Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I can play games at 27” 1440 all day but lol if I’m going to read or edit pictures like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Franz posted:

once you get used to hidpi text, there is no going back

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

the only people who say this are people who have never spent time using hidpi displays or don't do anything with their desktop besides playing games. once you get used to hidpi text, there is no going back

my laptop has a high-dpi display. I go back and forth between that and my desktop with regular dpi all the time.

yes you can see a difference. no it doesn't matter.

having the screen refresh at 120hz+ is a far greater improvement to the experience. none of this has anything to do with games.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

my laptop has a high-dpi display. I go back and forth between that and my desktop with regular dpi all the time.

yes you can see a difference. no it doesn't matter.

having the screen refresh at 120hz+ is a far greater improvement to the experience. none of this has anything to do with games.

you don’t need 120hz.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

you don’t need 120hz.

but it makes the fuzzy text scroll so smoothly!!

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
a vt220 display is all you need

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
thinking about a samsung g9, if you're ok with va. wait for the recall to finish up first tho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=burNkdZG0Bs

or if you want ips and don't mind only hdr 400 probably the lg 34gn850

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I can't believe Linux Drop Tips didn't break it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkwrW7xz1xQ

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I bought an LG 27GL850-B 27" monitor recently, and I would recommend it. When I first turned it on I was disgusted by the viewing angle and contrast, but if you lower the brightness to 50% you're all set. HDR sucks rear end on it, but now that I've used 144hz i'll never go back.

Thinking abouit buying an aftermarket 144hz panel for my thinkpad tbh

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuW4Suo4OVg

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

I stole one of these from work and it allows me to type dumb garbage into jet brains products and it seems ok plus it cost me zero dollars

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I stole one of these from work and it allows me to type dumb garbage into jet brains products and it seems ok plus it cost me zero dollars

:same:

thanks coronavirus

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

thinking about a samsung g9, if you're ok with va. wait for the recall to finish up first tho!

couple people have this at work at it looks rad as hell

our it dept actually wants to upgrade all programmers to this bc most of us have 3 monitors and this is actually cheaper, and it can display two video inputs side by side for people who sometimes switch a monitor to a secondary pc or devkit

one guy who is used to it told us that regular flat monitors feel like they're curved backwards now

I'm afraid that if I get this at work my flat monitors at home will feel bad

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I bought a LG UL500 something that's 27" and 4k for the ronavirus times and it's amazing. i thouht 2560 was fine but i was wrong. I run it at 125% and the extra screen space is so good as well

The_Franz posted:

the only people who say this are people who have never spent time using hidpi displays or don't do anything with their desktop besides playing games. once you get used to hidpi text, there is no going back

ya. i hate my work 27u11s now

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
sounds like figgys well spent

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

psiox posted:

and yeah my previous monitor being 16x10 and this one being 16x9 kinda fucks me up sometimes

i genuinely don't understand the fervor behind this opinion

if you need more vertical space to read or edit documents just turn your monitor 90 degrees. buying a monitor that's a half inch taller seems like a waste

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i genuinely don't understand the fervor behind this opinion

if you need more vertical space to read or edit documents just turn your monitor 90 degrees. buying a monitor that's a half inch taller seems like a waste

while you're not wrong, that's an extremely load-bearing 'just'

ive never been in a job where they buy fancy monitor arms. "it's already got a stand, just use that!"

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

does rotating your display still gently caress up subpixel rendering? I remember text looking really bad the last time i tried it.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

ive never been in a job where they buy fancy monitor arms. "it's already got a stand, just use that!"

the plain dell monitor i have at work rotates and it's on the regular stand that it comes with

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

does rotating your display still gently caress up subpixel rendering? I remember text looking really bad the last time i tried it.

that's why you buy hidpi displays: you don't need subpixel rendering tricks to fake hi resolution text

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

this is a good point though, i didn't think about that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

a desk clamp vesa mount is like 30 bucks on amazon. yeah your company should buy it for you but it's pocket change for a six figgy yospos fuckoid.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i got a dell p2415q that i run in original retina mode (2:1)

ain't no usb-c but i have a usb-c to displayport cable and that works

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

a desk clamp vesa mount is like 30 bucks on amazon. yeah your company should buy it for you but it's pocket change for a six figgy yospos fuckoid.

i mean it doesn't matter any more because we're all wfh forever but you can't just go installing poo poo on company monitors in big companies. ThErEs a pRoCeSs

i have a sick wall mount double vesa setup with a laptop stand on one side and a monitor on the other, it rules

(people that just plug a closed Macbook in to a big monitor and use it that way bother me. that's a good screen you're not using)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bold of you to assume their employers outfit them with high quality dell displays instead of whatever 21-inch va trash was cheapest in the cdw catalog

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

16:9 is fine on the desktop, you might have to buy a slightly larger monitor to get your desired height, but you are likely buying something very large (large enough to fill your focused vision) either way.

on a laptop that compensation is obviously not as good.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
16:9 apologists are bad people.

edit: IMHO

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Straying from 4:3 was a mistake

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
11:9 cif all the way. gently caress yo powers of two

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

16:9 is fine on the desktop, you might have to buy a slightly larger monitor to get your desired height, but you are likely buying something very large (large enough to fill your focused vision) either way.

on a laptop that compensation is obviously not as good.

16x9 was a lovely compromise for TVs. it is not at all suitable for computers

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

it's fine if you have good eyesight and a 4k monitor

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

4k / 27" at native res is perfect if you have above average eye sight, sorry nerds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i went with having a large workspace over high dpi, so i'm one of those nuts using a 4k tv for a monitor.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i feel like the dpi of 4k@32" is still better than it used to be and still basically at the limits of what my broken-rear end eyes can deal with

simultaneously i have finally started using tiling window managers (amethyst in osx) and it's fuckin' /great/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

1920x1200 on a 24" monitor is the perfect DPI in terms of size of on-screen elements for me, but the amount of desktop real estate isn't quite so good anymore, though. i have a 27" 2560x1440 monitor now and at 100% things are just a little small but 125% DPI is too much...so I run it at 110% :pwn: i've gotten used to it

my current desk is a piece of poo poo that i'll be replacing soon, allowing me to have room for dual monitors. i'm probably just going to get another 27" 1440p screen, but a high refresh rate one, and run my current monitor on the side. i dunno if that will exactly be ideal, but i'm not sure if "perfect" really exists here. a 4K 24" screen at 200% would probably look real fuckin' sharp, but again there's the desktop space issue. so triple monitors?!? but there also aren't a ton of good 4K displays that size and i don't think any with fast refresh.

maybe i should see an optometrist to find out precisely how bad my eyeballs are.

infernal machines posted:

i went with having a large workspace over high dpi, so i'm one of those nuts using a 4k tv for a monitor.

this seems interesting but i suspect i'd be craning my neck upwards way too much for comfort with such a setup. what size tv?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a 55"*, which is comically large tbh. i sit further away from it than i did when i had a 24" or 30" display so there's not much neck craning

it's handy if you happen to have four separate RDP sessions going and or VMs with open consoles, etc. it's also nice for games.

that said, it's not really something i'd recommend to anyone either

*the dpi is about the same as my old 2560x1600 30"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So it's the same angular size as your old monitor, but better effective density?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not quite, i don't sit that much further back, just far enough that i don't have to tilt my head. the screen fills considerably more of my fov than the 30" did, the apparent sharpness of text, etc. is about the same

i generally keep whatever i'm actively working on in a vertical area in the center and things i need to check on or switch to off to the sides. 4x1080 make that very practical for a lot of stuff i do, and i prefer it to switching virtual desktops

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 22, 2020

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

well why not posted:

4k / 27" at native res is perfect if you have above average eye sight, sorry nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i use a 21 inch va trash monitor at work