Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powermac
Jan 10, 2011

I GET NO SPAM
dvorakdotorgslashblog
I have a 13in MacBook Pro with USB-C ports.

I still use a loving Thunderbolt Display because 1) it looks good 2) it has speakers that are decent and 3) mic and webcam

I need something ~R E T I N A~ and large - that can be powered by my dinky laptop. every time I google some poo poo I just get tons of blog spam and stupid loving ACER CURVED GAMER DISPLAYS and all I want is a modern monitor from apple that costs $1,999 but until then

please yospos, find me a monitor for my home office that doesn't suck poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powermac
Jan 10, 2011

I GET NO SPAM
dvorakdotorgslashblog
here's a Good™ monitor

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

pity reply

powermac
Jan 10, 2011

I GET NO SPAM
dvorakdotorgslashblog

thank you it seems that no good monitors exist

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you missed sh/sc there amigo

powermac
Jan 10, 2011

I GET NO SPAM
dvorakdotorgslashblog

Jonny 290 posted:

you missed sh/sc there amigo

nah I wanted pure unadulterated POS replies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just get a 1080p whatever. everybody in yospos is 52 years old with bad eyes, retina is wasted on us

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

powermac posted:

here's a Good™ monitor

if it's not beige it's no good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I literally spent a week when lockdown happened looking for a good monitor. the answer is there are none.

5k or more, don’t exist unless you want one of those 8k displays that are really 2 4K displays side by side.
4K is only available in large (30” or more) format. you can’t find one with high enough pixel density to use in 2x retina mode.
thunderbolt displays don’t exist. usb-c DP displays almost don’t exist, there’s maybe one out there.
everything in the windows ecosystem is utter garbage low res, low quality poo poo displays.

the LG Mac thunderbolt displays are the only thing that comes close. they are lousy mechanically but the display itself is great (minus the image retention problems) and it has a good camera and serviceable speakers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
UP3017 is the best available monitor right now as its the highest res 16x10 monitor available. i'm hoping that the 16x10 panels on the new xpses are well liked enough to get new 16x10 monitors into the market.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

serviceable speakers.

you're really not supposed to use built-in monitor speakers. you're supposed to buy good quality "monitor speakers"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've had very good luck with my dell 2518D with my work powerbook and mac mini, [dell has since replaced it with the 2520]. it's not retina but what the practical outcome of that is every generic usb C, displayport or hdmi cable I've plugged into it works perfectly. it has lots of screen space and good color

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

trinitron crt op

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

idk probably not

even if u find one that looks good all you have to do is google it and there will be many pages explaining why its actually bad, you idiot. you fool. 2.15 millisecond response time is unusable and u need 2.12 or lower. you schmuck.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

even if u find a good monitor the stand it comes with will be absolute trash

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
good news for you apple started making monitors again

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
came to post the display youre already using op

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i've been using this since last month and really like it so far: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

for reference i had been using another 30" dell monitor from 2007 that did 2560x1600 up until this new one, so i definitely got my money's worth out of it and i hope this new one lasts so long. works perfectly over usb-c to my work laptop!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

psiox posted:

i've been using this since last month and really like it so far: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

usb c good
31.5 inch 4K not so good.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why is that not good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
16x9

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
it's definitely on the verge of making me wish it were curved

and yeah my previous monitor being 16x10 and this one being 16x9 kinda fucks me up sometimes

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Jonny 290 posted:

just get a 1080p whatever. everybody in yospos is 52 years old with bad eyes, retina is wasted on us

this is the correct answer

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I think the only way to get a good monitor is to buy an iMac or Surface Studio and use it to remote into the machine that you actually want to use.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like my viewsonic

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

I literally spent a week when lockdown happened looking for a good monitor. the answer is there are none.

5k or more, don’t exist unless you want one of those 8k displays that are really 2 4K displays side by side.
4K is only available in large (30” or more) format. you can’t find one with high enough pixel density to use in 2x retina mode.
thunderbolt displays don’t exist. usb-c DP displays almost don’t exist, there’s maybe one out there.
everything in the windows ecosystem is utter garbage low res, low quality poo poo displays.

the LG Mac thunderbolt displays are the only thing that comes close. they are lousy mechanically but the display itself is great (minus the image retention problems) and it has a good camera and serviceable speakers.

you can get 4k at 27"? :confused:

https://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-u2720q-monitor/pd?~ck=anav

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why would you want a monitor with speakers in them

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

WilWheaton posted:

this is the correct answer

i have incredible eyesight

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if you are cool with performing a 10-step every time you unplug your monitor from with a discrete or external GPU, you can get a 4K 120 Hz gamer monitor to run natively on macOS (at 119.88 hz???)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

trinitron crt op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jimmy Carter posted:

if you are cool with performing a 10-step every time you unplug your monitor from with a discrete or external GPU, you can get a 4K 120 Hz gamer monitor to run natively on macOS (at 119.88 hz???)

oh it's the person who made that ugly gimmick font. lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t have any suggestions sorry OP

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

hifi posted:

why would you want a monitor with speakers in them

you want one thing that does many jobs poorly instead of multiple things that each do one job well

might as well get one with a tv tuner as well

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

you can now get 50+ inch tvs for under $1000 that do 4k, 120hz and variable refresh, but for some reason desktop monitors are still mostly divided into 4k displays capped at 60hz and 1080/1440 "gamer" monitors that can do 144hz. the few that fulfill both criteria usually cost more than a tv that is over 2x larger

really sucks that 5k monitors aren't more widespread as it's the perfect resolution for 27 inch monitors. you get a 1440 sized workspace with 2x integer scaling, so no need to mess with fractional scaling that's varying degrees of bad on every platform

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
plus the problem with TVs is all the bullshit video processing they do now with their lovely phoning-home firmware

as colin robinson says, you gotta turn the motion blur off, i mean you might as well not watch it if you're gonna watch it with the wrong settings

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i was a good monitor

HALL monitor

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The_Franz posted:

you can now get 50+ inch tvs for under $1000 that do 4k, 120hz and variable refresh, but for some reason desktop monitors are still mostly divided into 4k displays capped at 60hz and 1080/1440 "gamer" monitors that can do 144hz. the few that fulfill both criteria usually cost more than a tv that is over 2x larger

really sucks that 5k monitors aren't more widespread as it's the perfect resolution for 27 inch monitors. you get a 1440 sized workspace with 2x integer scaling, so no need to mess with fractional scaling that's varying degrees of bad on every platform

you're under arrest

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

why is that not good

too low of a dpi. 4K 24 inch monitors exist.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nobody needs a retina display on a desktop. get a 34" ultrawide in 3440x1440. make sure it's IPS and has a high refresh rate. perfect.

Jimmy Carter posted:

loooooooooomarf if apple laptops can't natively drive 120hz displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

nobody needs a retina display on a desktop. get a 34" ultrawide in 3440x1440. make sure it's IPS and has a high refresh rate. perfect.

the only people who say this are people who have never spent time using hidpi displays or don't do anything with their desktop besides playing games. once you get used to hidpi text, there is no going back