partially flooded and on fire

https://i.imgur.com/iT2R2v1.mp4

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

I'm sorry to say this, but the thread title is all wrong. Regular golf is for beer, disc golf is for WEED

I believe we can find middle ground and it can be for both

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

net work error posted:

I was looking through some of the courses near me on dgcoursereview and I see some of them have pin position information for some of the holes. What's that about?

Most courses have 2-4 possible basket positions for each hole, which the course managers will switch up every now and then to provide variety. So the next time you play the course you may be shooting for a basket that's in a completely different position from the previous time you played.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Some excellent disc golfing last weekend. Threw like 5-6 over par on a new course which for me is very good. I've become much more confident in my anhyzer shots and am looking forward to throwing a new course tomorrow!

Threw this for the first time and it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5S9Slo1QM0

Some frogs makin a racket on the back 9.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Quantrill posted:

Aced a 228-foot hole on Thursday. Felt good.

Hell yes :thurman:

Made some tweaks to my drive & putt this week that results in some excellent shots including hitting this 80 foot putt

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Easychair Bootson posted:

Our favorite heckle is to crack a beer during someone's run-up. Highly recommended.

:hmmyes: *takes notes*

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The opposite side of the rule is my normal course, which has 18 holes crammed very densely with almost no bushes at all, so there are multiple holes where throwing from out of bounds is clearly better than taking the penalty.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

But landing out of bounds means you take a penalty stroke, even if you throw from the lie or wind it back to where it went OB.

Yeah, I'm saying on our regular course it's often much easier to approach from out of bounds than it is to bring it back on so there's no reason to expect people to bring it back in any situation which kind of sucks. I should have worded it different, by penalty I meant just having to bring it back onto the course is essentially another penalty on top of the stroke.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 11, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Shortly after playing my best game yet (+2 on 18 w/ 3 birdies) I got a fuckin puppy and haven't played since. But the pup is being trained to only eat his disc and not my discs so that one day he can accompany us onto the course.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Those discs own, especially that Glow Buzz

With the pup now acclimated to commands (as much as a 5 month old dog can be) I have been able to get him to to the disc golf course a few times and he has learned not to play with the discs. He will chase them to the ground if you let him but he gets treats if he just sniffs them without picking them up, and he only touched one disc on 9 holes today. Excellent.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The courses are absolutely fine this time of year :discourse:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Karma! Did a very long course today (almost 4 miles beginning to end!) and returned a lost disc. For my reward I got my first ever Par on at 18 hole course :thurman:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

In addition to rounding, Failing to follow through is also a big part of discs going high, as well as letting your weight stay on your back foot instead of shifting it to your front.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

fociP posted:

The Minnesota tournament scene is nuts this year, big local spring events are filling in minutes on disc golf scene. Even little C-Tiers are filling in days unless you travel out to the rural parts of the state. I can't even imagine how busy it will get this summer. A few locals are talking about creating a flood of new C-Tier tournaments to try to meet the demand, but I guess we successfully Grew the Sport so well during the pandemic that the flood of new competitive players is overwhelming.

I got 2 birdies today on 219 and 245 foot holes. It was above zero degrees for the first time in 2 weeks. Good day.

Here my homies won't play if it's under 50 :mad:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

That was a wild fuckin' finish.

Went and played this weekend and got to implement my crown marker for the first time. Whoever wins a hole gets to use this mini marker until someone else beats them on a hole. Meant to add a little fun competition, and I had some pieces of scrap around at work with some time on my hands.

Downside is the thing weighs like a pound and a half. Heavy is the crown, I guess.

Rad

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'll always love the buzz because its flight line gives excellent feedback about how you're throwing the disc itself. You can usually see deficiencies in your throw in the flight itself so it's a great learning disc.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

fociP posted:

What's going on goons just here to post MY ACE DISC

I highly recommend playing with kids so you can play the short tees, plus I have a reminder for my friend's kid that he couldn't spell his name in first grade.

I added this to the OP and will continue to add any ace discs that are posted to the OP

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I threw for the first time this year today and only ended up six over on an 18 hole course, not bad for a first outing and it really felt like the pieces were coming back together on the back half of the course.

The "disc doesn't move" exercise video that was posted here is great and really helped me put together a piece of my throw that wasn't there before.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dead Nerve posted:

As a casual rear end without a number, the courses are out there and all I need is one disc to have fun. The PDGA under the WFDF has no say in my game. I hope y'all figure out the competitive side of things but it's always just me verse the course.

Friend it certainly does, as the PDGA has a notable influence on how courses are run and managed across the country. The culture of the PDGA matters even if you're a drink beer and throw disc guy like me.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I moved and all my discs are in a container getting shipped here. I just played a random draw doubles with a borrowed avair and made cash. Some dude at the start called me a newbie when he saw I had 1 disc so it was super sick to get 2nd place.
Lmao hell yeah

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Extremely sad to me that professionalization almost always comes part and parcel with this poo poo. Disc golf has always been open being open to everyone and very accessible and it sucks that the culture war is bleeding into the sport like this.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Got to do some discing in the denver area this week and good lord I'm jealous of how dense their disc golf course scene is. There's so many in such a small area.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

thotsky posted:

People who write their name and phone number on discs. Are you expecting me to take hours out of my day to return you something that costs 15 bucks?

Yikes

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

This is wrong, actually.

The fastest disc is the one I have yet to purchase.

The red one you have yet to purchase*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

thotsky posted:

My brother likes going diving in the water hazards, picking up like 40 discs, some of which go in while he is out there, and taking them all home.

That's a time honored tradition tho. It would be cool if he texted some folks but I think everyone assumed a disc in a water hazard is just gone